Sign in to follow this  
Wiluss

Meteorites usage

Meteorites are basicly usless no point mining them for most of players.

Lets make some cool mechanic so we could gain rare ore at 50% chance when we destroy a metorite.
Also add some slight chance to get smal amount of random moonmetal when mining like gem chance

• Like 5

Agreed it should be much more exciting to find one! Another idea could be that the metals from those are not capped at your mining skill, so if it's ql 80 you can get ql 80 lumps, regardless of your skill level. For lower level players this would be a huge bonus and well worth climbing a mountainside to reach one.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

Agreed it should be much more exciting to find one! Another idea could be that the metals from those are not capped at your mining skill, so if it's ql 80 you can get ql 80 lumps, regardless of your skill level. For lower level players this would be a huge bonus and well worth climbing a mountainside to reach one.

Yes.  I have left meteorites and simply put a chat message out telling where to find them because my mining skill just wouldn't do them justice.  They would have been wasted on me.  

• Like 1

Meteorites are great, low/no difficulty, meaning higher ql results 

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Meteorites are great, low/no difficulty, meaning higher ql results 

That's true, and it's nice that you get lumps without having to smelt ores. It's also a nice bonus to find metals that you might not otherwise have easy access to if you don't have a vein of that type nearby. However, they are still just normal everyday materials and the ql is capped by your mining skill, so it's not that special. A meteorite should be extremely exciting to find, but even when they land in accessible spots, many of them just sit around and decay because they aren't worth the time or effort. 

Stumbling across hidden treasures in the wilderness is such a thrill and meteorites should be absolutely perfect for that. It would make sense for something that fell from space to give you the chance to get moon metals and higher ql metals than you can normally mine. Other special treasures like gems and source crystals would make sense too. The rewards don't need to be overly extravagant but it really should be a lot more special than just a few lumps of normal metals that are ql capped at your mining skill. It should be at least as exciting as creating a rare item.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 4

I do already like meteorites, but at the moment they're just a bit nice... something that you find at random when wandering about, and think, "hmmm, do I want some light, quality metal-of-type-X? How damaged is it? Okay, why not?"

It would be much more fun, and much more of an incentive for players to explore, if one of the suggestions here was implemented.

• higher chance of getting rare metal (not ore)
  • possibility of getting moon metal (because they come from space)
  • allow the finder to get metal that's not capped by Mining skill (since this is already a chunk of metal, not an ore vein)
  • chance of finding source crystals
  • chance of finding other gems

I really like the idea that Ritual Of The Sun becomes an incentive for players to swarm all over the map, watching the skies and chasing meteor trails to hunt them down. That sounds like so much more than we have at present.

• Like 3

I once found myself in a remote area of Melody without some tool I needed.  There were no open mines nearby, and the last thing I felt like doing was spending ages tunneling and prospecting to find a vein.  So I ended up mining an iron meteorite and heating the lumps in a campfire in order to craft the tool.  Experiences like this are part of what makes exploring fun, for me at least.  It becomes more than just wandering around.

I like it when exploration offers a method of achieving a goal that is different from the one you'd use if you were at your deed.  I also like when game mechanics make it possible to more easily explore for a longer period of time without returning to your deed or to a more "civilized" area such as a starter town.  There aren't many mechanics that do this (I'd love to see more added).  Using the "Refresh" option to restore food and water is one example.  Another one I make use of is the somewhat newly added ability to treat a wound with wool instead of cotton.  If I'm out and about and I don't have cotton on me, I'll keep my eye out for sheep, collecting wool as I go, so I won't have to forage for cotton if I get injured.  

I do agree with the suggestion that meteorites could offer additional rewards, up to a point.  But I would not want these rewards to be so OP that everybody and their grandmother would be out farming every meteorite they can find, to the point where there weren't many around anymore.  I'd much prefer to see meteorites become further integrated into the exploration side of the game somehow, instead of being migrated over to the grinding arena along with practically every other mechanic in the game.

• Like 2

Slowing down or removing the decay entirely on meteorites would be especially nice.

• Like 1

+1 I've mined several meteorites and really do enjoy the high quality and instant lump factor but am always disappointed that none of them are ever moon metals. If they are from the heavens then some of them at least should possess moon metals.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Karrde said:

Slowing down or removing the decay entirely on meteorites would be especially nice.

Yes!  Unmined veins don't decay.  Unmined rock doesn't decay.  Neither should meteorites.  

17 hours ago, Katrat said:

+1 I've mined several meteorites and really do enjoy the high quality and instant lump factor but am always disappointed that none of them are ever moon metals. If they are from the heavens then some of them at least should possess moon metals.

Also, Yes!  This after all is how our distant ancestors occasionally acquired "exotic" metals not otherwise available within trading distance.  

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Yes!  Unmined veins don't decay.  Unmind rock doesn't decay.  Neither should meteorites.  

Also, Yes!  This after all is how our distant ancestors occasionally acquired "exotic" metals not otherwise available within trading distance.  

Aye all the stories about star metals and etc.