Sign in to follow this  
TonyAvatarGaming

would there be hopefully other games like wurm online or no?

well ive been liking wurm online alot. People keep saying oh its trash grpahics and its like  after doing the tutorials. I just play it non stop and no to mention the deep crafting and building system is something that you cant find in other games even with like ark and conan exiles and other sandbox survival games. For some reason i keep coming back to wurm. Hopefully maybe pantheon: rise of the fallen will maybe fulfill that? Well im not sure will have to keep a eye on the development of it 

• Like 2

ONE VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION, what do you put into "games like wurm online", which aspects of the game?

conan, ark, rust and few other garbage games have nothing to do with terraforming, building and sustainable world, all of them are private servers at best - wiped every 2-4 weeks or the servers become unplayable

8 minutes ago, Finnn said:

ONE VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION, what do you put into "games like wurm online", which aspects of the game?

conan, ark, rust and few other garbage games have nothing to do with terraforming, building and sustainable world, all of them are private servers at best - wiped every 2-4 weeks or the servers become unplayable

tbh thats true 

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

Open world, crafting, and little to nothing like wurm is fallen earth, but it's what I've been enjoying in the past month.

https://www.gamersfirst.com/fallenearth/

Wait I thought Fallen Earth got shut down?  It's still running? I played a bit of that back in 2009 or something, after I left Asheron's Call and before I found Wurm, and I liked it pretty well. I might have to poke my head back in. 

If you like unique crafting and unique gameplay, Ryzom is maybe another Oldie   to look at. 

They are not not Wurm of course, there will never be another Wurm.

Well unless it is Wurm 2.0

Also Pantheon is going to be more like the original Everquest and really not much at all like Wurm. Though  Brad McQuaid's death was a huge shocker and uncertain how much it is going to change from Brad's Original Vision(TM). See The Future of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Without Brad McQuaid?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Life is Feudal looks like it had some potential, but seems to have fizzled.  I tried the private server version, and while the graphics was good, and I kind-of liked the tile system, I found so much about it to be frustrating.  The ability to casually pick up stuff that you then can't put down was a bit of a deal breaker for me.

EDIT:  Wurm 2.0 is sort of the online holy grail.

Edited by TheTrickster

36 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Wait I thought Fallen Earth got shut down?  It's still running?

It was shot down. The new propriety owners are trying to create a new version of it.

After having tinkered with that for a couple of years, they decided on a whim to reopen the old game as a service for fans, I think it is for free but not sure. This happened very recently and they had a great crowd there.

The only two MMOs that have been really similar to Wurm are Life is Feudal and Xsyon. They both had the terraforming and free building.

Life is Feudal was gorgeous but tedious and has been shut down. Xsyon always had a tiny population, it is still going but I am guessing their entire player occurrency is similar to Deliverance server.

For someone who doesn't mind the danger of player killers, I recommend the newly launched Mortal Online 2. It looks majestic, and has crafting that is in some ways simpler, but in other aspects more complex than Wurm. Simpler because it does not have the QL and imping aspects of Wurm, but more fascinating as you decide your own ratios of ingredients. This way you can invent your own swords etc. that no other crafter has, because you are the only one that knows the exact combined alloy of metals that are in the blade, and the weight or sturdiness of the handle, giving the item the best stats. Some crafters could find this more interesting than the grind and the lottery that is Wurm crafting for rares or supremes.

You can build your own cookie-cutter house in the wilderness in Mortal, but terrain and trees etc. are non-malleable.

Edited by CistaCista

9 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

And unless they changed, both of them were heavily PVP oriented if I recall?

Life is Feudal was thought out that way and certainly was clan-driven at launch. However, as I recall, I never saw another player in either game.

As much as I enjoy some of the other sandbox multiplayer games I don't think theres anything specifically like Wurm out there.

Even if their was I'm happy with the current state of Wurm and the development/update progress, also the amount of time invested means an alternative would have to be extremely impressive for me to consider it.

As far as the topic of Wurm 2.0 I'd have the same concerns about losing what I've built up. In fact I imagine it'd be a choice that splits a lot of peoples opinions as to who is willing to make the jump and leave their old deeds behind. Then again I suppose its not much different to making the jump from SFI to NFI, as long as your not losing your old progress completely.

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 2

There are some games like Wurm, but most of them are shallow in comparison. Wurm has been around for a long time now, so it has had a lot of content updates over the years and changes made by players in game, which result in the games history. I struggle to find any other game with such rich player created lore, since these things need time and players. It seems Wurm has had the most of it in comparison to similar games. Here's my list of games I found to be Wurm like:

Wurm Unlimited

Xsyon - Prelude 

Life is feudal your own 

Entropia Universe

• Like 1

There's the Star Wars Galaxies emulator servers of varying sorts. It's not like Wurm in most ways, but it does have a lot of crafting options and (often) a nice community. The buildings are all premade though and there's no terraforming. Nothing really compares to Wurm though. 

Edited by NeeNee
  • Like 2

Wurm is a niche game and the only game that comes close to it is Life Is Fuadal, the MMO version has since closed though.

I would like to see an updated Wurm version with better graphics but it might be a double edged sword and tempt a lot of players away splitting the player base again. 

I just wish they would improve the bushes and trees in Wurm, give us few more options and change that thatch roof, nothing like thatch.

Xsyon was almost a carbon copy of Wurm, it has since evolved and the single developer is pushing out updates regularly but average concurrent player count according to SteamCharts is 4 (four). There is a standalone launcher, much like WO has so that doesn't show 100% of the players but it's not much better in reality.

With all the good things i could say about it i'll go straight to the one concern: Skill decay.

The developer said he will not remove it so you can't easily have all skills maxed, without tons of micromanagement of what skills you get gains in. 

The game itself is really good but for me and many people i spoke to in-game, the skill decay is the main deterrent.

On the upside, the game is buy once - play forever. No subscription model anymore. 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:48 AM, TheTrickster said:

Life is Feudal looks like it had some potential, but seems to have fizzled.  I tried the private server version, and while the graphics was good, and I kind-of liked the tile system, I found so much about it to be frustrating.  The ability to casually pick up stuff that you then can't put down was a bit of a deal breaker for me.

EDIT:  Wurm 2.0 is sort of the online holy grail.

Life is feudal failed mmo got sold to Chinese company and the dev studio is pretty much failed.

rising world is the closest. 

as far as weird, oldie Goldie games -

a tale in the desert

dual universe