Sign in to follow this  
LoneWanderer

Animal Lures

I've been playing my latest character for a bit now and I've ran into a slight road bump.

I found a nice place to build, I've built a house and flattened some land for crops. I've tunneled out a mine to iron and created better tools. Now I feel I've sort of hit a block in the game. I  log in and farm all my crops to skill up farming (I have all the important crops from foraging/botanizing,  cotton, wemp, various veggies, etc.). Then I expand my tunnels to get my mining up for higher quality ore for improving tools. And... That's about it. I really don't want a huge property so I just have my hunting/fishing cabin on the shoreline.

I've been fishing (personally I like the old, simple way of fishing) and I would like to do some hunting and this is where I'm stuck. The only thing that is within a reasonable distance from me is spiders and scorpions which can easily kill me. I'm tunneling out my mine in hopes of getting bugs to spawn in there that I can skill up on. So far no luck.

So to the actual idea. It would be nice to be able to craft animal lures, Maybe a pile of meat/fish or something you can pace in the forest that will lure lower level animals into the area (rats, wolves, etc.). Maybe could even make chum for fishing.

I feel I'm reaching an even worse point of my starter pelt wearing out and nothing within a reasonable distance to replace it. I haven't been able to finish making a bed yet either because I can't find animals that I have a chance of getting fur from. Unless there is spider fur that I'm not aware of. So, no sleep bonus for me. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it's also possible that you could arrange to trade with someone for pelts and/or furs.

Along the same lines having ways to avoid animals would be handy too.

Lavender lye soap for removing scent particles, animal urine 😝, and etc.

I like the idea of a system to lure and repel animals or mobs in general. Trappers and hunters often had this art down to a science. And it was generally based on scent. Could be as simple as a meat lure for carnivores and mixed grass for herbivores or something much more complex. Each mob could have a unique scent lure and repellent specific to them. Say a particular flower like Oleander or sprout like Ivy to lure a unicorn or a unicorn gland to lure a troll. This could make good use of many items like Ivy sprouts that really don't have much use at all.

Rat lairs are garbage piles, so maybe trash heaps built off deed should also function as rat lairs.  After all, not only they notionally the same thing, "trash heap" is just "garbage pile" pushed through a thesaurus.

Maybe "lesser" lairs, with a lower spawn rate.

I am sure I read somewhere that leaving meat or corpses on the ground will attract hunter mobs (and pigs).

Two questions:  Are you on NFI or SFI?  What is your ingame name?  A lot of people of have bunches of pelts, and I know in SFI at least that a call out for help with a pelt will likely get you you buried in them.