Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Development Update - 2022-02-21

7 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Even better, is fixing animal husbandry to make it less horrible no longer on the cards? The system is far from a joy to work with still

c'mon system is hilarious, so much variety, 0 control and long timers for rng rolling traits, it's like free lootboxes, what do you lose, besides a lot of time.. and hope

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Finnn said:

c'mon system is hilarious, so much variety, 0 control and long timers for rng rolling traits, it's like free lootboxes, what do you lose, besides a lot of time.. and hope

Agreed. Animal husbandry seems to need polish. 

Sad to see updates are half implemented then moving on to the next thing.

47 minutes ago, elentari said:

Sad to see updates are half implemented then moving on to the next thing.

You can also mention the combat update in this regard. It have improvments and you see the intentions but on the other side it fail to toutch on it in a meaningfull way and change relativly littel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radircs said:

You can also mention the combat update in this regard. It have improvments and you see the intentions but on the other side it fail to toutch on it in a meaningfull way and change relativly littel.

I'd have to mention a lot of updates over the years that are unfinished, incomplete or unbalanced. But I don't want to depress myself today. 

It took me 5 months from the AH update to fluke a horse of the traits that I wanted to breed, since then it has taken a further 4 months to get my first breeding pair and oddly a second in fairly quick succession. 9 months shouldn't be an acceptable time frame IMO. Since the pairs came of age a few days ago I have started keeping track of their offspring to see exactly how stupid the lack of any sort of selective breeding has become, I welcome anyone to have a look and cry with me, or giggle, either response is appropriate at this point.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QUXNsUGKn8mkL9ix-kafZ_KJZJOAzdLwqwMAf53hT84/edit#gid=1189716159

• Like 2

I am only surprised that mechanics are ok.. they obviously work, most of the time, some are with unplanned behavior or miscalculated math, nothing that can't be patched, but player experience from using the mechanics keeps constantly derailing into a ditch and isn't a focus, that is the main thing the player experiences every time it plays the content.

Besides running math if something works or is balanced by whatever criteria, the whole experience from using any of the content should be part of the planning for new mechanics, rebalancing or fixing old mistakes.

Exploration update:

Looking forward to hear more about it, but its hard to be excited about something we know nothing about. Any idea when we can expect more information? Since release is getting close.

VR:

Alot of hate for VR it seems, dont think devs intention is that people shall use it while standing hammering at the forges, for exploration it could be amazing if the proper preperations is taken. But yeah, depend how many will actually use it and if it would be woirth the effort.

Coffee changes:

Thanks for the changes, using coffee should come with some disadvantages, and restlessness wasnt enough, it wasnt intended to just give double XP as many seems to want, canbt have anyone running around with max skills in everything, would kill trade completly :D

Decoration is something thats needed, looking forward to that, also remember there was talk about an account option? that woulød also be nice if its still in the plans.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:13 PM, Madnath said:

Even better, is fixing animal husbandry to make it less horrible no longer on the cards? The system is far from a joy to work with still

Indeed this is so true! 

The AH changes have messed up things so badly that I now no longer have any interest in breeding.  Here are some of the reasons why:

- there is now no longer any market for speed horses, as only 1 or 2 are needed as steeds per player

- there is not much need for bison, as now all they are good for is bison milk, since draft horses and mules are better for pulling vehicles

- none of my bison have output or draft traits, only speed traits so I have to start from scratch for output traits

- my old horses have a mix of speed and draft traits, making them not suitable to try and breed draft horses, so why bother as would have to start from scratch to get draft horses

- breeding mules up to 4 draft is too painful to contemplate - as one needs a 4 draft donkey with a 4 draft horse to get a 4 draft mule, so cannot be bothered, too much RNG and

- and mules are only slightly better than draft horses at pulling, so really not worth the effort - plus they are rather ugly and have too many names the same.

Did the developers think about the possible consequences from the AH changes they made?  It would seem not.

The AH changes were supposed to remove ONLY the penalties to high AH skills, but instead we have this mess.  What a shame!

• Like 2

- I do agree, that the speed horses market has died out a lot.

- Bisons are still very useful to players that cannot afford horse gear, there are still newer players and players that have limited amounts of silver to spend and horse gear may not be their priority. Draft bisons are still selling.

- Everybody had to start from scratch though, after those changes were implemented. It took a long time to get the current new speed and draft horses/bisons out of previous 5 speeds. It would be very unfair to change things in a way, that we would have to start over yet again.

- I wouldnt say breeding mules is too painful - it does require more effort, yes, but for for me personally, that is just part of playing the game and loving breeding.

- High Animal Husbandry players are still penalized, I have multiple alts with different AH levels because of this reason. I do think it should be possible to be able to breed efficiently using only one character, but it is, what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloo said:

Indeed this is so true! 

The AH changes have messed up things so badly that I now no longer have any interest in breeding.  Here are some of the reasons why:

- there is now no longer any market for speed horses, as only 1 or 2 are needed as steeds per player

- there is not much need for bison, as now all they are good for is bison milk, since draft horses and mules are better for pulling vehicles

- none of my bison have output or draft traits, only speed traits so I have to start from scratch for output traits

- my old horses have a mix of speed and draft traits, making them not suitable to try and breed draft horses, so why bother as would have to start from scratch to get draft horses

- breeding mules up to 4 draft is too painful to contemplate - as one needs a 4 draft donkey with a 4 draft horse to get a 4 draft mule, so cannot be bothered, too much RNG and

- and mules are only slightly better than draft horses at pulling, so really not worth the effort - plus they are rather ugly and have too many names the same.

Did the developers think about the possible consequences from the AH changes they made?  It would seem not.

The AH changes were supposed to remove ONLY the penalties to high AH skills, but instead we have this mess.  What a shame!

100% true. Shame.

1 hour ago, Selenne said:

- I do agree, that the speed horses market has died out a lot.

- Bisons are still very useful to players that cannot afford horse gear, there are still newer players and players that have limited amounts of silver to spend and horse gear may not be their priority. Draft bisons are still selling.

- Everybody had to start from scratch though, after those changes were implemented. It took a long time to get the current new speed and draft horses/bisons out of previous 5 speeds. It would be very unfair to change things in a way, that we would have to start over yet again.

- I wouldnt say breeding mules is too painful - it does require more effort, yes, but for for me personally, that is just part of playing the game and loving breeding.

- High Animal Husbandry players are still penalized, I have multiple alts with different AH levels because of this reason. I do think it should be possible to be able to breed efficiently using only one character, but it is, what it is.

It is what it is should not be an excuse to take a messed up system and change it thus leaving a complete RNG shemozzle. Instead, admit it is a shemozzle and start developing it from scratch.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Baloo said:

Indeed this is so true! 

You technically need only one 4-draft male donkey, rest is having big herd of female horses, and spinning your wheel of luck(rng), until you get several 4D mules, draft fem horses should improve the chances, after last fix, but it's still wild rng.. not like before 50:50% or better odds to clone traits with high skill.

Compare pvp and pve breeding of animals and aging, you might now need a pillowroom to calm down or just go sprinkle 1-2 silver to arm your cart/wagon/whatever with a pair or 2 of whatever animals, breeding from scratch is time consuming and just a gamble, 95 skill does nothing to improve your odds, you still dice roll for scrap pile of traits that might barely be worth to keep that 3 speed because of it's skin, oh wait that doesn't reliably transfer by simple rules either and only speed trait sticks to skins, no draft op kind now.

reminds me of
4dc.png

• Like 3

Rip AH. I'm not convinced the new system is better than the old one and it kind of looks like the devs have forgotten about the AH fixes that needs to be done.

• High AH skill is still meh.
  • The RNG is bad.
  • The split to speed and draft is.. Well.. Who asked for this? Like, is this a good change? I'm sure someone out there thinks so, but I don't. I think this change made the game worse, not better, but that's just the opinion of a single player.

I'll have as much hope of the devs fixing AH as i have of them fixing fishing and will keep having that much hope until proven otherwise.

Edited by Borstaskor
Formatted with a bulletpoint list
  • Like 6

Take care now, don't do anything to break the code when it is so close to perfection. ;) 

Could cartography be part of an exploration update?

9 minutes ago, bigtree said:

Could cartography be part of an exploration update?

Cartography, what exactly?

On 2/22/2022 at 1:56 AM, Keenan said:

As for what will be in the exploration update, I’d like to leave that for Demona to introduce in future Valrei International editions. We’ll have plenty of teasers and information to share in the near future!

So in the next 6 months then....?

On 3/1/2022 at 3:03 PM, Borstaskor said:

The split to speed and draft is.. Well.. Who asked for this? Like, is this a good change? I'm sure someone out there thinks so, but I don't. I think this change made the game worse, not better, but that's just the opinion of a single player.

Yeah splitting draft and speed traits is most annoying change for me, as I care nothing about accustomed to water and would prefer some draft traits along my speed traits which is nightmare to obtain

• Like 4

On 2/21/2022 at 5:56 PM, Keenan said:

For Q1, we’re still hard at work on the exploration update, which has a tentative release date of the end of March or early April.

As for what will be in the exploration update, I’d like to leave that for Demona to introduce in future Valrei International editions. We’ll have plenty of teasers and information to share in the near future!

Is this still a thing, or is it delayed again?

When will there be more information on the exploration update? we heard about it for 1.5 years ago, suppose to be released in 2-5 weeks and we still have no idea what it is.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, Keenan said:

"Near future",  I don't think it means what you think it means!

Currently, I don't even know if the exploration update is even something I could get excited about.  We have nothing except the term "exploration update", and many promises to tell us more soon.

This in GCG's February post to investors:

We work closely with the community to ensure that Worm's [sic] committed audience is with us in the development of the game going forward. We look forward to communicating more news about the work with Wurm.

I think another Inigo quote is fitting; I wonder if they are using the same wind we are using.  (Yes, a bit nonsensical, but conveys my sense that my experience of what is happening in Wurm space and GCG's statements about what is happening in Wurm space just don't match up).

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

After a year of asking we still don't have an answer if selective breeding is supposed to still be possible, I wonder if it will take that long to get an answer about pottery jars, "working closely with the community" couldn't be any looser

2 hours ago, SmeJack said:

After a year of asking we still don't have an answer if selective breeding is supposed to still be possible, I wonder if it will take that long to get an answer about pottery jars, "working closely with the community" couldn't be any looser

Even just a little proof that they are working with the community would be nice.
We're a small community - who are you working with? What are you talking to them about? How do we contribute to the conversation?

I want to know who in this community supposedly has a voice and how they are using it.