Sign in to follow this  
WittleBunnBun

Do you ride a unicorn?

Hey, 

I want to breed unicorns as mounts but I have been hearing a lot of talk that they might not be desirable due to certain game mechanics. 

I am trying to gather feedback from others about the topic and how they feel generally about the usefullness of unicorns. 

Do you ride a unicorn? If you do why, if you dont, also why. I am curious. 

Okay thanks! 

• Like 2

I can say that as a plus, despite many downsides - their speed traits are always active.

I would ride a unicorn to transfer my alt to a place because two toons can ride a unicorn but i haven't done it because i need to tame a unicorn to ride and i don't have a decent taming skill to tame it.

So, i didn't but i would. Now i use large cart with normal horses to transfer my alt. And i have no intention to level up my taming skill for now because i am busy with other stuff.

• Like 1

I thought about this at one time also.

It's rare that you see anyone riding unis and there are reasons for that, so breeding for sales is probably not going to be incredibly successful unfortunately. In short, unis just take more effort and time to maintain as a mount for the benefit of just a little more speed than a good horse.

having to tame them to ride and other mobs attack it all the time makes the use of them impractical. cant even ride them untamed as FO priest. So even HH are better

• Like 2

Requiring gold or silver shoes is a significant hamper, as well as needing to be tamed leaving them vulnerable to attacks. 

Hell horses are faster take regular shoes, and require taming, leaving them better all round than unicorns 

• Like 1

Only rode an uni once for the goal. I like the beasts, and don't harm them, but consider them not too useful.

As long as animals keep aggroing them, nope. Same reason no one really uses a HH on PvE. 

• Like 1

I started breeding unicorns a long time ago as another animal to breed and because, heck, who doesn't want to look amazing riding a unicorn around?  You see hell horses from time to time, but never a unicorn.

Pros

• A clear use case to improve animal taming alongside animal husbandry
  • Great opportunity to also improve mining/blacksmithing to make some fancy silver shoes
  • Won't bite your face off like an untamed hell horse - and correspondingly you never have to worry about accidentally killing your unicorn because it tried to bite your face off
  • Speed traits are always on, so that unicorn flies

Cons

• Must be tamed to ride, which means mounted combat is off the table (unless you're, like, into getting your mount killed from under you and having to walk home - some people might be into that?)
  • Since we can only tame/charm one animal at a time, you need two players to have enough to hitch to a cart to make it useful
  • Slow as mud with two riders - about as fast as a donkey with no traits if I remember correctly
  • Worst of all, you need to tame them to breed them (unlike hell horses)

So many times, I'd head down to the paddocks to breed the bison, the horses, the sheep, the cows, and the hell horses and just couldn't be bothered to deal with the unicorns.  Even with a reasonable 68 AT, I'd miss a taming roll as often as not, wind up with an angry unicorn, have to back away and untarget, rinse and repeat.  It was just enough of a burden that I wouldn't bother until they started to die of old age which would force me to do another round of breeding.

Plus with the recent AH changes, the 'impossibly fast' trait on horses makes that horse even faster than a 4s unicorn.  It's not clear that Unicorns can also receive the 'Extremely Tame' trait that a hell horse can, but a hell horse with 'Extremely Tame' removes the issue with mobs targeting the mount.

After two years of breeding unicorns, I finally threw in the towel and just recently liquidated released the last of my unicorns into the wild - keeping my favorite 4s as a keepsake.

But you do you!  There are a few unicorn breeders out there and I'll never tell anyone not to chase their dreams.  :)

Edited by Sidereal
  • Like 7

Even with a Fo priest as a main, I don't mess with unicorns. The inability to even LEAD them without taming/charming makes them far more of a nuisance than any other horse.

• Like 1

I keep a few breeding pairs and occasionally ride them around on deed where it's safe, but it's just not practical to actually use them as mounts, sadly. It's too risky with aggro.

I do like that they are more challenging to work with than horses though, because it's a goal to work toward and feels like an accomplishment to get there. It also makes sense from a RP/immersion perspective that unicorns are a specialty mount that take more skill to use and are reserved for those who are more focused on animal handling. The only thing stopping me from using them is the aggro issue, because once you do get to the point where you can reliably tame and ride one it just isn't worth the risk to actually take it anywhere.

If only we could keep them safer from aggro somehow, maybe it could be a perk that comes with higher taming skill, or maybe it could be a special unicorn-only trait that could start to appear in them at higher AH skill, or maybe activated by a piece of equipment, or something like that.

• Like 2

Perhaps some sort of bonus to having a tamed unicorn near or as a mount for a Fo priest?

1 minute ago, Karrde said:

Perhaps some sort of bonus to having a tamed unicorn near or as a mount for a Fo priest?

Fo priests are ignored by some aggro which extends to their pet as long as their favor is above a certain level, but it doesn't apply to all mobs. I think only aggressive animals but not humanoids or scorpions if I remember right. If that extended to all aggro it would definitely make unicorns a viable mount for Fo priests!

21 hours ago, WittleBunnBun said:

Hey, 

I want to breed unicorns as mounts but I have been hearing a lot of talk that they might not be desirable due to certain game mechanics. 

I am trying to gather feedback from others about the topic and how they feel generally about the usefullness of unicorns. 

Do you ride a unicorn? If you do why, if you dont, also why. I am curious. 

Okay thanks! 

just don't do it, it's the dumbest thing in the game to ride a tamed creature

it's aggro magnet, your mount can be slowed or crippled to not move if it's wounded in specific places or by specific damage amount..

so..

Where is the fun in any of that?

• Like 1

Well I was going to give it a go ....

But trying to tame the creature just to lead and a stry crab almost killed my uni while I was disconnecting, then I had to wait to heal it to get it in the cage... 

THen I got back and realized the other one I caught and hitched on a post was untamed and left the post due to it being untamed... so not only is the taming being annoying due to aggro but also they dont stay hitched to posts......  

Big Sad

mhm.. whole thing is really stupid to use.. unsure how people do not go nuts and lose their minds about using any hhs or unicorns.. 'corns are practically useless, similar with hhs unless you do shenanigans, even then it's still stupid that they are aggro-magnets and wounds affect speed/carry-weight or as you mention loading in cages..

I ONCE tamed a 'corn, only to get it bashed once within 1-3 minutes by a troll which nailed it on it's spot with that wound, healing did nothing to help it be useful - 10/10 worst content to try.

it's just magical to imagine using them :) 

neither ah or taming skill as 50/70/90 "mastery" affects nothing as passive for your most used task.. riding around on horse back or cart/wagon/transporters..

🥶💤

On 1/23/2022 at 1:38 AM, Sidereal said:

Great opportunity to also improve mining/blacksmithing to make some fancy silver shoes

Imping gold/silver/electrum shoes uses jewelry smithing. Creating them uses blacksmithing.

1 hour ago, Borstaskor said:

Imping gold/silver/electrum shoes uses jewelry smithing. Creating them uses blacksmithing.

For real? * dies of laughter knowing I'll never bother with unis * 

I used to enjoy riding Unicorns. They run at their fastest at a constant speed unlike horses. The ability to carry a passenger in a pinch was nice too. However with having them to be tamed in order to ride, I have had a troll kill one out from under me so fast I could not pull the agro fast enough. That was a long walk home. I still raise them but now prefer either a horse or hell horse. 

• Like 1

unicorns should become non agressive to other mobs when tamed and while being current ridden

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 3

They are excellent if you just have to go 'do something' quick across server, like dropping something off or to go do a weird fog ritual at an obscure obelisk - they really do go woooooosh. 

Mine is only slightly (+-2km/h) slower than my 4speed hellie, and my hellie has got better gear. Also won't set you on fire....

Rubbish for hunting tho, like others have stated too, since they get attacked the whole time.

Highly recommended for Indy if you're travelling between the settled areas - not many mobs there to eat your unicorn and 40+km/h really speeds up travelling time!

I'd ride a unicorn if they weren't so impractical. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Emoo said:

I'd ride a unicorn if they weren't so impractical. 

This. 

They have a lot of strange counters that are set there to apparently avoid them being too OP, but find themselves so limited they fall behind horses and hell horses in every single way. 

• Like 5