Sign in to follow this  
Shrimpiie

Locks on Item Creation

A change was made many years ago where new vehicles when created have a 1ql lock on them by default.

Expand it out to all items that take a lock, it is much safer for players(especially new players) to be required to remove a security feature, than to have them need to know a lock is required to be added to finish securing their item(s).

I can't say how many CA Help questions and support tickets I have dealt with regarding players that had items stolen in some manner, because they were not aware they needed to add a lock to something to finish securing it.

• Like 5

Yes, wonderful idea. 

Although... there should be some mechanism for getting rid of locks on PVE (beyond sacrificing them).   Maybe such creation locks (or any locks under say 10ql?) should be trashable.

12 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Expand it out to all items that take a lock

Please no on bsbs, after spam maing 50 of them I would find it annoying to have to remove every single lock on them just to make bulk container units.

If it was optional with a setting inside profile to default Make Lock / Not Make Lock I would agree with the All Items that take Locks.

Downside, no more raiding fallen deeds.  Everything worth a blip in bsbs, chests, whatever will now be locked ( something else to think about the downside of All items default create with lock )

42 minutes ago, Stormblade said:

Downside, no more raiding fallen deeds.  Everything worth a blip in bsbs, chests, whatever will now be locked ( something else to think about the downside of All items default create with lock )

This is why I'd disagree with the suggestion. Either no, or allow lockpicking of containers off-deed on Freedom that are somehow flagged as disbanded / haven't been opened in a month or two. 

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 3

Oh yeah, forgot about that aspect. Thanks for pointing that issue out Stormblade. I'm gonna switch my vote to -1

• Like 1

-1 wurm has always been about difficulty and making locks is a skill, don’t take away from that.

Let’s also remove the auto 1ql lock on create for everything while we’re at it.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

-1 also. There should be no auto created locks on anything - warn the players about the dangers the same way as for ships, newly finished houses and dropped items off-deed instead.

It is sad and annoying already that there are tons of very slowly decaying carts/bsbs/ships etc left around abandoned on the servers.

Should better reintroduce controlled salvaging based on parameters that define items as abandoned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stormblade said:

Please no on bsbs, after spam maing 50 of them I would find it annoying to have to remove every single lock on them just to make bulk container units.

If it was optional with a setting inside profile to default Make Lock / Not Make Lock I would agree with the All Items that take Locks.

Oh, good counter-points....

Edited by TheTrickster

No I disagree wholeheartedly with sacrificing the security of players' belongings just so people can have a crack at picking at the bones of possibly the same players that are burned by the lack of that simple safety net in the first place.

Within the Freedom market, selling locks is not a part of the market except in the case of favor. A 1ql lock performs identically to a 99ql lock for security purposes and the only change would be quality locking on bulk items which again, I really have not ever seen a strong market for as once you get a few locks you are set.

As for making bsb's, that is really not a lot of effort to simply remove the locks so I fail to see the ground to stand on there. The better solution to that incredibly niche case would be to allow bsb's with a lock on them to be utilized to make bulk container units.

A tough shit you failed to secure your items is something that all of us old timers have preached for years, but at the end of the day it doesn't give the lseson we think it does to new players instead they quit the game and turn into those spots that people love to loot. Disagreeing with a change that is beneficial to about everyone when it comes to the security of their belongings just because it makes it harder to pick at the corpses of players past; less crappy scenarios where people can be burned by not knowing that you have to make a lock to secure things proper is one less scenario that would feed into someone's decision to resub.

• Like 1

Has nothing to do with raiding a fallen deed. It's about the so called benefit of a few players vs the learning curve of secure your sht or loose it.

Can see it now. New player makes 5 bsbs for whatever reason, starts clear cutting land to make a deed.  Someone else comes up, thinks hey, i'm gonna deed here.  Petition ensues and goes something like this.

First Player: Hey I had my bsbs locked and someone stole them.

GM: Oh blah blah get a better description of the problem blah blah blah

GM: The person deeded over your bsbs you can contact them to try and get them back otherwise nothing we can do sorry sucks to be you buh bye.

Player then goes F this sht, they lied to me said no one could steal my bsbs bitching and moaning starts, other players say the same thing, should of deeded it, they say but it was locked whines whines whines whines and quits.

Really, that's how it will go.

ZERO benefit on 'retaining' that player and ZERO benefit on lessening the tickets on stolen items.  Now you just have a whole new headache of dealing with crap like that, whats next, give them an automatic deed to make dam sure they're stuff is secure? Nope, cause in 30 days you'll end up with 'Hey my deed expired and my stuffs gone...'

On 2/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, Shrimpiie said:

because they were not aware they needed to add a lock to something to finish securing it.

THIS is the problem, not handing them prelocked stuff.

Tutorial addition? doubt it, no one really does that and if they do it's just to get throu it and start playing. Pop up warnings like when making boats? doubt it, most will just click close and go one but it would be a better alternative and would reinforce it is not secure unless it's locked.  ( btw it still isn't secure unless it's Secured to the ground )

Beside that would get annoying really freakin fast for every single container we make. But like I mentioned could opt out of warnings pop ups.

Honestly there is no solution for this and premade locked items doesn't seem the way to go, while a nice idea, it is a band aide fix for, no other way to put it, ignorance of the mechanics of the game

The wurm landscape will soon turn out looking like this 

Ek17CQz.jpeg

This area has been fallen for a long while, these items are still there with barely Any damage, if someone is logging on to repair them passer by repairing, who knows. Point being imagine this all over the place, to me would make Wurm look like some kinda slum trash yard game.

UAroxj5.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

-1 wurm has always been about difficulty and making locks is a skill, don’t take away from that.

Let’s also remove the auto 1ql lock on create for everything while we’re at it.

tottally agree

and also Stormblade have right - that locked bsb,fsb and more dosnt looks good 

I see both side of this issue. I really wish the game had a better way of identifying what was and wasn't 'abandoned' but I recognize that's difficult. I honest wish there was a time that vehicles could be looted. Especially considering how slowly they decay. If I really want to keep my stuff (long term) it's not too hard to log on once a month and check on things.

I vote for no change. I think the items that come with a lock are good. I'd like to see more lockable items though, like small and large chests.

I'm in favor of this change, but I can see a couple possible alternatives which might also work.

When a player creates an item which can be locked, alert them (with orange text) that the item does not come with a lock, and can be locked with a certain sort of lock.

Another possibility would be to provide an alternative recipe for such items, requiring a bit of extra iron and creation difficulty, which would come with a simple lock attached. If a player wants to create an unlocked item, they can simply use the original recipe.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Avaxas said:

alert them (with orange text) that the item does not come with a lock, and can be locked with a certain sort of lock.

Oh, it would be grand to know which lock goes on without having to go look it up.  I mean, boat locks, gate locks and door locks are kind of self explanatory but small and large padlocks not so much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Avaxas said:

When a player creates an item which can be locked, alert them (with orange text) that the item does not come with a lock, and can be locked with a certain sort of lock.

I think this is the best approach.

Then what about splitting it down the middle here.

Locks on doors and gates, in addition to their existing-ness on new vehicles? This would avoid inconveniences with containers getting a lock, and still leave room for warnings and mechanics teaching about the value of security of items with locks, but in a gentler way. That would at least in my opinion help to dull the cases that I have seen come up far too often of folks getting things stolen in some terrible ways and other access problems.

• Like 4

On 2/8/2022 at 10:09 PM, Shrimpiie said:

Then what about splitting it down the middle here.

Locks on doors and gates, in addition to their existing-ness on new vehicles? This would avoid inconveniences with containers getting a lock, and still leave room for warnings and mechanics teaching about the value of security of items with locks, but in a gentler way. That would at least in my opinion help to dull the cases that I have seen come up far too often of folks getting things stolen in some terrible ways and other access problems.

I'd rather not try to count how many times I've turned around and had a troll looking at me with hungry eyes. Locks on doors is one of the first things you do once you finish your house (usually), and often on PVE they are less then 50ql. Not that it matters since you can't pick doors on PVE, And trolls haven't figured out how to use lockpicks...

And if locks are going to be put on doors, might as well put them on gates, since they are basically buildingless doors.

• Like 1

I agree, auto locks on doors definitely, heck even after all this time I've fogotten a few times doors don't come with locks when making a building.  Gates, oh gawd yes please, so many dang keys for them I don't need.

I'd say try to make everyone happy. Put a lock on new things. And have items that were locked or secured lose that protection once they pass, say, 50% damage.

• Like 1