Sign in to follow this  
Batolemaeus

Wurm fails to start on Ubuntu 21.10

The current launcher does not work on Ubuntu 21.10 for a variety of reasons.

a) The version of JFX shipped with the launcher crashes on Wayland. This is fixed in current versions of JFX. Workaround: GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./WurmLauncher

b) The launcher tries to load a GTK library which is not present in the bundled library folder, loads a system library linked against libjpeg.so.8, and dies. If launched with debug information ( _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dprism.verbose=true" GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./WurmLauncher ) one can see a lovely stack trace:

java.io.IOException: Wrong JPEG library version: library is 80, caller expects 90
	at com.sun.javafx.iio.jpeg.JPEGImageLoader.initDecompressor(Native Method)
	at com.sun.javafx.iio.jpeg.JPEGImageLoader.<init>(JPEGImageLoader.java:185)
	at com.sun.javafx.iio.jpeg.JPEGImageLoaderFactory.createImageLoader(JPEGImageLoaderFactory.java:49)
	at com.sun.javafx.iio.ImageStorage.getLoaderBySignature(ImageStorage.java:419)
	at com.sun.javafx.iio.ImageStorage.loadAll(ImageStorage.java:266)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.PrismImageLoader2.loadAll(PrismImageLoader2.java:142)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.PrismImageLoader2.<init>(PrismImageLoader2.java:77)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.loadImage(QuantumToolkit.java:732)
	at javafx.scene.image.Image.loadImage(Image.java:1073)
	at javafx.scene.image.Image.initialize(Image.java:804)
	at javafx.scene.image.Image.<init>(Image.java:707)
	at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:3494)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$402(PlatformImpl.java:295)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$403(PlatformImpl.java:294)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$null$208(GtkApplication.java:245)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Workaround:

From a clean slate, with the Wurm launcher extracted into ~/Downloads/wurmlauncher/wurm-launcher/ (i.e. what you get when you just "right-click->extract here" on the launcher .tar.gz file, open a Terminal and:

sudo apt install openjfx openjdk-11-jre

# Run the launcher once so it downloads what we need
# Once the launcher has downloaded its files and failed to open its window, press CTRL+C to end the process

GDK_BACKEND=x11 ~/Downloads/wurmlauncher/wurm-launcher/WurmLauncher

# Launch Wurm. Since we are using a new version of Java and JFX we don't have to bother with the Wayland workaround

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="~/Downloads/wurmlauncher/wurm-launcher/jcef-natives" java --module-path=/usr/share/openjfx/lib --add-modules="ALL-MODULE-PATH" -cp ~/Downloads/wurmlauncher/wurm-launcher/client_live.jar com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmLaunchWrapper hash=firsthash

# You can now install Wurm like usual. The embedded web browser of the launcher acts up a bit, but who cares about that one anyway

For some insane reason that I do not have the energy to debug, once Wurm is installed like this, the launcher starts working again via GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./WurmLauncher …

To avoid the terminal in the future, open the Text Editor and paste the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Wurm Online
#Path=/home/test/Downloads/wurmlauncher/wurm-launcher
Exec=sh -c 'env GDK_BACKEND=x11 $HOME/Downloads/wurmlauncher/wurm-launcher/WurmLauncher'
Comment=
Terminal=false
Icon=gnome-panel-launcher
Type=Application

Then save it as wurmonline.desktop in ~/.local/share/applications/ (You need to right click -> "Show Hidden Files" in the file browser to see .local in your home)

Wurm devs, please ship all your dependencies so problems like this don't happen. Also, update Java so you can use ZGC or Shenandoah.

• Like 2

Confirmed on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Had same problem used ur solution Thnx 😃

Hi @Batolemaeus, I had the same error on Linux Mint 21.2 and this fixed it for me, thanks a lot!

Hey.

Sadly this aren't solve my Problem.

Got a new PC, did a fresh Install of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and the latest nvidia-driver-535 package

When i try to Start Wurm (Also fresh install) a single pixel small vertical band appears on the left of my Screen and then nothing happens.

Tryed

sudo apt install openjfx openjdk-11-jre

and it worked, then i started wurm with

GDK_BACKEND=x11 ~/games/wurm/WurmLauncher

but got the same Result as described above.
I Tryed this line then:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="~/games/wurm/jcef-natives" java --module-path=/usr/share/openjfx/lib --add-modules="ALL-MODULE-PATH" -cp ~/games/wurm/client_live.jar com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmLaunchWrapper hash=firsthash

and then i got This Error:

java.library.path: ~/games/wurm/jcef-natives:/usr/java/packages/lib:/usr/lib64:/lib64:/lib:/usr/lib
java.class.path: /home/steve/games/wurm/client_live.jar
sun.java.command:com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmLaunchWrapper hash=firsthash
Graphics Device initialization failed for :  es2, sw
Error initializing QuantumRenderer: no suitable pipeline found
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error initializing QuantumRenderer: no suitable pipeline found
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumRenderer.getInstance(QuantumRenderer.java:280)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.init(QuantumToolkit.java:222)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.Toolkit.getToolkit(Toolkit.java:261)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:267)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:158)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(LauncherImpl.java:658)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:678)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$2(LauncherImpl.java:195)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1583)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error initializing QuantumRenderer: no suitable pipeline found
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumRenderer$PipelineRunnable.init(QuantumRenderer.java:94)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumRenderer$PipelineRunnable.run(QuantumRenderer.java:124)
    ... 1 more
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: No toolkit found
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.Toolkit.getToolkit(Toolkit.java:273)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:267)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:158)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(LauncherImpl.java:658)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:678)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$2(LauncherImpl.java:195)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1583)

What did i wrong?

6 hours ago, Theofeistus said:

When i try to Start Wurm (Also fresh install) a single pixel small vertical band appears on the left of my Screen and then nothing happens.

I have had this issue before. If you are using gnome this will happen. You can fix this by pressing ALT+F8 and using the arrow keys to resize the window. I don't think you're having the issue that this thread is about.

Source

I've answered this before here

Edited by Dadadah

Hey

11 hours ago, Dadadah said:

I have had this issue before. If you are using gnome this will happen. You can fix this by pressing ALT+F8 and using the arrow keys to resize the window. I don't think you're having the issue that this thread is about.

Thats it and solved all. Many Thanks :)👍