Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

WSA: Maintenance Reschedule

WSA.png

Hello Wurmians! This week’s restart and the caffeine update will be pushed from Tuesday the 1st, to Thursday the 3rd. This will allow the team time to tie up a few loose ends and make sure everything is fully ready for the update!

• Like 4

So what, we've got a feedback thread full of different thoughts and none of them are being addressed?

• Like 5

That is correct, it takes too much time out of the dev's schedules to entertain all those tiresome suggestions.  I'd much rather they work on VR anyway.

• Cat 1

9 hours ago, Madnath said:

So what, we've got a feedback thread full of different thoughts and none of them are being addressed?

ROFLMAO; I'm sorry, but have you never been part of any 'public consultation' IRL? That's so cute.

1 hour ago, Enuf said:

Thiis is why @Vorticella

Though they may have made some changes I guess?

I would think that's why the update was delayed...

12 hours ago, Madnath said:

Which one is the feedback thread? Oh, you mean the "we got a release prepared and would like to give the community a chance to test it before it's pushed"-thread? I'd say that is a bit unfair.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grotesque said:

VR

We can only hope they saw how horrible an idea it was and canned it

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Synjor said:

We can only hope they saw how horrible an idea it was and canned it

Doubt it. It was clearly pushed by the parent company most likely as a marketing trick. Wurm is probably the least compatible game with VR I know of. Hope VR doesn't actually happen. Feels like a lot of wasted resources which could used to hire devs to fix the 1000 bugs we still got in game or upgrade many shallow skills and mechanics we currently have. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Doubt it. It was clearly pushed by the parent company most likely as a marketing trick. Wurm is probably the least compatible game with VR I know of. Hope VR doesn't actually happen. Feels like a lot of wasted resources which could used to hire devs to fix the 1000 bugs we still got in game or upgrade many shallow skills and mechanics we currently have. 

Tweaks and fixes to get VR to work will probably result in more graphical bugs for the nonVR users, given this games history.  I love Wurm but yeesh it hasn’t been the smoothest as far as these things go.

• Like 1

Wurm already is VR.  Just note how we communicate in game - we speak of travelling highways, sailing boats, planting and harvesting, picking things up, riding animals.  We know that none of this is physically real, right?  But it has sufficient virtues of reality for us to suspend disbelief and treat it as provisionally real.

It just isn't the kind of 3d immersive graphical UI that most associate with virtual reality these days.

There are thousands of suggestions on how to make Wurms virtues more realistic, without any need to go down the path of trying to shoe-horn it into a full 3D graphical VR environment.

Even a decently told story is VR.

• Cat 1

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Yeah you're talking about imagination and immersion here, which is a byproduct of a well told story coupled with the willingness of the reader to actively be a part of it. 

VR on the other hand, is ultimately on the side of the designer. A poor VR experience will make you wretch, literally, while a good one might sell your eyes the credibility of the world around you. 

I hope VR gets scrapped and the resources are diverted to something more urgent, like maybe considering porting Wurm to a different engine, with more flexibility code wise and real physics, not the simulated 2d environment with 3d elements.  I say 2d , because we still have horses popping out of mines due to how the code screws up the infinite height issue, or collision problems. 

• Like 2

Any VR work necessarily requires a major rework of the client because there is no way you can get consistent frame times in Java 8. Java 17 would likely be a major upgrade already (also for normal players).

Note that switching engines is a pipe dream. You might as well build an entirely new game.

why does every update /change/roadmap/maintenance post go to VR , should it not be a different thread? seeing as this is about caffeine changes....

hello, why is the servers and website down now?

EDIT: nvm, provider doing some network maintenance

Edited by Kian

17 hours ago, Reflekted said:

why does every update /change/roadmap/maintenance post go to VR , should it not be a different thread? seeing as this is about caffeine changes....

Probably because it left an awful taste in a lot of people's mouths and they haven't forgotten.  It also didn't help that the timing hit right when the AH update was a buggy mess and it took 3 months after it went live to get some fixes in. Wurm is a game with a tremendous amount of potential that could be reached if more people were hired to fix bugs, develop mechanics, add content and invest some money into marketing. 

When people heard about the VR thing a lot of folks could only think of "Oh...well I guess those dozens of bugs unfixed over the years, all those great suggestions on forums not implemented are gonna have to be put on the waiting list because VR is clearly what will make this game great."   Wurmians have a long memory it seems. 

so i can say this hasnt seen much of that caffine area, yea ill tested it but i am a gamer that cant play 24/7 so ill always have to restart that caffine area... think this thing will do me better then worse for the ppl that do HardCore grinding and as ill notice in the bug list + fixes ill just very good work team.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:14 AM, TheTrickster said:

Wurm already is VR.  Just note how we communicate in game - we speak of travelling highways, sailing boats, planting and harvesting, picking things up, riding animals.  We know that none of this is physically real, right?  But it has sufficient virtues of reality for us to suspend disbelief and treat it as provisionally real.

It just isn't the kind of 3d immersive graphical UI that most associate with virtual reality these days.

There are thousands of suggestions on how to make Wurms virtues more realistic, without any need to go down the path of trying to shoe-horn it into a full 3D graphical VR environment.

That ill heard about i am about to build a new computer any specific parts ill need there just that, ill now VR isnt cheap but then again we only live one time so. if some one can give me a comp setup ill can look on for it ill be very happy

5 minutes ago, MrCoolMan said:

That ill heard about i am about to build a new computer any specific parts ill need there just that, ill now VR isnt cheap but then again we only live one time so. if some one can give me a comp setup ill can look on for it ill be very happy

You may consider a good gaming laptop.  ASUS ROG series served me very well.  Recently got a MSI GE75 and it has been a beast.Core i7 and Nvidia GTX...  Not sure I will be upgrading my PC anytime soon.

Sign in to follow this