Sign in to follow this  
HawkHawk

The Dogs Update!

Hello,

I would like to suggest additions to improve the variety and usefulness of Dogs in Wurm, these include new items, breeds, and mechanics that create benefits to having each breed.

Items

Dog Whistle – The Dog Whistle gives further options on the right click menu to control the Dog, they can walk to heel, remain within a 4 tile radius, or use their breed specific abilities.

Ball – Throw the ball within range of the Dog, they will fetch and bring it back to you.

Dog Bed – The Dog will sleep indoors on the Dog Bed at night (can still be lead)

Dog Kennel – The Dog will sleep in the Kennel at night (can still be lead)

Both the bed and the kennel act as anchor points and have a right click option to enable Dogs to roam 10, 20, 30 tiles away from the kennel (they can always be lead further away) If a dog gets lost in the wild it can be recalled to its Kennel/Bed.

Here are a few of my suggestions for Dog Breeds and abilities they could have.

Border Collie

Roundup – When lead by a player, other livestock will automatically follow the Border Collie (up to 8 animals)

Watchful Eye – Can be placed in a field to watch over the heard, buff to livestock output within a 5 tile radius.

German Shepherd

Guard – Can be ordered to stand guard and defend within a 6 tile radius.

Scout – The German Shepherd will alert you to non-unique monsters within a 10 tile radius.

Cocker Spaniel

Forage – As great “sniffer dogs” this one could be set to forage as it walks.

Husky

Mush – In Winter Husky’s can be hitched to a sled, this is smaller but faster than a cart for getting around in the snow.

If you made it this far thank you for reading and please feel free to add suggestions for additional Dog breeds and their unique abilities.

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 18

110% love the idea of this. Well thought out, breeds highlighted and traits/uses that are common the uses IRL. 

Should definitely be considered for implementation 

• Like 1

A Labrador Retriever would be awesome as a swimming partner - could be used to stave off drowning as another option to "last Gasp" if you had one with you. 

+1

This is really a good idea and would be a great addition for many players.  

I think many folks would enjoy this and to be honest this could be included as part of a future animal taming and pet system overhaul

• Like 1

Both myself, and my dogs would like to +1 this suggestion. Would be great if we could do something with pets, besides just looking at them. 

• Like 1

Always up for more dog breeds... PUPPIES!!!

EDIT: A St Bernard toting wine that finds you when you need stamina regen.

Not to mention possibilities for tracking, hunting, guards, light packs, and other roles dogs play.

Edited by Karrde

Throw in some Aussie breeds.  

Blue Heeler:  Keeps cattle from wandering off and brings the cows to you for milking

Kelpie:  Same deal but sheep and shearing

Bull Arab:  Hunting dog - give it leather armour and have it seek out hunter mobs for you and engage them on command.  Will also play games, bowl people over and destroy furniture - just for luls.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

Great Idea Hawkhawk! Lets hope it is picked up and implemented :D and I am loving some of the other suggestions too! I have long wanted a hunting dog.

Tamed animals need to be revamped, it is ridiculous how easily they are killed at the moment, its completely off that a creature that can almost kill you wild, can be taken out in 2 hits if tamed...

Edited by HeddWyn