Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

It's about time

4 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

There just seems to be a different mindset on NFI, more entitled, more ruthless, less likely to respect other players, etc.

I've played on NFI since the Steam launch, and on SFI for the past 6 or so years, and I haven't seen a single shred of evidence for this claim of yours (a claim I believe I've seen you make more than once) that SFIers are somehow superior beings.

Have you spent any significant amount of time on NFI?  Is there anything specific you can point to that shows NFIers to be "more entitled, more ruthless, less likely to respect other players" than SFIers?

4 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

So, yeah, keep them over there on that side of the fence please.

Like if you could find an NFIer saying something like the above, it'd be a start.

1 hour ago, Minnie said:

I've played on NFI since the Steam launch, and on SFI for the past 6 or so years, and I haven't seen a single shred of evidence for this claim of yours (a claim I believe I've seen you make more than once) that SFIers are somehow superior beings.

Have you spent any significant amount of time on NFI?  Is there anything specific you can point to that shows NFIers to be "more entitled, more ruthless, less likely to respect other players" than SFIers?

Like if you could find an NFIer saying something like the above, it'd be a start.

Ye, I got you

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Ye, I got you

Okay...so you're saying *I'm* entitled and whatnot, I guess?  As I mentioned, I play on both clusters, so even if I am entitled and whatnot, it doesn't prove a thing about which cluster wins the most-entitled-and-whatnot title. 

Got anything else?

On 2/18/2022 at 8:52 AM, SirMuttley said:

I feel the same. My NFI toon(s)/deed are currently sleeping and I am not planning on paying the upkeep in 3 months when it expires. My main there is decently skilled and I've love to bring him to SFI, so I'd be happy with any of your proposed options because like you I have no desire to "take over" the other cluster, just regroup the team.

This seems to be the consensus of most of the players I've known. They either like SFI or NFI better and would like to consolidate all their toons old and new in their preferred spot. Many were keeping two or more deeds (at least one per server cluster) in hopes of a merge but more and more are dropping the extra deeds. And most are frustrated that they have skilled mothballed toons they basically have no use for without a server merge. Seems to me many more toons would be premium if there was a merge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minnie said:

Got anything else?

On 2/11/2022 at 7:52 AM, Baeowulf said:

I feel like our voices are the ones that matter, not anyone on SFI.

There's one just in this thread.

On 2/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, TheTrickster said:

in my experience there is an overall sense of entitlement in NFI that I don't see in SFI and a sense of co-operation in SFI that I didn't see in NFI.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, Cecci said:

the difference is real.

As well as additional corroboration

I'm not going to spend more time looking for more instances, but I know they're out there. I know that it seems that every time I see someone acting entitled in either CA-Help or GL-Freedom, chances are really good that there's a Cad, Mel, or Har in front of their name. Now, maybe I have bad timing, as I don't always look at those channels, and there are certainly SFI folk who act up, but it seems that the Steam launch brought a different kind of crowd with it than Wurm previously had. Those Steam types settled almost exclusively on NFI, and then add in the opportunists from SFI that went there to get rich quick and I think you have a very distinctive feel on each cluster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Minnie said:

Pretty much my whole experience of NFI, with the exception of exactly ONE player.  

• the undeeded settlement in the middle of nowhere, with a high ql locked fence around the well tile
  • the player who berated others if their local chat happened to overlap his/her local chat and they didn't introduce themselves BEFORE chatting in local
  • the absolute silence I received when I openly, repeatedly and somewhat desperately asked in global chat for help in recovering my corpse (including the above player, who I could see on-screen)
  • the large number of times a wave or greeting emote, or a wave or "hello" in local, was just completely ignored.
  • the player who complained to me that they couldn't take from the forge the iron lumps I had just smelted from ore (and had renamed while ore to make clear who put them in)
  • the player who was close by when I unhitched a horse from my cart so that I could lead it from my boat, and quickly yoinked it and walked off without comment leading it.
  • the buyer of my deed who promised me permanent citizenship and a place for my gear, only to then boot me with my cart and horses on-deed and inaccessible
  • the constant moaning about not being able to find mobs, when I was practically tripping over them and generally had 2-4 domestics in tow to give away to anyone who wanted them.
  • the player who DID chat to me while I arranged to give them a pregnant cow, and once they had it they simply walked off into their mine with no further discussion
  • the breathtaking prices quoted in WTS on the trade channel.

That will do.  It is depressing to think about.  I paid RL money to prem my NFI character, but found playing there thoroughly unenjoyable.  I am pretty hermitty by nature, but even I found the anti-social "vibe" of NFI to be repellant.  If that's your schtick, fine, but it isn't for me.

On SFI by contrast, of all the people with whom I have interacted I have had ONE who ignored me (and as they generally only popped in for about 2 minutes at a time, I wonder if they didn't even look at chat) and exactly ONE who's actions I would characterize as "entitled". 

So; scores-to-hundreds of interactions on SFI with only one player creating what I consider a negative experience and scores-to-hundreds of interactions on NFI with only one player providing what I consider a positive experience.

Some kind of one-off transfer, toon only with current skills and maybe starter equipment, might be a good solution, but a merge would probably take away what the SFIers value about SFI simply because NFIers don't value it.

Edited by TheTrickster
SFI Contrast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Pretty much my whole experience of NFI, with the exception of exactly ONE player.  

• the undeeded settlement in the middle of nowhere, with a high ql locked fence around the well tile
  • the player who berated others if their local chat happened to overlap his/her local chat and they didn't introduce themselves BEFORE chatting in local
  • the absolute silence I received when I openly, repeatedly and somewhat desperately asked in global chat for help in recovering my corpse (including the above player, who I could see on-screen)
  • the large number of times a wave or greeting emote, or a wave or "hello" in local, was just completely ignored.
  • the player who complained to me that they couldn't take from the forge the iron lumps I had just smelted from ore (and had renamed while ore to make clear who put them in)
  • the player who was close by when I unhitched a horse from my cart so that I could lead it from my boat, and quickly yoinked it and walked off without comment leading it.
  • the buyer of my deed who promised me permanent citizenship and a place for my gear, only to then boot me with my cart and horses on-deed and inaccessible
  • the constant moaning about not being able to find mobs, when I was practically tripping over them and generally had 2-4 domestics in tow to give away to anyone who wanted them.
  • the player who DID chat to me while I arranged to give them a pregnant cow, and once they had it they simply walked off into their mine with no further discussion

That will do.  It is depressing to think about.  I paid RL money to prem my NFI character, but found playing there thoroughly unenjoyable.  I am pretty hermitty by nature, but even I found the anti-social "vibe" of NFI to be repellant.  If that's your schtick, fine, but it isn't for me.

On SFI by contrast, of all the people with whom I have interacted I have had ONE who ignored me (and as they generally only popped in for about 2 minutes at a time, I wonder if they didn't even look at chat) and exactly ONE who's actions I would characterize as "entitled". 

So; scores-to-hundreds of interactions on SFI with only one player creating what I consider a negative experience and scores-to-hundreds of interactions on NFI with only one player providing what I consider a positive experience.

Some kind of one-off transfer, toon only with current skills and maybe starter equipment, might be a good solution, but a merge would probably take away what the SFIers value about SFI simply because NFIers don't value it.

This is eye opening for me. I have never been to NFI though I was offered a place by more than one mayor. I didn't want to abandon my friends here on SFI so I opted to stay. That and I really didn't want to start a new toon from scratch. But reading these accounts I now find myself fortunate for having stayed. I can honestly say that most of my encounters on SFI have been good ones with very few exceptions. I do have to admit that I have been guilty myself of not responding to local hails because I was either afk, engrossed in a movie, or chatting in alliance at the time and simply did not notice the local hail. Any offense that may have been taken was not intended. Also I type slowly so my responses are often delayed in a type chat situation. I ask for patience in this regard and offer the same in return. So I cannot take offense if my own hails are not reciprocated. On a whole though I do find most of these NFI accounts very discouraging. Perhaps a one time toon transfer is the solution? Though I would miss the one mayor that stayed on NFI. The other returned to SFI a while ago and seems pleased to be back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

I'm not going to spend more time looking for more instances, but I know they're out there. I know that it seems that every time I see someone acting entitled in either CA-Help or GL-Freedom, chances are really good that there's a Cad, Mel, or Har in front of their name. Now, maybe I have bad timing, as I don't always look at those channels, and there are certainly SFI folk who act up, but it seems that the Steam launch brought a different kind of crowd with it than Wurm previously had. Those Steam types settled almost exclusively on NFI, and then add in the opportunists from SFI that went there to get rich quick and I think you have a very distinctive feel on each cluster.

Thousands of folks decided to give Wurm a try at Steam launch.  The game directed them towards NFI in every possible way so yes, the vast majority ended up there.  And for a while, NFI did look like a bit of a sh*t show.  I totally get how folks might have formed a negative impression.  And I get how this impression, once formed, could persist over time if you weren’t paying much attention to how things changed once a huge chunk of that initial influx of players left the game, leaving behind the more “Wurm-y” (for lack of a better word) of the post-Steam Wurmians.  

But I’m sure I don’t need to point out the potential hazards that arise when we allow the behavior of a small minority of a group’s members to dictate our opinions of or actions towards the entire group.  It’s unfair and insulting to those on NFI who have done no wrong to anyone (which is the vast majority, imho) to imply that they are unworthy and unwelcome solely by virtue of their address.

My point is not that there’s zero bad behavior on NFI, or even that there’s necessarily an equivalent amount of bad behavior on both clusters, or that SFI is worse or whatever.  I only want to suggest that it’s best to exercise caution when it comes to making huge leaps in logic from specific cases to general categorizations, especially when the thing that’s getting categorized is people.

---

(Also just a tangent re. Baeowulf:  I see that they apologized for their comment later in the thread.  Personally I mainly know them as a very helpful mod in CA Help.  We all make mistakes.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I enjoy both clusters.  I don’t really have a schtick, I don’t think, but if I did it wouldn’t be anti-social and repellent, as you imply.

I don’t really see most of your bullet points above as ruthless or entitled or disrespectful.  Some of it is discourteous, or even rude, to be sure.  Some of it may just be due to inexperience, introversion/shyness, or inattentiveness.  But of course I respect that it added up to a negative experience for you.  I'm glad you found a better situation elsewhere.

If we tried, I'm sure we could find someone who had negative experiences on SFI and positive experiences on NFI.  I wonder how would we then decide which cluster is more entitled, ruthless, and disrespectful?  It's a conundrum.

We're all entitled to our opinion on the matter, @Minnie. Fact is, I'm still opposed to opening up the borders for the reasons I've given, even more so if such an event were to invite back all those thousands of Steam types to come swarm over the peaceful lands of SFI.

14 hours ago, Minnie said:

I enjoy both clusters.  I don’t really have a schtick, I don’t think, but if I did it wouldn’t be anti-social and repellent, as you imply.

I wasn't implying anything.  I was stating my own experience and opinion of it.  I found the vibe to be anti-social and repellant. If you find the vibe suits you, or even is neutral, than I am happy for you.     You asked for "anything specific", and seemed to imply a lack of time on NFI.  I gave your something specific from my time travelling all 3 PVE servers of NFI.

I don’t really see most of your bullet points above as ruthless or entitled or disrespectful.  Some of it is discourteous, or even rude, to be sure.

I knew I should have numbered them.  You asked for something specific, and I provided a substantial list based on first-hand experience.  Lack or courtesy / rudeness is disrespectful, to start with.  I listed 10 points - points 1 and 8 are the only ones that aren't examples of disrespect, but they are examples of entitlement attitudes (as are several others).  Trying to steal someone else's freshly smelted iron is pretty ruthless, as is lurking and pinching the horse they had caught in the brief window when the horse is unhitched and unled.   

I'm glad you found a better situation elsewhere.

I was already pretty happy with my experience in SFI, and had been working a character in each, so I simply stopped bothering in NFI.

If we tried, I'm sure we could find someone who had negative experiences on SFI and positive experiences on NFI.

Well, the difference is "trying" to find someone, as opposed to experiencing it directly.  I shared my extended experience and my opinion of it.  It was the fact that the whole situation wasn't improving that made me realize I was avoiding logging in on NFI, and when that happens "game" and "recreation" have ceased.  As I stated, I have had a great many interactions on both clusters, and in both cases there has been an overwhelming experience one way with only a singular experience the other.  In NFI I travelled over a large portion of 3 servers hoping for a different experience, until I gave up.  Sure, I would like to get my NFI character over to SFI, but it the only mechanism for that involves opening the way for the NFI culture that I perceived to take root in SFI, I would rather see the character remain dormant.

• Like 1

Please either merge NFI and SFI so we can get PMK and be able to enjoy the game to its full abilities, and play with everyone, or at least open Defiance so we have the ability to transfer our stuff and skills. PLEASE!!! I was misled when i first started playing and have put in a lot of time and money and don't want to start over on SFI. I am in a pretty large alliance and they all agree.

Seems to me like a lot of people are pointing at the way people behave in game rather than the benefits and loses. people have bad experience's who live close to others that's why you find a good alliance and live close to them just like we all do. Many people know me from SFI & NFI and i try to be the friendly type on wurm and always have, i have spent gold's in game on NFI making housing and market deeds even buying deed for players who want to join our alliance and giving them a years time on it, the people you meet in game are exactly the same as in real life you get the nice people and the occasional D*ck. sorry to be so blunt but that's the way life is and always has been, i have played this game for many many years and owned and ran many different accounts and played on all servers this game has had and met some of the most talked about people here, and i feel the same way i feel let down that we cant open the boarders to allow people things in the game thats we are missing out on 

PVP -NFI miss the chance to travel to PVP like SFI do we have to go through the portal and kind of start fresh, never done it but its not the same as being able to go over and start a deed with your own skills not leading a double life. 

Players - i have 6 toons all mothballed on a deed that was ones 50x50 now a 5x5 to house them and a few items. seems silly how a game like this open world would let people build up a portfolio of accounts and spend real hard money and time on them and make another set of servers and lock them off from each other. i currently have 12 accounts on NFI to be able sermon to myself not to spam build things for rares or bricks but to stand there and be a 0.01 a skill gain every single one is premed up, you open the boarders and the other 6 will come here and be premed too, myself and a lot of others want there accounts back to be able to prem and use there hard investments that they made in the past before NFI. 

Deeds - Like i said i had a 50x50 that i made into a 5x5 well i would remake the deed back to its original size and use it as a SFI hub for when i want to come over to them lands where i was originally from. 

Not sure why its so hard to open the boarders even if it was restricted it would be better than just keeping them closed its a waste on all parties. 

Sorry if people disagree but i for one and feeling really sore and people might say well why did you move then and leave your stuff on SFI to mothball - my answer is that no one said they wouldn't open the boarders and i wanted to be apart of the new servers and meet fantastic people and create my own alliance of nice people to play the game with. when i was on SFI it was dead and growing more and more dead by the day so NFI was the much needed move. now we have more players we could open up and let people re populate the lands.

Seems a little like the game has been on hold for a while as even now the NFI has clamed down the sign is still there advising new players to go to Cad - Maybe a oversight but just feels the game is being Mothballed in some ways. 

I know a few people here are big spenders in the game who are voting for a merge and i cant see these people if they are in the same mind set as me keep pumping funds into a game where we are locked on 2 sides. its gone on for long enough now. 

Sorry for the people who get tilted by this but this is my thoughts and i feel i needed to say it as i have put my fair share of hard earned money / time into this game everyone deserves there opinion. but please if someone is going to post about why it should or shouldn't make it valid reasons not just the person who lives next to me is horrible so the whole server is .. just makes people question why you didn't just move away and start somewhere else. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wsrich said:

no one said they wouldn't open the boarders

There was plenty of people  - Archaed, all of the Valrei International posts, the discussions in Dev Blogs about the new servers leading up to it - they all said there was no plan to merge the clusters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaletheGood said:

There was plenty of people  - Archaed, all of the Valrei International posts, the discussions in Dev Blogs about the new servers leading up to it - they all said there was no plan to merge the clusters.

Correct, it's been stated numerous times, recently by Keenan himself, that there is no plan to merge the clusters. However it's also been said that it may happen eventually. The economies being in wildly different states from each other is likely the main reason it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Really quite dumbfounded with your previous comments though. You think it's appropriate to keep separate two halves of a massively dwindling population, solely based on mildly negative encounters you had nearly two years ago, with players who likely haven't been seen since? Lmao

Pretending SFI is a golden snowflake compared to NFI is not only dishonest but also very damaging. They're both the same mmo, and both suffer the same toxic players and situations

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Synjor said:

both suffer the same toxic players and situations

I don't agree. Sure there are toxic players in SFI, no it's not some rosy snowflake, but there is a difference in attitude of a larger percentage of NFI'ers than SFI. That's my position, I'm sticking to it. you and I will see things differently, that's fine. I'm not budging tho. IF the clusters are merged, then I'll make the appropriate steps to ensure that my lands are not overrun with deplorables Steam types. If that makes me some enemies along the way, oh well, won't be the first time.

• Like 2

I certainly wouldn't object to making Defiance sailable from the NFI PVE islands.  

One, it wouldn't make any difference to SFI and b) it would answer some of the current complaints about NFI gameplay.

Edited by TheTrickster

13 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

Could you please give the link to these post you read this in ????

2 minutes ago, Maiya said:

Could you please give the link to these post you read this in ????

Go to the original announcements of the steam launch.  There are more than one mention in that thread.

I don't agree. Sure there are toxic players in SFI, no it's not some rosy snowflake, but there is a difference in attitude of a larger percentage of NFI'ers than SFI. That's my position, I'm sticking to it. you and I will see things differently, that's fine. I'm not budging tho. IF the clusters are merged, then I'll make the appropriate steps to ensure that my lands are not overrun with deplorables Steam types. If that makes me some enemies along the way, oh well, won't be the first time. 

Why you are branding steam players and thinking NFI is lands full of these horrible people - well let me tell you i have played the game 13+ years and i for one have met more people i get along with and people who i can trust on NFI than i ever seen in SFI. not saying that SFI is a bad place as its not but you brand people with ignorance and you do the same type of post on all these threads, if im going to be honest i feel like your just expressing what your nature is as if i was to encounter your "Toxic" vibe in game i would want a wall around my place as your the one pointing the finger and "Being That Guy" your referring to, Maybe its time people take a long look in the mirror. 

So just to confirm you enjoy having the SFI servers "close" to dead loosing money for the company as like anything paying to keep a dead server running cost money, and as someone said previously only store money can make them money money that's in the game is just numbers going from one account to another and i know as well as most SFI'ers that there is an abundance of golds being held by years and years of people making money when the lands was actually alive with players. 

SFI - NFI 

Someone said that most the NFI big players was SFI players - reason for this is that people like to interact with others and play the game together and make friends if you want to play alone and in your own little corner where every dig of dirt/sand around your place is sacred then go play WU you don't have to even pay for upkeep !  im sure with comments like the ones you have made on here and other topics you wont be missed much. 

SFI has been around a lot longer than NFI - Obviously and people have spent years making there deeds nice ( But when i lived on Exo in the south desert the only person i ever saw was Nadroj ITS DEAD ) might of been some areas with a little more pop but i dont think there was many players at all i think logging in and seeing 20 players online was the norm.

NFI New lands and full of life spread thin now due to people settling in but its got population and you actually see people roaming around walking to places - Something you don't see on SFI 

SFI has Clicks and groups that keep themselves to themselves and NFI as far as i have seen like to muck in and help each other out. SFI culture with the PVP server makes them naturally stick together and not really interact with people much. 

I as a long time player think that a merge would see new blood and dedicated players coming over to help make the place populated again and to bring new life into the lands - people on NFI have public slaying most the time and share things its a community of players wanting to help others and will spend coin to do that, its not full of selfish salty people wanting to block others out. 

Also why would you need to wall your deed off ? just set the options correctly and no one can mess with your deed, if its the outside your worried about make your deed bigger simple. 

If that makes me some enemies along the way, oh well, won't be the first time.  < That comment proves to me that you are the salty person indeed and the kind of Toxic player you are trying to make the steam / NFI player look like. 

And just so you know its no secret that anyone who owns a steam account and plays NFI cant just install the launcher and play SFI anyway without a merge lol, its not a locked away secret.  people can do what ever they like without consent from you or your approval of anything and i am sure if people wanted to come over the SFI and damage  the place they wouldn't spend all this time on NFI to bring there account over to do dmg and risk a ban they would just spring a alt account up and start it on SFI and do it and do it way before a merge takes place. 

As i have said to a few Alliance members on NFI the grass is not greener on the other side but the other side allows us access to boat PVP and also allows us to collect our long lost accounts sat on withering deeds. i for one will never move back to SFI i might entertain keeping my SFI deed as I'm attached to it but never live there again i wouldn't change the people and the friends i have made on NFI for anything as the best part of the game is the people and you clearly have shown no interest to that aspect at all you just seem to point out selfish needs.

And just to set the record right as you may not understand this with some of the outrageous comments is that these horrible dirt on your shoe NFI steam players are keeping the game afloat by spending money and that in turn oils the games development bringing new graphics and content. so maybe just respect these people instead of trash talking about them as this game might not of been here today without them!

You have triggered this response as you clearly have a Toxic fixation on this topic as you have posted multiple times on different threads the same selfish Toxic things and you are setting a great example of the type of people you are reflecting on - i for one will stick up for the NFI crowd not because i live there now because the people are nice and Toxic behaviour is very very rare in the 13+ years i have played this game this is by far the best place i have been for the people i have met. 

Let us buy a Transfer token for 50s each account, make it 1 way transfer with no items or anything else may cross just the toon ill buy x6 and be happy. - not the first time transfers have been done as i remember when they migrated off Gold and if you didn't transfer you lost your toon so its possible. 

Edited by wsrich

In all honestly many of the people I talk to on NFI claim to have played long before Steam launch, its almost as if the two communities NFI and SFI, Steam and Standalone client, are actually the same people.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

WO Steam Discussion - City Hall - Wurm Online Forum   

Q1)  Would we be risking more fracturing of our player base?

I think it would be best to start clean server/s for a couple of reasons and aim to keep it/them in a separate cluster a good while. One is that new players deserve the feeling of being a newbie among other newbies with fresh land. This means that I believe their experience and inclination to stick around could be hampered by encountering very experienced

accounts and high quality items. As the servers mature we merge them into the main cluster.

No one said about a merge "Apart from Rolf the guy who made the game..!!!"

Again - wrong information all you got to do is search merge in the search option and go back a few years. but of course you don't want a merge so this doesn't exist 

Edited by wsrich

You know, reading over everything again, one reason FOR merging the clusters IS those bad NFI players.

You NFI guys are new, that's not an insult, we SFI'ers have had some terrible players too, but we found ways to deal with them.

One perk of a merge, is we'd inevitably take care of the problem lol

• Like 5

Yeah, so maybe I come off as an a-hole on this topic. Fine, I'll play that role on here. No, I have never set foot on NFI, but I had many friends from SFI go over on the release of that cluster, and the stories of the greed, avarice and complete disregard for others made me sick. I lost many of those friends who have stopped playing because of that toxic behavior, they've chosen to either move to WU, or they've stopped playing altogether. Now there seems to be a concerted effort to paint NFI as some utopia where everyone shares and gets along with everyone else.

6 hours ago, wsrich said:

people on NFI have public slaying most the time and share things its a community of players wanting to help others

Well, if I'm told two different things by two different people, one of whom is a friend and the other a stranger, who should I believe? And if other friends, or in this case people whose opinion I have learned to trust from their posts on this forum, have told me similar things, and the stranger brings more strangers to back up his/her side, again, who should I believe? Everyone will naturally believe their friends over strangers, you have a history with those people and you trust them. When a stranger comes along and contradicts that, naturally there's distrust.

Look, the bottom line is I believe there is a difference in attitude and approach to the game between the clusters. Everything I've read and heard tends to back that belief. Now, are there toxic players on SFI, sure. I don't believe I am one of them. I do tend to play alone most of the time, but chat fairly often in Freedom and with friends. I also work tirelessly to make the landscape in my area more beautiful, and have single-handedly tackled big infrastructure projects in an effort to improve the game experience for those coming thru the area. My handiwork can be seen to this day around the NE section of Xanadu. I also have helped countless newbs out over the years, and continue to do so to this day. Me wanting to tackle big projects by myself is more of a 'if you want things done right, do them yourself' mentality than anything else. Also, very few people play as much as I do, so waiting on people to do their share of the work is just frustrating.

All of which is getting away from the point of this thread. Getting back to that... In the initial thread on the subject, quoted by wsrich above, Rolf also put out the idea of moving Epic over to NFI. Clearly that was reworked and there's now a third PVP area, with different rule-sets among the three. This was clearly a starting point type thread to generate discussion, and as we've seen, the discussion took several turns before the servers were launched. Rolf has faded into the background with his buyout money, and the new owners and current crop of devs have never indicated that a merger is one of their priorities. I argue that it should NOT be one of their priorities.

Leaving aside my belief that there is, by and large, a different attitude and approach to the game in each cluster, what would a merge actually accomplish that couldn't be accomplished by the devs using their limited resources and time elsewhere? A bump in population you say? IF, and that's purposefully a big IF, the merger was promoted extensively and well managed, you would see an initial increase, sure, but would it last? Those people who tried it when Steam was launched and didn't like the slow, deliberate pace wouldn't come back - and I'd argue that those people made up the vast majority of the initial 25K who left. There's nothing to be done about players that don't like the pace of the game. A merge would not bring them back.

Those who left SFI to found new characters and exploit their knowledge of the game in order to jump ahead of the 25K newbs but then left for whatever reason, would they come back? If so, why? So they can consolidate their holdings (money, toons, deeds, items) into one of the clusters? The net for that type of return would be a loss as they'd move everything over to one or the other cluster, disband some of their deeds, and then stop playing. Again. Why would they stay if the game hasn't changed significantly and addressed their various reasons for quitting in the first place? They've already seen the lands on both clusters, so there's no 'let's go explore new lands' draw. If they want to try out the upcoming exploration update they can do so without a merger. So, the only benefit of a merger for those players would be a net loss for Wurm as they merge their stuff and then downsize.

So, that's two major sectors of the population we've lost since the initial boom 2 years ago. What's left to discuss? Those players who are still playing on one cluster but have toons, money and items stuck on another? That's really who a merge would benefit, but would it benefit Wurm? I don't think so. As with the veterans who left for whatever reason, they'd also consolidate into their preferred cluster/area and downsize, leaving again, a net loss in revenue for Wurm.

What other segments of that initial 25K are you hoping to get back to playing regularly with a merge? You can't seriously believe that a merger of the clusters, even if advertised and promoted, would bring a significant amount of brand-new players to the game. Maybe a few who missed the Steam launch hullabaloo, or just started getting into sandbox games might see an advertisement, but those potential players would see that advertisement (if it was out there) without a merger.

I'll stop there, as I know this is a tl:dr sized post. But the question remains, who is coming back to play regularly because of a merger, and will it in fact increase the population and revenue for Wurm?