Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Discussion about auction with no pm-bidding

Reputation is a key success factor for trading in Wurm. If a player wants to cheat, circumvent, alter, mislead - or call whatever you want a "common practice" trade event like an auction it is really no hassle even with your suggestion.

As others stated key is to do business with players who you see reputable and always be careful with any super shiny trade opportunity - and not only in Wurm of course.

Consider an auction a competitive game where you may win only - with no sign-up fee only your few seconds while you put your bid in are wasted anyway.

Shady business will destroy a sellers reputation.

19 hours ago, Morbidae said:

I am actually wondering if it has to do with this auction and his comment underneath:

Cuz that post of him was totally unnecessary as were those from Ssmokes and Reverent. And I felt those were pretty nasty and hurt the auction. One could have just pointed stuff out and explain instead of pointing fingers and making someone else look and feel bad.

Just to clarify.

I would have bid if not for an unsubstantiated edit. This was edification and not repudiation. 

Its the only time Ive pointed something out and it is because I stifled what would have been my own bid.

Ultimately Caveat Emptor.

3 hours ago, Reverent said:

Just to clarify.

I would have bid if not for an unsubstantiated edit. This was edification and not repudiation. 

Its the only time Ive pointed something out and it is because I stifled what would have been my own bid.

Ultimately Caveat Emptor.

I think it would have been more useful to ask why that edit was made and then, based on the answer come to an assumption. You reaction kinda tells, that everyone is a veteran player and thus should nkow what has happened and people have discussed about past 10 years since game has launched. Wurm Online started over again in 2020 with completely new servers provided via Steam to encourage more people to try the game, so new players who don't know anything about what had happened and been discussed in the past do as they think it's correct. For a fact there are 2 short posts on how to start an auction and use the auction timer. And in these posts reserve is mentioned as an option. So how should someone who does auction for the first time and is new to the game know, it's not ok for a lot of people. I, myself, was explicitly told, that using a reserve on an auction is a good way of getting a PC, after I tried to get PC on an item for quiet a while. So now what? I am told to do so and you now tell it's not ok for most people.

Yes I understand that editing in an auction ain't the best idea. But for that, and again a new player has to notice this first, there is the option to mention why someone made an edit. And as clearly was visible edit was made before anyone did bid. So I don't see a problem with that and don't see a problem with the combination of those 2.

So maybe for the future: Instead of posting a short sentence that obviously can get understood the wrong way, maybe one should ask whats the intention behind and maybe advise the auctioneer to end this auction and set up new one, to have a clean cut. That would have been a nice and educational way to handle it in my opinion. The way it was handled felt like kind of an attack to the person as well as the assumption everyone knows about everything.

I think that this suggestion stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of auctions and how they work.

It doesn't matter whether a bid was transmitted via PM, from an anonymous bidder.

It doesn't matter whether a bid was entered on the forums by the actual bidder, the auctioneer, or a third party.

The only thing that matters is whether you, as a potential buyer, want to bid more than the current bid.

If you do, go ahead. If not, don't. It doesn't matter why not. You might think that the current bid was made in bad faith to drive up the price. You might not believe the auctioneer's declaration that a bid was made. You might think that the item isn't worth more than the current bid. If there's any reason why you don't want to bid... don't. That's really all there is to it.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3

The only thing that matters is whether you, as a potential buyer, want to bid more than the current bid.

What a buyer can do during an auction is only just bidding and think the current bid is worth it or not inside their mind. Is it the rule that people need to agree first? I think this is what u said how auction work

The question is, can people say the reasons why they are out during or after the auction.

What i saw is, the veteran or senior of wurm were pointing out and explaining why they were not bidding during the auction or after the auction.

Newbie like me just learn from the behaviour from the veteran or senior, try to understand the cores of what they are care.

And we are now saying the reasons why people are out in a pm-bidding auction after the auction. The title is discussion about auction with no pm-bidding. How no pm-bidding make auction better.

Grambo posted July 11, 2021.

Starting bid: 17 silver

Increment (minimum): 1 silver

Reserve: Yes, 48 silver.

Buyout: 59 silver

Sniper Protection: 1 hour

Private Bids: Not accepted

Sheffie posted July 12, 2021.

20s

never mind, I see the reserve price.

Edited July 12, 2021 by Sheffie

feldoh still were still bidding after posted July 16, 2021. So the auction is on going in July 12, 2021.

So, u are one of the veteran or senior of wurm who were pointing out and explaining u saw the reserve price during the auction. Is it how auction work?

Edited by Coach

As someone that used to run a ton of auctions in the past, let me be clear that the person that sets up the auction is the absolute authority on everything having to do with the auction.  They can have a clear winner and in the end, just flat out refuse to deliver the goods for the winning bid.  This is their choice.  Nobody gets to make a committee and decide how anyone should run their auctions.

If someone is new to auctioning, offering private messages to the auctioneer with helpful tips on successful ways to run them is almost always welcome.  Publicly posting in the auction thread can completely derail the auction and hurt their chances of a successful auction.

In the end, it is what they decide.  If they operate in a shady manor, then they lose the trust of the community.  There were certain people I would never bid on and others I always trusted.

The current general auction format works rather well and I don't think this thread is doing anything to better it.  Suggestions are always a great thing for Wurm, but I don't think anything here will improve what we already have.

• Like 5

On 1/25/2022 at 10:29 AM, Wurmhole said:

If someone is new to auctioning, offering private messages to the auctioneer with helpful tips on successful ways to run them is almost always welcome.  Publicly posting in the auction thread can completely derail the auction and hurt their chances of a successful auction.

Thanks for pointing this out. I already thought I was alone feeling that way. :)

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 2:25 AM, Coach said:

Sheffie posted July 12, 2021.

20s

never mind, I see the reserve price.

Edited July 12, 2021 by Sheffie

So, u are one of the veteran or senior of wurm who were pointing out and explaining u saw the reserve price during the auction. Is it how auction work?

This discussion seems to be wandering off topic. What you're commenting on here is something completely different. I believed that there was no chance of my bid being accepted, and also that there was a remarkably small chance of the auction reaching its reserve price, which I had not noticed before I bid. I made my bid in good faith, I struck it out in good faith, and I posted an explanation in good faith.

This is nothing to do with bids being received in private, or sellers claiming falsely that bids have been made. An issue, as has been pointed out, that affects real world auctions just as much as Wurm ones, and that has not got a proposed fix at this time.

The nearest thing I can see here to a productive discussion, is a proposed etiquette rule that people not post anything other than a bid in an auction thread, to replace the current guideline:

Respectful comments are allowed in auction postings, as well as any marketplace listings; this may include comments on pricing etc.  You may also PM the person directly.

Edited by Sheffie