Sign in to follow this  
Blacklotus

Hops Trellis' not harvestable in hops season

So, I've got almost 100 hops trellis' It's a (wurm time week) week into hops season and my trellis' have been on the ground for almost a (actual time) month now in varying ages. I'm the only one who should have the perms or access to harvest them and they are all showing as having been picked. I have asked around and several other players are having this issue with some or all of their trellis' not being harvestable.

Is this a bug, is there a reason for this?

Edited by Blacklotus

They will only work properly if secured before the growing season (secured/planted, over 10 quality). Have you confirmed that they are?

I'm on Xanadu and had no issues.

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

They will only work properly if secured before the growing season (secured/planted, over 10 quality). Have you confirmed that they are?

I'm on Xanadu and had no issues.

I had a good portion of my trellis' unsecured/not planted last harvest season and they worked correctly, that shouldn't be the only reason.

Pretty sure that's the issue. I'll refer you to the wiki:  https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Hops_trellis

It must be planted/secured in order to actually begin growth and reach eventual harvestability.

A maximum of 4 trellises of any type can be secured and utilized on any one tile.

Any time I've had an issue with a trellis of any type not being harvestable, I've found it to have become unsecured for one reason or another, including having been picked up and not re-planted.

7 hours ago, Seriphina said:

Pretty sure that's the issue. I'll refer you to the wiki:  https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Hops_trellis

It must be planted/secured in order to actually begin growth and reach eventual harvestability.

A maximum of 4 trellises of any type can be secured and utilized on any one tile.

Any time I've had an issue with a trellis of any type not being harvestable, I've found it to have become unsecured for one reason or another, including having been picked up and not re-planted.

I'm sure you're right and that may have something to do with it, but it's still buggy behavior for trellis' and if they need to be secured to work they shouldn't ever be harvestable if they're not, which is not what happens. 

Last season I had about 100 on 10 tiles and they were all harvestable. As you say the game doesn't allow more than 4 per tile to be planted therefore it shouldn't have had any harvestable without them being planted if the wiki is accurate. The season before I had the same issue as this season. 

Edit: You know, thinking about it, the Devs did change the code on how many of an item can be in a tile for certain items of a kind between the last season I harvested my hops and this season.

Edited by Blacklotus

Trellises have always been limited to 4 per tile that can be planted / secured (Note: If you secure a 5th trellis on a tile, the fourth one automatically becomes unsecured). Only planted / secured trellises will produce items to harvest in the appropriate seasons.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying why were all my trellis's harvestable last season when I had 10 to a tile, most of which were not secured/planted?

As a note, when i tried to plant a 5th trellis this season in a tile it gave me a note in events and wouldn't let me secure the trellis.

I have a similar situation.  I have a bunch of hops Trellis.  Some are new since last season, some have been in the same location since last season.  There are several that have been in the same spot since last season, they are secured, Very Old, and I harvested them last season.  They were never harvestable this season.  When the season started they went straight to a picked clean state.  Blacklotus is correct.  There is definitely a bug of some sort here.

I've had similar issues in the past, and what I found is if the /effective/ QL went below 10 (say, from decay damage because deed upkeep didn't stay prepaid for at least 28 days for the whole time, or it was off-deed to begin with), then the trellis becomes unsecured and won't produce fruit even if you later come back and repair it/improve it back to >10 effective QL but didn't secure it again.

I also know that I had no problem harvesting my hops this season, so if it's a bug it's not a global one for hops trellises.  Some other factor must be at work.

Edited by Tristanc

On 2/27/2022 at 1:14 AM, Tristanc said:

I've had similar issues in the past, and what I found is if the /effective/ QL went below 10 (say, from decay damage because deed upkeep didn't stay prepaid for at least 28 days for the whole time, or it was off-deed to begin with), then the trellis becomes unsecured and won't produce fruit even if you later come back and repair it/improve it back to >10 effective QL but didn't secure it again.

I also know that I had no problem harvesting my hops this season, so if it's a bug it's not a global one for hops trellises.  Some other factor must be at work.

So the issue I can see this season is I didn't have my trellis' secured, which is likely why they didn't produce anything however. Last season and the one before I had 10 to a tile placed in rows and each  was secured tho as mentioned above it's 4 to a tile and they unsecure themselves if you try to secure a 5th. All the trellis' were harvestable then for me in that situation, which is likely a bug in and of itself but I have people in GL talking about how secured trellis' are not being harvestable and unsecured ones were. I do know they changed something in how trellis' work code-wise recently because when I attempted to secure my trellis' this season it actually stopped me from being able to secure a 5th on a tile.

It's speculation on my part but I suspect when we had the update that modified how many items could exist on a given tile, trellis' were edited as well and something broke, so it got 'fixed' and why trellis' are acting weirdly this season.