Sign in to follow this  
BipolarBear

Winter Season Activities

Yet another winter season in Wurm, yet another wave of moaning and groaning on freedom channels and people asking when it will be over.  People spent 15 minutes collecting snow balls and are now impatiently tapping foot waiting for end of season so they can once again see Wurm in its full splendor.  How about we make the winter less of a drag for people and introduce some fun stuff to do?  I have a few suggestions which would involve very little to no change to already existing mechanics.

• ICE SURFACES

Come winter, 1-3 water tiles adjacent to shore become non-colidable and semi-transparent.  You can walk on those and ships can't pass them.  You can break ice with pickaxe to release moored ships or use special boat/ship attachment as ice breaker.  Ice can then be collected for later use for such things as alternative to snowballs in larders and/or ice sculptures.  Obvious obstacle is how to migrate from water tile (swimming) to ice tile near the shore and I am thinking right click ice tile and "climb", possibly with accompanying animation.

• ICE SHARDS (MATERIAL)

Collecting broken ice shards places them in inventory (has to be stored quickly like snow balls), such ice can be used in larders and to make sculptures (existing sculptures with transparent texture).  I can see various other applications in cooking too.

• ICE SCULPTURES

Once the ice is collected sculptures can be made and if stored in caverns they take little to no damage.  They can be transported on ships with a stack of ice material which then takes damage on behalf of the imped sculpture with a time frame of few hours to reach the destination before the sculpture itself starts taking damage ticks.  Making semi-transparent texture skins for these should be easy enough.

I have a few more ideas, but let's see how this pitch goes first.

• Like 5

I like these ideas to add more useful content to the game and bring about some other decoration ideas to allow the creative minds flow.  

How about ramping up difficulty of mobs and killing off other types of mobs in winter? 

Ex: Wolves become ice wolves , bears become polar bears, certain mobs get increased ticks of dying off or aging fast (only off deed mobs)such as spiders (technically they should hibernate during winter), trolls become more dangerous because they actively seek meat to maintain their caloric intake, etc. 

• Like 1

+1 Possibly there could be a way to change food needs seasonally.  For example, drinking a hot cuppa hot cocoa could add a skillgain buff in the winter to represent someone feeling more comfortable, temperature-wise