Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Actual bandages for first aid.

Perhaps it is time that Wurm had actual bandages for bandaging, made from other cotton (or wool) items and consuming those items in the making.

I am not suggesting disabling bandaging with cotton and such, although bandaging should not be possible with puppets, and using a whole rug or sail to wrap a bite on the hand is excessive.

What I am suggesting is that a knife/sword/scissors could be used on squares of cloth, rugs, sails, clothes, etc to create bandages.  The action time would be based on the weight of the material, and the whole of the item would be consumed in creating a like weight of bandages.  

Make bandages more effective than other cotton items of the same ql.  Give more healing skillgain for using bandages than other items.  Give healing skillgain for making bandages.

• Like 11

+1

Alternatively for the healing grind... improce success chance/lessen difficulty when using these bandages, and decrease success/increase difficulty on non-bandage items like cotton/wool or strings/cloths etc?

• Like 1

I too have been a victim of this wound covering fiasco. It cost me a rare puppet that was a gift. I don't mean to derail your suggestion, but consider the amount of time it would take the devs to create the proposed change. It is extremely doubtful it will ever be implemented. Instead, I would offer a much more simpler solution that only involves coding and not a new line of items being created and rules for old vs new items.

I believe it is under our ingame profile options where we are given all these choices about cross server tells, global chat channels, etc. Add 2 options there:

Do you wish to be able to use puppets as a bandage: Yes [ ]  No [ ]

Do you wish to be able to use meditation rugs as a bandage: Yes [ ]  No [ ]

If the character has selected No for either of these options, and yet accidentally tries to use the forbidden item as a bandage, the action is denied with a message referencing the option.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:48 AM, Soluna said:

It is extremely doubtful it will ever be implemented. Instead, I would offer a much more simpler solution that only involves coding and not a new line of items being created and rules for old vs new items.

A completely new set of items with new rules profoundly affecting the gameplay of many has recently been implemented, so I will politely and hopefully disagree with "extremely doubtful".

What I am proposing would not necessarily change any rules for existing items - with the intentional exception of items that are undesirable for inadvertent use in healing (puppets, rugs etc).  It would add a mechanism to create something better than the existing materials, by intentional action.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:05 AM, Nomadikhan said:

Alternatively for the healing grind... improce success chance/lessen difficulty when using these bandages, and decrease success/increase difficulty on non-bandage items like cotton/wool or strings/cloths etc?

Yeah, that certainly fits with being more efficient.  Although, I wouldn't change the old items parameters, just introduce new ones for the bandages, so it is an added dimension rather than a changed mechanic.

By all means, a more diverse healing and wound system would be great.

Let alone having surgery, prosthetics, actual blindness, and etc.

Well as far as one can with a pseudo medieval fantasy setting with gods.

I can dig it. The use of cotton as a panacea is just wierd. Make poutices and covers more effective than throwing a ball of fluff at the problem while we are at it. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:48 AM, TheTrickster said:

Perhaps it is time that Wurm had actual bandages for bandaging, made from other cotton (or wool) items and consuming those items in the making.

I am not suggesting disabling bandaging with cotton and such, although bandaging should not be possible with puppets, and using a whole rug or sail to wrap a bite on the hand is excessive.

What I am suggesting is that a knife/sword/scissors could be used on squares of cloth, rugs, sails, clothes, etc to create bandages.  The action time would be based on the weight of the material, and the whole of the item would be consumed in creating a like weight of bandages.  

Make bandages more effective than other cotton items of the same ql.  Give more healing skillgain for using bandages than other items.  Give healing skillgain for making bandages.

we kind of have that...

cotton -> string of cloth -> cloth squares

which is a lot of work if you compare it to combining several cotton balls into one and using that as your bandage(it uses as much as it needs 0.10kg to 0.30kg I think.. per action, based on the damage amount or place it bandages)

first aid is only skill for application of bandages/healing covers and later identifying wounds with bonus to shown information; the skill currently have no product to generate, like.. production of bandage with QL based on skill, having ql/skill benefits, etc

healing covers are natural substance skill

the role of the skill is just poor

similar with alchemy.. no option to make HP potion or temporary boosts to stats for pve or pvp

bandaging and applying healing covers is noob's tool to survive, later on in the game you learn to carry some to fix wounds out of combat, but mostly rely on LT as healing method as there's no other alternative, unless you hold a priest in your pocket (yay alts..)

I sort of agree.  However, cloth squares aren't better for bandaging, when they probably should be.  Also, being able to accidentally use up a more valuable crafted item is not good, while I wouldn't want to prevent the ability to use one intentionally if there is nothing else available.

This would hopefully add a bit of depth to the healing skill (admittedly, only a little, but better than nothing).  

I am still a noob, so I still rely on bandaging and covers to treat wounds  - I don't think I have a single LT weapon.  

• Cat 1

Would I finally get my rare shimmering bandages from healing MOIs?  ;)

Seriously as someone who constantly heals via bandaging I really do like this idea. When I think of bandaging I picture an actual cloth bandage so when I first started playing Wurm I had no idea that cotton was considered a bandage and nearly died from my wounds until someone used cotton and covers to heal me. And in RL bandages are much more effective than plain cotton. It seems to me that having to make a bandage of certain items first as apposed to just using the whole item (i.e. Med rug) would stop the unintentional use of those for bandaging.

On a side note I think the ability to caurterize a wound with a searing hot blade etc. should be an option for severe puncture wounds turning them into medium burn wounds. Also honey could be added to the equation as it was used by many ancient peoples as a natural disinfectant so maybe it's use could speed up a healing tick?

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:48 AM, Soluna said:

I too have been a victim of this wound covering fiasco. It cost me a rare puppet that was a gift...

Sorry for that.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:48 AM, Soluna said:

I believe it is under our ingame profile options where we are given all these choices about cross server tells, global chat channels, etc. Add 2 options there:
Do you wish to be able to use puppets as a bandage: Yes [ ]  No [ ]

Do you wish to be able to use meditation rugs as a bandage: Yes [ ]  No [ ]

I would prefer a catch all in profile or game settings:

Bandage with unprocessed cotton (and master cape) only: Yes [x]  No [  ]

In emergency situations one may decide to change the option, and allow to use cloth, sheets, even a rug to bandage as an intentional decision.

Leave existing mechanics as-is.

Craft bandages from a square piece of cloth plus a healing cover.

Make it easier to use and/or more powerful than applying raw cotton and a healing cover separately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

On a side note I think the ability to caurterize a wound with a searing hot blade etc. should be an option for severe puncture wounds turning them into medium burn wounds. Also honey could be added to the equation as it was used by many ancient peoples as a natural disinfectant so maybe it's use could speed up a healing tick?

Yes, there is a whole lot of depth that could be added to healing, so that it is an actual skill to use rather than just an item in a skill-list (if you see the distinction I am making).

I understand light bruising, and even medium, but how does one get a life-threatening bruise without breaking a bone?  It could happen, but fractures would be more common than killer bruises.  Fractures could be VERY slow to heal (and could keep hurting you and slowing you down) without a splint made from a branch or shaft.  Cauterizing wounds would be a great addition to that, too.  

Oh.  What about stitching bad and severe wounds?

I do like the idea of having to bandages from a specific item of material - squares of cloth for instance - but I also like like the idea that if you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere and out of bandages/cotton, you could cut up your hat or something in a pinch.  Hmm...   maybe "cut into rags" should be a thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I sort of agree.  However, cloth squares aren't better for bandaging, when they probably should be.  Also, being able to accidentally use up a more valuable crafted item is not good, while I wouldn't want to prevent the ability to use one intentionally if there is nothing else available.

This would hopefully add a bit of depth to the healing skill (admittedly, only a little, but better than nothing).  

I am still a noob, so I still rely on bandaging and covers to treat wounds  - I don't think I have a single LT weapon.  

that should be fixed..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

that should be fixed..

😄 I actually don't mind the roleplay aspect of getting injured and needing to do something about it.  

I think I will always be a noob.  

What about, a healing cover and square of cloth in a bucket in water (or wine?) to create a dressing?  Or put squares of cloth in a cauldron, add water and boil for a sterile dressing which you then wrap in a healing cover to keep in the healy goodness?

Use saltwater and it will heal a wound really fast but also leave you hurting for a while.

Healing could be so much more than it is currently.

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

😄 I actually don't mind the roleplay aspect of getting injured and needing to do something about it.  

I think I will always be a noob.  

it's a DIFFERENT game when you aren't required to spend time patching every puncture/bite/..., as you roleplay as blood baloon.. and wait a lot of time to heal severe wounds, treat them with covers, fail, repeat, it's unreal how much time healing in wurm takes and how little to no control you have over it.. vs priest mode and slapping a heal after heal as you passively regen favor, some aspects are completely imbalanced and with little to no thought.

NO wonder pvpers are mostly priests, huh (it's not just for the heals.. situation is worse in other aspects as well..)  😬

Life Transfer is OP. There, I said it.

The fact that it targets your most severe injury means that, if you come out of a fight with twenty injuries, one of which is worsening, so what? Go and find a bear or spider and your first hit will heal that one injury.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

The fact that it targets your most severe injury means that, if you come out of a fight with twenty injuries, one of which is worsening, so what? Go and find a bear or spider and your first hit will heal that one injury.

This is why I prefer bandaging over LT because LT feels like cheating to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

This is why I prefer bandaging over LT because LT feels like cheating to me.

Agreed.

I often don't even treat all my injuries (stingy with the cotton, you see).  As long as they are all healing, I will usually leave them to heal over time unless I am in hostile/unfamiliar territory or I am about to intentionally poke something with big sharp pointy teeth.

i like the idea of crafting bandaging it would also make sense for healers with divine magic be able to produce minor healing potions seeing we do have gods in this game, additionally those with natural substances should be able to produce salves or ointments to smear on wounds like healing covers that have a greater effect on healing ticks. +1

• Like 1

A change to prevent protect tents, rugs, puppets etc from would be welcome.

I imagine it could be similar to the protection these items have from being used as fuel (See patch 210128, Patch Notes 28/JAN/21).

Here's some old threads regarding bandaging protection.

Edited by Arno
  • Like 1