Sign in to follow this  
Mavrent

New Arch install and WurmLauncher won't start

Can someone help me figure out what I'm missing here. I have re-installed Arch to a new drive and everything else is working, but the WurmLauncher just hangs, and eventually crashes with an error. I can still boot the old Arch install but will need to stop using it soon. I just can't think what is different about my 2 installs now that is causing it to work on one and not the other.

The launcher hangs right after the first update, before the character select screen.

https://pastebin.com/QcHBCCpX

Edited by Mavrent

I cant figure out exactly what cause it, running it from a shell might provide more information where in the process it goes wrong.

I would first look into if proper driver for your graphic card is installed.

The JVM dies after calling into GTK. Wurm's old JFX is increasingly buggy and unreliable on modern systems. I am curious if this is similar to the problem the launcher has on Ubuntu 21.10

Have you copied your ~/wurm folder as well as well as ~/.java/.userPrefs/com/wurmonline ?

Openjdk and OpenJFX should be in Arch's repositories, so you could try installing java-openjfx and follow the workaround I posted in 

You'll have to figure out where Arch dumps OpenJFX so you can adjust paths. I've found that OpenJFX 17 fixes a ton of bugs I've had with Wurm on Linux.

Edited by Batolemaeus

4 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

Have you copied your ~/wurm folder as well as well as ~/.java/.userPrefs/com/wurmonline ?

Copying the ~/java folder from the old system fixed my problem, thank you.

Good to hear. I'm afraid it's not much of a fix, however. It is just bypassing the part of the launcher that tries to install Wurm (specifically the part where it displays a GUI as far as I can tell). So any change that would cause the launcher to display anything will cause it to fail again.

Having looked at the launcher in a bit more detail over the last two weeks, I am getting more and more convinced I should just write my own…

8 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

The JVM dies after calling into GTK. Wurm's old JFX is increasingly buggy and unreliable on modern systems. I am curious if this is similar to the problem the launcher has on Ubuntu 21.10

Openjdk and OpenJFX should be in Arch's repositories, so you could try installing java-openjfx and follow the workaround I posted in 

You'll have to figure out where Arch dumps OpenJFX so you can adjust paths. I've found that OpenJFX 17 fixes a ton of bugs I've had with Wurm on Linux.

As far as using this method, am I running correctly by using

sh -c 'env GDK_BACKEND=x11 $HOME/wurm-launcher/WurmLauncher'

or is there more I have to do?

The GDK_BACKEND workaround is only needed on Wayland using Wurm's bundled JRE, but yes if that is what you want to launch from a shortcut.

I was referring to the steps for launching Wurm directly with OpenJDK and JFX, which bypasses the launcher and its bundled JRE entirely.

I have been fiddling with Wurm and openjdk-11 lately namely using OpenLogic's openlogic-openjdk-jre-11.0.21, which worked except that it doesnt bundle jcef.

So I've gone to JetBrains project page on git, cloned and built the jcef runtimes, bundled them with openlogic-openjdk-11.0.21 and custom build the jre including the mods.

All fine so far, but now WurmLauncher throws a GTK-Error at start:

(WurmLauncher:25714): Gtk-ERROR **: 18:07:41.930: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported

Any clues how to resolve?

WurmLauncher dynamically loads some libraries from the host system. If your host system differs from the libraries partially bundled by the launcher, you get a crash. Try _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dprism.verbose=true" ./WurmLauncher to get some output from the OpenJFX part at least.

You can try to screw around with LD_LIBRARY_PATH order and whatnot, or just ditch WurmLauncher entirely. (The latter was what I did, because I grew so tired of it)

Thanks for the input, will try that.

Didn't occur to me so far to ditch the WurmLauncher, but then that's mainly where all the CEF stuff is being used anyways and the game itself runs fine with OpenJDK/JRE 11.

Read in another post that you got it to run using OpenJDK 17 as well.

How did you work around the 'AggressiveOpts' flags?

Edited by MarquisDeCarabas

Ah.. I see the issue.

I'm fiddling with the steam installation, while you were talking about the native Linux version.

There's hardly any difference between the two. It is generally easier to just instruct standalone Wurm to use steam auth instead of trying to hack around with Steam's layers of indirection. (It's literally adding "-steam" to the launch parameters of the client .jar, see https://gitlab.com/fb0/wurm-ll/-/blob/56b31d3b19a5bc0f4fd75294e1ae0edf2b1cb0b7/wurm-ll.py#L364 , order of parameters is important)

Thanks for the link to your launcher variant, going to try that.

Have tried to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the jcef-natives but the path gets ignored apparently and the launcher still throws an error that the libjcef.so can't be found in the library pat

Though, if I pull the files from the jcef-natives folder directly into the Wurm Online folder it works.