Sign in to follow this  
Batolemaeus

A short list of bugs and problems and workarounds

Based on unpopular demand:

Client running on Wayland crashes with Gdk: gdk_x11_display_set_window_scale: assertion 'GD
K_IS_X11_DISPLAY (display)' failed

Java bug. Override detection by launching with GDK_BACKEND=x11, i.e.

GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./WurmLauncher

Client crashes with NullPointerException and logs 'WARNING: Unable to compile pixel shader (shader.hbao_blur.fragment): class.YtcHXWDrZs: 0:57(13): error: no function with name 'texture2D''

texture2D is thoroughly deprecated and removed in newer (less than a decade old) OpenGL core contexts. Disable Ambient Occlusion in the settings (Post-Process tab) or launch Wurm with MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2
 for that 2011 era OpenGL Compatibility Context feel. (Intel/AMD open-source drivers. I do not know how Nvidia handles this)

Client crashes on Mesa 22.2.0 (or higher) with "Unable to link program.terrain_light.multipass"

Wurm uses an uninitialised variable in this shader program, which newer versions of Mesa will not allow. Workaround:

glsl_zero_init=true ./WurmLauncher

The settings window is 1px wide 

This is a JavaFX / Wurm bug that seems to mainly affect KDE Plasma. You can either close the window and reopen it a number of times (it'll open in its proper size eventually), or go into Plasma Settings -> Window Management -> Window Rules, and create a rule:

8Xsv9s7.png

This crowbars the window open despite Wurm setting it to non-resizeable 1px wide for no discernible reason.

I am a Steam user and don't know how to use these workarounds

Right click on Wurm in Steam, go to Properties… , and add this to the Launch Options in General tab:

4WTgeuk.png

I am not a Steam user and I don't know how to set these workarounds without the terminal / I would like a Desktop Launcher

This is sadly entirely dependent on your desktop environment. Some provide an easy menu editor (i.e. KDE Plasma by right clicking the start button -> Edit Applications…), some do not.

Supposing you've uncompressed the Wurm launcher into ~/Downloads/wurm-launcher/, you can drop the following text file into the hidden directory ~/.local/share/applications/. Name it com.wurmonline.desktop :

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Wurm Online
Exec=glsl_zero_init=true GDK_BACKEND=x11 MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2 ~/Downloads/wurm-launcher/WurmLauncher

# If the Wurm Launcher shipped with an Icon, we would reference it here
#Icon=com.wurmonline.png

It should get picked up immediately.

Edited by Batolemaeus
glsl_zero_init=true
  • Like 2

Having tested Wurm with OpenJDK 17 and OpenJFX 17:

The GDK_BACKEND workaround is no longer needed, as wayland support gets picked up automatically

The Settings window appears to be sized correctly (unless some of my earlier experimentation is interfering)

So…  updated Java in the launcher when?