Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Development Update - 2022-02-21

11 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Currently, I don't even know if the exploration update is even something I could get excited about.  We have nothing except the term "exploration update", and many promises to tell us more soon.

And this is bad, its been announced a long time ago and now when we suppose to be close to release, we still got no clue what it really is. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, Rudie said:

mqdefault.png

12 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

"Near future",  I don't think it means what you think it means!

On 3/12/2022 at 6:38 AM, Stinboi said:

When will there be more information on the exploration update? we heard about it for 1.5 years ago, suppose to be released in 2-5 weeks and we still have no idea what it is.

We're still hard at work on this, and I'm working on getting something we can show. I wanted something more tangible than just "here's a general idea", but we may go with that. I also can't believe it's been three weeks already...

On 3/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, Rocklobster said:

Is this still a thing, or is it delayed again?

Exploration has slid a bit due to the development of what I consider to be the headlining feature having had a late start. This was pushed due to immediate needs concerning the shop. I'm wanting to have something out by late April at this point, though as I said in my original post here, I'm not against moving these dates to make sure we're delivering something good.

5 hours ago, SmeJack said:

After a year of asking we still don't have an answer if selective breeding is supposed to still be possible, I wonder if it will take that long to get an answer about pottery jars, "working closely with the community" couldn't be any looser

3 hours ago, Blazecraze said:

Even just a little proof that they are working with the community would be nice.
We're a small community - who are you working with? What are you talking to them about? How do we contribute to the conversation?

I want to know who in this community supposedly has a voice and how they are using it. 

I will admit that animal husbandry has been rather distant on our minds. I'm hesitant to pull resources off of the exploration update to look into this, but I'll see what we can do.

The honest truth is that Exploration didn't really ramp up much until this year. It was scoped out, some features were worked on, but it wasn't started in earnest until February. That's why I'm also hesitant to drop the features being worked on as I really want some nice screenshots and tangible things to show. Most of the work is server-side, which means very little to show off graphically at the moment. The client work is beginning soon.

I'm also considering our current development cycle. We'll still have major features, but instead of several at once, I'm thinking of a return to a major focus on one or two, and smaller updates going out while that's in development. For reference, there are 7 features that I consider major in various states of completeness, though we'll likely be splitting them up into multiple releases due to the timeline being what it is. I feel that we need more to fill the gaps between major features, so there's less apparent silence from us and more exciting things like QoL improvements and so forth.

I hope this answers some questions. I'll do a larger post with the status of everything.

• Like 19

Is one of those features going to be "patching Java"? 8u201 is three years old, 8u321 is the current release of that series, and there are a bunch of crash reports in jvm.dll that are fixed by moving to Java 17 (and perhaps by moving to 8u321).

@Keenanappreciate the life singe. I think we all just a bit nervous since the last bigger updates where kind of well spirited but not well received. So we are a bit fearful of getting another one of those. We understand what the Devs were going for, but the end result not resonate  really well with the current player base, even if it looks like it going in the right direction. The earlier we get our hand on information about it the earlier we can maybe spot some problems that arise or ask question that shine a light on it in a direction a small team can overlook just because of its limited time and other things to do, so this kind of things slip through the cracks.

Edited by Radircs
  • Like 5