Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 03-Feb-2022

17 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Roasted isn't raw 

was still able to store them in FSB, roasted coffee still goes in to FSBs.

So if what people are saying is true, and 100 power caffeine only gives 1.5x skill gain while still draining 2x sleep bonus, then I think the nerf went way too far. I suppose, however, if the devs wanted a system that would only benefit those who can play once a week for a few hours, then it has succeeded. Those players will get a bit more bang for their time spent. For everyone else, there is no reason to use caffeine anymore.

Seems yet another window of opportunity has closed.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

So if what people are saying is true, and 100 power caffeine only gives 1.5x skill gain while still draining 2x sleep bonus, then I think the nerf went way too far. I suppose, however, if the devs wanted a system that would only benefit those who can play once a week for a few hours, then it has succeeded. Those players will get a bit more bang for their time spent. For everyone else, there is no reason to use caffeine anymore.

Tried, tested and confirmed by the dev team!! 100% agree

Edited by Pnutp

24 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Roasted isn't raw 

True, but they are IRL stored as dry goods unlike other cooked food items that can't be stored in FSBs. They were previously able to be put in FSBs along with several other cooked items that are IRL dry stored products. This change wasn't noted in the patch notes so I don't think it was intentional. It is inconsistent with the other related items able to be put in FSBs. I can still put cocoa paste in the FSB which is roasted cocoa beans pressed with a fruit press. Roasted and ground coffee beans (milled roasted coffee beans), and cooked tea leaves (white, yellow made with various forms of cookers) can all still be put in an FSB. Doesn't make any sense why they would single out just roasted cocoa beans. Probably just a mistake due to the name change on cocoa beans to roasted cocoa beans.

another potential issue - combining green coffee beans consumes all combined when planting in pottery planters.

13 hours ago, DevBlog said:

Add optional ingredients to new beverages

Using the zero or one category is a mistake. It limits our creative freedom. It limits affinity possibilities. The proper choice is to put them all in the Any category.  This category will maximize our creative freedom and affinity choices.

Wurm, how dare you tell me I can't put sugar, chocolate, and cocoa powder all at the same time in my coffee!  

Now that caffeine buff works as it's supposed too on crossing server borders can we get the same fix applied to all kinds of food buffs so they actually work correctly?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

They're not going to benefit from it either because people have to make the coffee for them to use and they dont wanna spend money on it so there is no market for it so they might get half decent coffee eventually but this is the deathknell for a potentially great feature.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blacklotus said:

They're not going to benefit from it either because people have to make the coffee for them to use and they dont wanna spend money on it so there is no market for it so they might get half decent coffee eventually but this is the deathknell for a potentially great feature.

Yessssss exactly! So much for making a viable coffee market. 🙄 So much goes into making caffeinated beverages that the fair market price for the time put in is going to be very limiting to the target audience that this patch intends to direct it towards. Guess my last three months of grinding solely beverage skill was a waste of time. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by Odinstardew
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

That's exactly who this system is for. 

The window of opportunity was how powerful it was for grind-focused players

• Like 1

I would post something about how this change was extremely heavy handed, but having played for many years, know it will fall on deaf ears as it does 95% of the time.

• Like 5

The changes to bookshelves and archaeology journals are nice.

The rest...  The issue is it is focused on people who grind, who also log on for very little time.  On their own, those are likely large demographics, but the number of people who fall into both categories is probably quite low.

It's a nice mechanic, but nerfing it in this way seems counter-productive.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Archaed said:

Roasted isn't raw 

I think you missed the point. Beans, cherries, pods, roasted or green, are kind of a commodity for bulk storage, not a processed product like a meal or a bread. I already found the exclusion of diced and minced somewhat over the top and a stupid nerf, but to make roasted beans like a meal or a pizza would be outright braindead. roasted and dried beans, pods etc. are commodities or staples even in RL.

Consequence, if that is not just a bug, would be that you cannot trade beans anymore over wagoners.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Tor said:

Does the restlessness rise while you doing this skills on caffaine + sleep bonus, even tho they aren't benefiting from it? If so, can it be disabled that as well?

Does it rises while doing nothing?

Does it rises on queued actions even if they don't perform?

Yes, it seems that as long as sleep bonus is turned on while you have the caffeine buff you get restlessness.

Edited by Nordlys

Pog!

• Bugfix: Pouring liquids is now allowed even when building or village permissions disallow dropping items.

We can litter liters of salty water everywhere! :) 

20 hours ago, Nocturnes said:

No I think we missunderstood what the devs stated about coffe.
Being loosely formulated I think they meant it now does twice as much a SB used to do and not sleep bonus gains times 2. See the diffrence?

100% original skill gain, you put on sleep bonus and get 100% extra = 200% skill gain
100% original skill gain, you use coffe and get 100% x2 so a total of  = 300% skillgain

The old coffe did 200% x2 Sleep bonus gain instead and gave 400% Skill gain in total.

Im really bad at explaining this but hope this makes more sense? so I dont think SB is nerfed just coffe.

• "Change: Caffeine skillgain changed to provide 2x the benefit of sleep bonus at 100% caffeine"

Its wrong. it should be "Change: Caffeine skillgain changed to provide 1.5x the benefit of sleep bonus at 100% caffeine" or "Change: Caffeine skillgain changed to provide 3x the benefit of normal bonus at 100% caffeine"

25 minutes ago, ftoz said:

Its wrong. it should be "Change: Caffeine skillgain changed to provide 1.5x the benefit of sleep bonus at 100% caffeine" or "Change: Caffeine skillgain changed to provide 3x the benefit of normal bonus at 100% caffeine"

Sleep bonus adds 100%, now it adds 200% with caffeine

It used to multiply the bonus, now it adds. 

On 2/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, Pnutp said:

Seems a little extreme of a nerf, not sure why anyone would want to use x2 sleep bonus for x1.5 effective sleep bonus skill gain which is exactly what it is.... makes no sense at all :( RIP Caffeine.

Casual players like me who don't play enough to burn all our SB so it doesn't overflow.

I play on average between one and two hours per day and between the SB gained from sleeping (close to one hour per day), from missions and from the occasional rites, it's happening quite frequently to not be able to burn in a day enough to not have waste/overflow from next day gains.

And yeah a lower efficiency is waaaaay better than wasting it completely. And, actually, from what Kenan said, I think we are exactly the target group for this mechanic, not people abusing powders.

23 hours ago, Pnutp said:

The value of time is irrelevant as to whether you are getting more or less skill... Basically the only way there is any benefit from using coffee is like the comment above 'surplus sleep bonus'.... therefore only being usable by the player that plays less than 5hrs per week. Now I am all for helping the casual. But for all this work and to ONLY benefit the player that plays less than 5hrs a week seems like a SUPER nerf.

Not really. First of all it's not 5 hrs a week, but 7 hrs a week (so one hour per day on average) presuming you don't only log once per week.

Second you didn't accounted from extra SB gained from missions or rites, which only add to that. And that without getting me started about all the extra ways of getting SB on the PVP servers.

Finally, you assumed that all your time is spent grinding / with SB on, while, in reality a fair share of time is spent not grinding / watching an action bar and during those times when you're not grinding I assume SB is off, so is not taking time from those 7+ hours per week.

So this is beneficial to any player who doesn't spend more than seven hours per week grinding (and potentially even to those who spend a bit more than that because of the extra SB from mission/rites), and yeah, I do tend to believe that's the vast majority of the players.

Before the changes, caffeine was, basically, a win more mechanic (people who afforded to abuse powders got even more bang from their bucks), no it acts as a catchup mechanic so the casuals can get more from their limited play time and stand a chance to somehow catchup with the more hardcore player instead of wasting their SB due to overflow.

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 4

add new mechanic , people abuse it , refine new mechanic to stop the abuse , people hate , meh , ya'll cant win , keep up the good work making this great game devs

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Reflekted said:

add new mechanic , people abuse it , refine new mechanic to stop the abuse , people hate , meh , ya'll cant win , keep up the good work making this great game devs

It shouldn't have taken 4 months to fix it, when your customers tell you a system isn't working you get on that and fix it before you let it get abused to the point it was.

• Like 2

Can we get now the global casts beside +5 hours sleep bonus also to to give -5 hours restlessness?

12 minutes ago, Archaed said:

errbody a dev in 'ere

Yeah, everyone should just stay quiet and cheer.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:28 PM, Batolemaeus said:

Sleep bonus was already targeted at people who spend a lot of time not playing, i.e. not playing every waking hour. That was the original intent back in the day.

It was only later that more ways of gaining sleep bonus were added and the original intent was lost. Caffeine is basically doing the same all over again.

Inb4 restlessness-removal-powder gets introduced…

1 hour ago, Tor said:

Can we get now the global casts beside +5 hours sleep bonus also to to give -5 hours restlessness?

Lmao.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:31 PM, McGarnicle said:

That is exactly what they were aiming for, wasn't it? They did say from the very beginning that it wasn't meant for everyone. It seems like some people are forgetting or not really grasping (or just not happy about) that aspect of it. It was seen as "drink that gives extra skill gain", but that was never the point and it was never intended to be something everyone is using every time they play.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this