Sign in to follow this  
bigtree

Journal entry for helping new players

I think helping new players is a good way to increase the chances that they will continue playing the game. 

Maybe add journal entries that encourage seasoned plays to help new players. 

- Give a 80ql tool to a new player

- Help build a bridge at someone else's deed

- Treat someone else's worsening wound

- Help build a house at someone else's deed

- Surface mine at someone else's deed

- Place cat's eyes attaching someone else's deed to highway

- Enchant a mailbox at someone else's deed

- Spend 3+ silver at a merchant on someone else's deed

- Improve someone else's cart or wagon to 50ql

- Give someone a ride of more than 5km

- Invite player to deed

- Invite deed to alliance

I know alts could be use to get these without actually helping new players. That doesn't mean that everyone will use alts to do so.

Edited by bigtree
  • Like 5

These are fun suggestions! Might make cooperative playing more popular! Love it!

• Like 1

I like the idea. And using alts works for the "Win ten spars" as well, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

+1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:51 AM, bigtree said:

Surface mine at someone else's deed

-1 Sorry most folks never have surfaced mine in their entire time playing Wurm. Now if it was say 'Mine 5k Shards or Ores' on someones deed then I could agree with this.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:51 AM, bigtree said:

Spend 3+ silver at a merchant on someone else's deed

No thanks, that would require the person to purchase a merchant, place something on it that you Might want to buy.  I'd rather Spend 3 silver on some ones upkeep than purchase something off a merchant.

Always been for some kind of apprentice/squire system, regardless of potential "abuse" by alts. It can range from skillgain bonus being within the vicinity to an actual specified student role, akin to having a cared-for mount.

Not all alts are bad persay, especially if they are premium and contribute towards the game. Priests are easily the most common type.

The removal of the RMT has changed the market landscape drastically, hence any concern over people cranking out new alts for profit is far, far less.

For those concerned about abuse, such a system could be limited in various ways: A limit on active students based on mind stats, Only the student gains a bonus, bonus gradually slows as the disparity in skills lessens, both student and teacher need to be prem (granted this one might dissuade newbies), and etc.

People participating as teachers can be rewarded in various ways that are not strictly financial. Players will go after shiny new titles that have zero gameplay impact. However nothing wrong with gameplay bonuses as an incentive imho, journal goals are a good example.

Edited by Karrde

I like this idea overall on a Philanthropic level. It would encourage players to help each other and that is always a plus for me. I can't help but wonder though if it would also encourage pestering of other players to have access to their deeds to meet the requirements.