Sign in to follow this  
RavenLure

Blood Sweat and Tears, Letter to the Devs

This is a letter to the Dev Team.

I know this is an old topic but new to me coming back to Wurm after a break. I did look on a few pages and it has not been mentioned for a while. I would like my say in this matter.

Going back to my beginnings, sometime in  2017 ( do not ask me Wurm dates lol ) I landed in Wurm, with many possibilities and paths to explore. So much to learn and do. Many people to meet. And taking my first steps to becoming self sufficient. 
How I live my Wurm life is, well that I live it.  I do not grind every skill. That would, to me at least be like work, and when that time does come, when Wurm is more work than fun for me, I should not be here. I grinded skills that I deemed necessary.. like farming... and getting my cooking high enough that I did not kill myself with my own cooking. For other things like Armor and Weapons, well those things can be bought from many of the skilled tradespeople in Wurm.

Until one day, I seen a horse go by soo fast I was amazed and made my horse felt like a snail. I realized that I needed a skill level of 50 in Animal Husbandry. So I added it to my list of morning chores. I would boot my computer up, and grabbed my first cup of coffee before the sun came up. Waking up in Wurm, I started tending my crops, riding around the starter deed of Glasshollow.. those where the days when you could not sneeze with out attracting attention of an aggressive mob. Oh I have stories to tell about all that, but that  may be for another post. I had my cart filled with corpses, going back to my deed to butcher them all. Then, I started grooming the animals. I took in all the greys I could find, I held on to a friends animals nearly over whelming my deed.

Then I moved to New Spring. That too is another story. Joined a settlement. Tended their crops and groomed their horses down to the hide, so I could breed 5 speeds. I learned to keep track of parentage and traits etc...Till one day, I hit that magic number of 50! This was not a week or two in the making but months, due to my real world schedule and all. I was diligent on grooming and sheering  when I could. Even though 50 is the magic number.. steadily breeding 5 speeds happens when you got a sold hold in the 50's and that was fine.. I still made it.
I was in Wurm on and off for a while, after that, do to real world crap. Now, fast forward to today. I have a AH level of 62.74 ......Then I was told, that the whole thing had changed. All my blood sweat and tears for naught. 
I heard that about 65 is well loosely not solidly the magic number. That there were Speed and draft traits and that my old 5 speeds were NOT 5 speeds any longer. So it was a kick in the teeth, and the rug has been pulled out from under me.

Reading through the Wurmapedia, trying to make sense of all of this, did little to help, me understand just WHY, this has happened. I heard that this rose a big stink.... and rightfully so, as far as I am concerned, especially those of us, who pour our selves into breeding 5 speeds. For me it was an accomplishment and to be able to breed for a settlement. Others, was a source of income in Wurm. No matter how one plays, it was not fair. Sure I can grind the few levels that I need... but even with sleep bonus ( no I am NOT doing the coffee thing. I am not taking more time out of my day to do that and NO I am not spending money on coffee). You do not get ticks that often. I can groom 6 animals and get a tick of .0012 with out sleep bonus and .0053 with it .. and being in the favor of my deities alter.

I hope that no one says it is more a realistic breeding program.. It will be realistic when I fight Trolls at Walmart. ( ok bad analogy cause I do sometimes) but there are no hell hounds,  huge spiders or goblins in my real world. So to be realism does not have anything to do with it.

I know we probably cannot go back to the way it was, I would love it if it were possible. I would like my old 5 speeds to be  5 speeds. I would like this system to be tweaked to where is not so insane. Yes, I realize that this is all general, but I am not a Dev, I know crap about scripts and coding and the like. I understand  change has to happen but this is a totally drastic overhaul that is  unfair to the older players of this community. I would suggest that you, may be revisit this and see if there are any changes that can be possible to even it out, between what it was and what it is currently.

May I also suggest, before doing these big sweeping changes. Make a poll, or do it in gradual steps so it does not feel like all that we have done up to this point has been for nothing.

Thank you for listening. Now I have to get back and brush the hides off all the critters in Xan again.

Respectfully
RavenLure

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RavenLure said:

I know we probably cannot go back to the way it was, I would love it if it were possible

Ah, your magic portal to relive old mechanics is called Wurm Unlimited!

17 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Ah, your magic portal to relive old mechanics is called Wurm Unlimited!

I use to be on Wurm Unlimited and was a GM of a server there LOL. But alas all my good friends are on Wurm Online.

Your old 5 speeds are still 5 speeds, just what each trait did has been clarified and categorised, the mechanics of them didnt change. 

The mechanics weren't changed, just your understanding of them is outdated

Don't worry, you'll catch up! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Your old 5 speeds are still 5 speeds, just what each trait did has been clarified and categorised, the mechanics of them didnt change.

I believe the update turn the old 5 speeds(fastest horse) to the new 3 speeds + 2 drafts traits by default? The new 5 speeds(fastest horse) is 4 speeds + 1 rare speed traits which is not the 3 speeds + 2 drafts traits. 

9 hours ago, RavenLure said:

Until one day, I seen a horse go by soo fast I was amazed

as the op was saying the fastest riding speed of horse.

9 hours ago, RavenLure said:

I understand  change has to happen but this is a totally drastic overhaul that is  unfair to the older players of this community.

So in other words, its fair to the newbie player of this community? Its how this game welcome the new people to play.

Edited by Coach

2 hours ago, Coach said:

I believe the update turn the old 5 speeds(fastest horse) to the new 3 speeds + 2 drafts traits by default? The new 5 speeds(fastest horse) is 4 speeds + 1 rare speed traits which is not the 3 speeds + 2 drafts traits. 

as the op was saying the fastest riding speed of horse.

I heard that it might be a 4 speed... there are no true 5 speeds... since there are only 4 speed traits and one rare one.. so the highest  speed now is a 4 unless you get the rare speed trait.  The odds of that are indeed rare, So there are no true 5 speeds.

Draft traits are so they can pull the cart better or faster.. Speed is more for riding horses. To me, this is the game basically telling us how to use our horses, providing what traits they have.  To have any kind of speed now with horses on carts, we actually NEED the enchantments and runes if horse shoes can be runed,  to make up for the lack of speed a 5 speed trait. Not that we did not do this anyway, but now the need is there to do this to get the speeds we want or had.

Bald critters comin to a server near you! Raises Grooming brush above my head and yells, CHARGE! 

Some of the old speed traits are now classed as draft traits, as they didn't actually increase speed, but reduced the penalty of rider weight. 

There are now faster horses, maybe, but old horses did not become slower 

2 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Some of the old speed traits are now classed as draft traits, as they didn't actually increase speed, but reduced the penalty of rider weight. 

What he said. My new horse is faster now near water with the same gear or the same away from water I think, I think the carry weight is a bit lower. No rare traits just a new 4 speed.

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

It is not only the traits.. it is also the skill that it takes..to get what you want.  Drafts are cart horses. and Speed is more for single riders...

Taken from the wiki >>>>  

Speed: These traits will increase the speed of a creature when riding on them. These traits do not affect the speed of hitched animals.

Draft: These traits will increase a creature’s carry weight. They will also now act as speed traits when hitched and give a speed bonus similar to having the speed traits

Not only the trait issue.. but also at what point is it you are able to breed the higher speeds.  When I can you say I have made it ?    To me they took that joy and accomplishment away from me, this is what I am truly upset about.  Blood, Sweat and Tears, for Naught. I truly believe that this change to the game was not needed.  ( not to happy about fishing either but when I am done  with the journal I will be  done with fishing and all my fishing gear can rot. )

I will remain displeased.

Edited by RavenLure
just some formating tweaks

The old speed traits were the same, some made your horse faster, others just meant your weight didn't slow them down as much. 

Yeah, having more than 50 skill might be necessary, but it's hard to argue that a system that penalised higher skill was good 

20 hours ago, Archaed said:

The old speed traits were the same, some made your horse faster, others just meant your weight didn't slow them down as much. 

Yeah, having more than 50 skill might be necessary, but it's hard to argue that a system that penalised higher skill was good 

But it still penalizes higher skill since it means I can't breed draft horses now because my skill is too high. Most of our horses are needed for carts and wagons thus making drafts traits a big plus for us yet all the draft traits keep getting nixed for the speed traits because of my skill level.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:06 PM, Katrat said:

But it still penalizes higher skill since it means I can't breed draft horses now because my skill is too high. Most of our horses are needed for carts and wagons thus making drafts traits a big plus for us yet all the draft traits keep getting nixed for the speed traits because of my skill level.

I never thought about that... So they really messed up the breeding then. 😩

Ok, I am still left as to WHY.  What are the benefits of this overhaul...This letter was to the devs 😞, and did any reply? No. I believe I worded my letter well, and I did not do this in a upset rage, which would have gotten me no where. Still, I am left without knowing WHY, HOW....... I guess I shall close the book on this. I truly believe what ever answer I get, will not satisfy me. I will just remain disappointed and just hope that my weak suggestions would be taken into consideration.

58a923dead36af67b65a75ce9c538ba6.jpg