Sign in to follow this  
Elsa

We need guestbooks!

It would be awesome to have guestbooks to write in when you visiting someones deed!

• Like 11

Can already do this with regular books. The Deli Renaissance Festival impalong event last year did this and it worked quite well.

30 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Can already do this with regular books. The Deli Renaissance Festival impalong event last year did this and it worked quite well.

We did, but it was a bit messy with permissions. A special type of book that can be accessible for all to read and write in regardless of deed/building perms would have been very nice!

I have an idea for this:

It could be crafted like a normal book, but with a string of cloth and a reed pen added to the crafting materials. It could be secured to a table so only the person who placed it (or others with deed/building perms) can pick it up, or maybe it would be crafted with a small tripod table to produce a standalone item that can be secured to the ground. Even cooler would be a pedestal but that would mean creating a completely new item.

The book would need to be filled with blank pages like a normal book, but it would also have a compartment to fill with ink or dye (the attached pen). As long as the book is supplied with ink/dye and paper the guests can just open it and activate their hand to sign a blank page without having to hold anything in their inventory.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 11

Granted while this is possible with a current blank book, such relies heavily on trusting other players.

Unfortunately such unfettered universal trust is typically betrayed.

Personally the idea of a dedicated guest book seems solid.

Edited by Karrde

On 1/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, Vorticella said:

We did, but it was a bit messy with permissions. A special type of book that can be accessible for all to read and write in regardless of deed/building perms would have been very nice!

I have an idea for this:

It could be crafted like a normal book, but with a string of cloth and a reed pen added to the crafting materials. It could be secured to a table so only the person who placed it (or others with deed/building perms) can pick it up, or maybe it would be crafted with a small tripod table to produce a standalone item that can be secured to the ground. Even cooler would be a pedestal but that would mean creating a completely new item.

The book would need to be filled with blank pages like a normal book, but it would also have a compartment to fill with ink or dye (the attached pen). As long as the book is supplied with ink/dye and paper the guests can just open it and activate their hand to sign a blank page without having to hold anything in their inventory.

+1 to the Op and love this idea.

I've been thinking about this idea. In the hours I'm on we don't see a lot of other players on a frequent basis. I do know there are other players in the area that play at different times but we never see them. That feeling of isolation can be very off putting for some players and they often leave. It would be nice to see who else is on and stops by to visit our deed while we are logged off and hopefully see that Wurm is not as empty at it seems. The exploration crowd could also make a game of signing as many guest books as possible. It could help track how much players actually do explore and maybe see who our most frequent visitors are. Maybe even add a deed bonus for so many visitor signatures reached or a deed rating of some kind? I see a lot of possibilities here.

• Like 2