Sign in to follow this  
Muse

How to *always* make IRON (or steel) scissors from strange metal scissor blades

Odd Blades

Do you do Archaeology?  Have you ever made a scissor blade that was...lets just say... NOT iron?  how embarrassing! ;) 

This can be a problem, especially if you get a rare or supreme scissor blade, as the difference in the sale value between iron scissors and other metals can be significant.

Myth:  You need another blade of the same metal surely?

False:  No, you don't - all 'metal' type blades will combine with an iron scissor blade, and all 'alloy' blades will combine with a steel blade - you can just make the 2nd iron or steel scissor blade (as appropriate) in the forge.

How do we know which metal type the finished scissors will be?

Myth:  It's random, isn't it?

False: No, it's not random - YOU control the finished metal type, and here's how...

Activate the 'odd' metal type blade and then combine with the iron blade (this also ensures any archaeology runes on the 'odd' blade will transfer to the finished scissors!)

The RUNES come from the activated (double-clicked green) blade, but the METAL TYPE comes from the non-activated blade.

Here's the proof:

Scissor Experiment

I made some scissor blades in archaeology, of various types -  5 were in 'odd' metals, so I then made some more iron blades in the forge (shown warm)  so that there were the same number of iron and 'odd' metals (5 pairs each containing one 'odd' blade and one iron blade):

Spoiler

iLhTbjl.jpg?1

First, the WRONG way: I first activated (double clicked) an iron blade and then combined it with a zinc blade:

Spoiler

LlYijWe.jpg?1

The resulting scissors were zinc (see below) and the runes from the zinc blade were not transferred across.

The RIGHT way:  I next activated (double clicked) a zinc blade and then combined it with an iron blade:

Spoiler

EaQAoZc.jpg?1lSNoLst.jpg?1

The resulting scissors were iron (metal type from the non-activated blade), and contained the runes (transferred from the activated zinc blade)

The remaining 'odd' metal blades had runes (left images), so I activated each in turn and combined each with it's own non-activated iron blade to make iron scissors which retained the runes (right images):

Spoiler

L9wVBtR.jpg?1L0ix1UY.jpg?1

pu3yZ3I.jpg?1MCzZkI7.jpg?1

nbIBDhv.jpg?1MW8zBjP.jpg?1

I hope this helps those of you who are lucky enough to make a rare+ scissor blade of *any* metal type, and want scissors in a sensible metal, but are worried about how to combine it.

TL:DR

For guaranteed iron or steel metal type from a blade with an 'odd' metal type:

Activate scissor blade with the unwanted metal and combine with iron blade if metal, or steel blade if alloy.

For guaranteed rune(s):

Activate runed scissor blade of any metal type (with the runes you definitely want on it) and combine with iron blade if metal or steel blade if alloy.

For guaranteed rarity from a rare+ blade:

Activate rare+ scissor blade, and combine with iron blade if metal or steel blade if alloy.

Update@Hailiahhas discovered we can use the above system to combine steel blades with iron blades to make steel scissors, and moonmetal blades with other metal blades to create moonmetal scissors!

Edited by Muse
Update 14 May 2023
  • Like 21

Disregard this, tin scissors are supreme. 

Good guide! 

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Muse... generations and generations of smiths have been keeping these secrets! We were sworn to never reveal....

Just kidding ;)

Good guide!