Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

It's about time

1 hour ago, DaletheGood said:

Yeah, so maybe I come off as an a-hole on this topic. Fine, I'll play that role on here. No, I have never set foot on NFI, but I had many friends from SFI go over on the release of that cluster, and the stories of the greed, avarice and complete disregard for others made me sick. I lost many of those friends who have stopped playing because of that toxic behavior, they've chosen to either move to WU, or they've stopped playing altogether. Now there seems to be a concerted effort to paint NFI as some utopia where everyone shares and gets along with everyone else.

Well, if I'm told two different things by two different people, one of whom is a friend and the other a stranger, who should I believe? And if other friends, or in this case people whose opinion I have learned to trust from their posts on this forum, have told me similar things, and the stranger brings more strangers to back up his/her side, again, who should I believe? Everyone will naturally believe their friends over strangers, you have a history with those people and you trust them. When a stranger comes along and contradicts that, naturally there's distrust.

To be fair to you i don't care if people come back or if Toxic players enter either server as like you said in a different post old school player know how to tackle that type of stuff, but what i will say is that i want my accounts back like most others, honestly keep the boarders locked by lock and key and charge people a nutty price to get there toons back to where they are now. ill pay it and i know others would too. then this all ends i just dont like the thought of putting many years in to accounts and then mothballing them. yes i choose NFI so its my bad if they never let that happen but its a shame and a waste, im over at NFI with skills exceeding my SFI skills i just want my toons no items. 

And that my point. i will apologise for flaming at you Dalethegood as i think i came off a little rude but please respect the new players as much as you would expect them to respect you. im not a bad person but i feel mutual respect is in order no matter what people are discussing and that everyone no matter how much time they have put into the game deserves a say without discrimination 

Does anyone have Hard metrics and information concerning the following.

1:Population 6 months before and after prior server merges.

2: Number of unique IPs

3: Number of players on each set of servers who pay for premium with silver.

4: Player retention data on steam accounts from launch. Here we have steamcharts info for current players.

This information would help shape the pros and cons of a server merger.

Meh, wsrich, no apology is needed. I know I come across as blunt and curmudgeonly, even rude sometimes. Probably a combination of that just being my personality, and having spent 21 years in NYC where there's little time or patience for niceties and small talk. But, that's besides the point of this (and many other) thread(s).

I do understand people wanting to get their poop in a group and consolidate toons, bank accounts and items. However, I don't buy the argument that such a consolidation will be good for the game. Mergers invariably bring eventual downsizing, both here in the game (as documented by many who were around for the last 2 major merges), and IRL. Here, I believe, it would result in people consolidating their stuff and shutting down the deeds that have essentially been placeholders for their things while they played on the other cluster. I don't believe it'd bring in some massive amount of new players (ala Steam launch), nor do I believe it'd bring back veterans who are on an extended hiatus or have quit - although there's many who make the argument that you never quite quit Wurm, you just take a break.

Point is, merging the clusters won't fix the population decline, and will only hurt Wurm's revenue. What might help the population? Updates and new content. That has always brought back old players who come check out the new stuff. Bridges, multi-story houses, highway system, archaeology, the AH revamp (although that really needs more work), etc. All of those brought back players who had taken a break. This new Exploration update that's coming has the potential to bring in new players, as long as the team can leverage it with proper PR and advertising. There are so many things that could positively impact the game and bring old and new players back even if just to check out the new stuff. We have a small team of devs with limited time. Let's use them wisely.

• Like 2

nvm

Edited by TheTrickster
Nevermind - not changing anybody's mind anyway

truthfully i dont see what the problem really is i am active on both the north and south server clusters, i have encounter many good people on both side i have encountered many not so good people on both sides, this is a reflection of real life imo when you leave your house you are just as likely to encounter nice people as you are to encounter unfriendly people. personally i would like to see the ability to  travel to where ever i want to without having to have developed an entirely new toon to do it. i have spent a lot of money getting into this game since steam launch and i feel that it is justified by the amount i pay the game each month to be given a nice option to be able to play how i want too. I just have to say the bickering in this forum is kinda childish. i guess i will leave it at that because i feel like there really isnt anything more constructive to say about how i feel.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

as I know this is a tl:dr sized post. But the question remains, who is coming back to play regularly because of a merger, and will it in fact increase the population and revenue for Wurm?

The people(not playing, not checking any wurm social media) left wurm shows the no interest of wurm, why would people ask them to come back?

The people(not playing but checking the update of wurm) shows a little interest of wurm or on a hiatus.

Maybe they left on the steam launch because the population was too overwhelming?

Maybe their friends travel to NFI but the person don't want to start a new character on NFI so they left?

Maybe the NFI newcomers from steam launch want to try SFI but waiting skills to transfer to SFI to experience a different mechanic/environment?

Maybe they can interfere the PVP environment of other clusters after the merge? And do all the naughty naughty things again under the rules?

After the merge the person can travel to NFI to their friends with the same skill and character on SFI without grinding all over again. Versa Vice.

Population are now stable without a game platform launch. The people who stay are actually the people who like the game, not someone just try the game. 

The people(playing and checking) are discussing about a roadmap, e.g. merging, which is interesting.

Edited by Coach
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 9:29 PM, DaletheGood said:

Point is, merging the clusters won't fix the population decline, and will only hurt Wurm's revenue. What might help the population? Updates and new content. That has always brought back old players who come check out the new stuff. Bridges, multi-story houses, highway system, archaeology, the AH revamp (although that really needs more work), etc. All of those brought back players who had taken a break.  ..

I think that an appropriately arranged merge (see my "Atlantis" proposal) may indeed tap into the 30-50k players resource who had a glimpse into the world of Wurm between the steam launch and end of 2020, and may bring back some, especially those frustrated and rage quitting when features like rare coins, rifts, runes etc. did come only with significant delay, some like gathering runes in mining and woodcutting cruelly and uselessly crippled by dev misjudgement and maldesign.  Others, in the course of 2021, quit in frustration about apparently being locked up forever in their shrinking niche, with significant disadvantage to the rest of the world of Wurm. 

In fact, even significant achievements have not brought back large former player numbers. I have experienced really great work of the devs, from creature containers to awesome graphic updates, even large projects like Elevation remake (first violently demanded, approved, then ashamably betrayed by the players), and Jackal, fizzling out without having attracted other than the existing playerbase (where many loved it and wish it back).

Let us get real. Wurm is a niche game and will ever be. To get significantly more players, it would need to tap into China and India, and I do not see many chances for. We can hope for a few hundred, or at best, few thousand more, and stability as atm one of the better among the not so good outcomes.

Further on: There is not the least chance or danger that NFI players will affect SFI playstyle adversely. That what Trickster and others (me, to some extent as well) reported, is not only in no way objectively confirmed so none of us can tell how many of those exist. It is also typical for strongly sedentiary players defending their turf in questionable ways, but in no way the core of some NFI crusade or jihad up to invade SFI and dig up your frontyard - the quest to find it altogether not even mentioned. Those adverse attitudes exist in SFI too, and are similarly locked up locally.

Merging the clusters is not creating  new servers. It is about removing injust and unnecessary restrictions.

• Like 4

On 4/20/2022 at 8:24 PM, Reverent said:

Does anyone have Hard metrics and information concerning the following.

1:Population 6 months before and after prior server merges.

2: Number of unique IPs

3: Number of players on each set of servers who pay for premium with silver.

4: Player retention data on steam accounts from launch. Here we have steamcharts info for current players.

This information would help shape the pros and cons of a server merger.

1 and 2 are available (to some degree) from the offical charts (https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_graphs).

3 used to be available, but it was decided "it does not offer a real indicator of population" (garbage in my opinion since it is a standard metric for mmo health, but I didn't make that call).