Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Is wurm online depicting, referencing or involving any area or time age?

Is wurm online depicting, referencing or involving any area or time age? What do u think until now? 

I see oil and candle lamps but no light bulbs. Using a larder with ice balls but no refrigerator. At least its not modern.

Dragons(with big wings), goblins, trolls, kyklops(aka cyclops), etc are some kind of folklore? At least these are western folklore heavily involved . Or maybe i missed something.
Portcullises fortified the entrances to many medieval castles.
Plate armour, chain armour are common during the medieval period. 

Define medieval period first, i think people would agree that when u see this words, the first impression is about the history of Europe from 5th to late 15 centuries? 

So. What, Where, Who, are the icons, symbols, landmarks, people that represent in the medieval period? 
What do u expect to see during the medieval period?
what is ur first impression of medieval period?
Did wurm online do a good job? 
Do u like to see medieval period things in wurm online?
What should they add next? 
Should they keep medieval period as a direction of this game?

I guess no one will tag this isn't a fantasy game, as u can see spider is bigger than human body in game. (Oh don't tell me the species look like spider isn't spider and the species look like human isn't human, they are just some fantastical species which are not related to spider and human. And the name "spider" is just a fantastical name made up for the fantastical species in game, nothing related to spider in the world. Its just something made up in a fantastical way.) If u say something like that, i believe its called fiction not fantasy.

Tags for Wurm online on steam: Free to Play, RPG, Sandbox, Massively Multiplayer, Adventure, Indie, Building, Open World Survival Craft, MMORPG, PvP, Online Co-Op, PvE, Fantasy, Survival, Crafting, Multiplayer, Open World.
Tags for Wurm unlimited on steam: Open World Survival Craft, Open World, RPG, Sandbox, Crafting, Survival, Building, Adventure, Multiplayer, Indie, Base Building, Co-op, MMORPG, Singleplayer, PvP, First-Person, Medieval, Fantasy, PvE, Massively Multiplayer.

As u can see wurm unlimited have a Medieval tag, i don't see many art differences between wurm online and wurm unlimited. At least until now.

Mediaeval is nice safe designation.

Mediaeval is a huge period, and WO has bits from quite a range, probably indeed from early to late mediaeval.  Of course, it therefore is mostly European, but with Bisons and Mountain Gorillas 😁.   Tortoises are a weird bit, as in WO they are certainly amphibious and give seafood as meat (🤨).

I would like to see some Asian influence.  Despite what a lot of Westerners seem to assume, Asia has been there for pretty much the whole time Europe has. 

I would also like to see some antipodean flora and fauna.  The only animals in WO that I see IRL are the domesticated ones, and the only trees from RL for me are pines (and a lot of our pines are very different to Wurm pines).

I would "Roughly European Mediaeval equivalent fantasy world".

Well we also have stuff like corn and potatoes which aren't really of european origin (they come from South America).  Then we also have technology like plate armors which are arguably late medieval period. 

Lorewise, it's a fantasy world that borrows from various regions and historic periods from our own world. I mean we have the knarr, which is a viking-esque boat reminiscent of the longboat + caravels which are of 15-17th century design. That's a pretty huge time gap. 

Don't really want to dissect every aspect of wurm here but it's suffice to say that the period is closer to : any period + any region in both culture / fauna / flora as long as it keeps to a medieval - renaissance theme. 

Edited by elentari

I do not believe Wurm Online is referencing any particular time or age from the real world. 

Instead I believe it would be much more accurate to say that Wurm Online is referencing typical MMO/RPG/MUD lore and style. Which is why it has a variety of many different influences, none of which are consistent with a specific style, era or culture from history. 

I would also strongly argue that Wurm is a Fantasy MMORPG because it incorporates it's own mythology and magic into it's lore and game mechanics. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Emoo said:

I do not believe Wurm Online is referencing any particular time or age from the real world. 

Instead I believe it would be much more accurate to say that Wurm Online is referencing typical MMO/RPG/MUD lore and style. Which is why it has a variety of many different influences, none of which are consistent with a specific style, era or culture from history. 

I would also strongly argue that Wurm is a Fantasy MMORPG because it incorporates it's own mythology and magic into it's lore and game mechanics. 

Yeah, I think that is about right.

(BTW; who on earth pronounces it "e-moo"?)

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

(BTW; who on earth pronounces it "e-moo"?)

I do :)) I think in my mind it sounds like an electronic moo. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

https://www.wurmonline.com/meet-the-team-outdated/interview-with-rolf-jansson/
Now that you’ve worked on Wurm a pretty long time, do you have any end-goal or final vision for the game?
That’s very difficult to have with a virtual world. I want it to keep growing for at least an additional twenty years, and for it to slowly become the leading fantasy-simulator. 
(from Creator)

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online
(This article has been reviewed by Wurmpedia staff and has been accepted to contain up-to-date, factual, unbiased and opinion-free information. Consider this the seal of approval!)
Can I see my current location on the map?
The world of Wurm Online is based on a medieval setting, so there is no such thing as a GPS! Thus, you cannot see your current location on an in-game map. The challenge of finding out where you currently are is an interesting part of the game experience. Use the community map and try to find a landmark or a settlement close to you, then try to identify it on the map. Or talk to other players around you and ask them where you are.
(from Wurmpedia Staff last edited on 19 June 2021)

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Basic_Knowledge
It's Massively Multiplayer Online Fantasy Simulator (MMOFS), or you could call it a Life Emulator. 
(from a Wurmpedia Editor edited on 20 September 2021)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/366220/Wurm_Unlimited/
Wurm Unlimited is the standalone version of the fantasy sandbox world Wurm Online

https://twitter.com/wurmonline/status/1301497350519689218

Ever consider yourself an undiscovered writer of medieval sandbox fan-fiction? Well, now's your chance! Grab your quill and get writing for our awesome competition and get the chance to win premium time!
(from Former Community Relations Manager)

https://twitter.com/KatsPurr_/status/1425090986884145161

Almost 8 years of playing medieval #sandboxMMO #WurmOnline and still haven't explored every nook and cranny? Let's fix that today with our weekly Wurm Roulette! 
@wurmonline#Vstreamer #Vtuber
(from Current Art Developer)

https://twitter.com/KatsPurr_/status/1432715982645170181

A shrine on top of a mountain. A private island. An underground city. It's all possible in medieval sandbox MMO #WurmOnline. Let's set out to explore these wonders that players have made in yet another weekly Wurm Roulette #LiveStream! 
@wurmonline#Vtuber
(from Current Art Developer)

lets define the word fantasy, a type of story or literature that is set in an imaginary world, often involving traditional myths and magical creatures and sometimes ideas or events from the real world, especially from the medieval period of history
Ref from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fantasy

Everyone have their impression of what wurm online present to themselves. Which means if the goal of the team is to make a fantasy game, and try to execute the game with a fantasy theme. But the players see the outcome isn't a fantasy theme, this thing is subjective, maybe the creator isn't execute the theme properly. 

I believe the responsibility of the player is to keep making sure that the team are on track, and keep giving nice feedback with reasons. To make a better and proper game. 

Maybe their end-goal or final vision is changed, is the ancient vision still stand? so that players can support it. Like adding and suggesting things for a theme. or if the theme is changed then player change the suggestions for the changed theme. 
Maybe the team don't know what should be the vision is, then forum is a good way to tell the team what people want.

The devs are busy. We got passion, time to search history because we want to create and shape wurm to a decent game and reduce some of their workload. Like they advertise wurm as "A massive world you can create and shape around you." 

Lets verify the corn and potato. After the arrival of Europeans in 1492, Spanish settlers consumed maize, and explorers and traders carried it back to Europe and introduced it to other countries. Widespread cultivation most likely began in southern Spain in 1525. So medieval ended in late 15 centuries, its okay makes sense. 
The Bison. The species survived in the Ardennes and the Vosges Mountains until the 15th century. John Trevisa said bysontes" (Middle English). 
The Mountain gorilla. Since the discovery of the mountain gorilla subspecies in 1902. Who added this to this game? Mountain gorilla only spawns inside Mol-Rehan kingdoms. I believe its because Mol-Rehan have some kind of magic to resurrect it from fossil from 1.2 to 3 million years ago. Gladly it doesn't spawn all over in wurm maps. Otherwise it isn't really making any sense in medieval period. 
This game trick me to study history omg. History isn't boring at all if u have a purpose. Assume the wikipedia and WWF told me the best as they can.

If u ask me, i still see this whole game as a fantasy, medieval game with a little bit mountain gorilla situation we can discuss. The reasons are the trace, mark, trail, evidence are everywhere(from spoiler).

The current art dev see this game as a medieval game so we will keep receiving medieval arts from her. Advertise wurm online as a fantasy sandbox world from steam. An article with a sealing wax for newbie to read said the world of wurm online is based on a medieval setting. From The Creator, a leading fantasy-simulator.
If the current devs said it isn't a fantasy, medieval game, i feel jebaited. Am i using it right? I have no idea. Because the newbie article that i read from day 1 said it is a fantasy, medieval games with a sharp, red sealing wax. 

Wurm still has better lore and consistency in its themes than WoW technology where we have lasers, submarines, helicopters and planes yet people still fight with swords and clubs.... :)) but that's just my two cents there. 

As people said wurm has it own mythology and magic, which makes wurm a unique game. We just need to make sure it execute as it told people what u will expect in this game. Other games may have a similar themes and mechanics, but people can see the differences. We are creating and shaping wurm into a fantasy medieval sandbox game as it told.

But who knows, someone might be naughty and shape their houses into a helicopter in wurm. Lasers, submarines, helicopters and planes in wurm? Ya, a true sandbox game. What couldn't happen? I got 98lv carpentry, i could make multiple houses and shape it into a single helicopter🤓. But i am well behaved🤪

It's depicting a sunny Tuesday in Scandinavia, towards the late spring 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coach said:

Mountain gorilla only spawns inside Mol-Rehan kingdoms.

15 hours ago, Coach said:

Gladly it doesn't spawn all over in wurm maps

Erm, maybe that is a PvP thing, because I have seen them on Release from time to time.  Not a lot, but sometimes.  Certainly more than I have seen deer in the SFI.

• Like 1

Hmm... is that mean people ship the mountain gorilla from pvp to pve server. The wiki said mountain gorilla spawns inside Mol-Rehan kingdoms. I shouldn't use only if they can be breed on pve server, if the baby spawn on pve. They are not on NFI pve server then ha. Because its portal swap.

Edited by Coach

I think the most important thing to understand about Wurm is that it has never had a clear vision or end goal of what it wants to become. As such over the best part of two decades the vision of what Wurm could be has changed, both from the perspective of those involved since the beginning and the fact that there has been natural turnover of artist and developers. All of whom have had their hand in shaping what we know today based off of their unique perspective of what Wurm meant to them and what "fit" in the game world. Some examples of this include but aren't limited to;

- At one point Rolf envisioned not having any PvE at all and a free for all PvP game (which failed after implementation and caused the closure of JK-H and MR-H)
- Tich's cooking system is quite unique because of the very specific vision Tich had for what the game could be. This system isn't really replicated anywhere else in terms of depth, complexity of mechanics (besides fishing which was create on the foundation of a Tich system).
- Rolf and Notch disagreeing about the implementation of mythical creatures. "We will never add Dragons" - Notch. Spoiler alert - we got Dragons, perhaps ironically so did Minecraft. 

Overall I think it's probably fair to say to look at what Wurm is compared to what it was "meant" to be is an impossible exercise because there's no real answer. Try not to over think it. :)

• Like 2

Wurm always made me connect the word itself with "wyrm" which is a mythological creature in scandinavian folklore. In a way the mythos is already centered on a world called Wurm, represented by a serpent which may or not be an ultimate deity. Is it evil? Is is neutral? Are the gods its children? 

I think the lore could use some sprucing up, but as emoo has stated, wurm's vision and mythology is mostly a mish mash of ideas, some half implemented, some abandoned and each generation of devs / artists added something to it. Personally I kinda like it , even as chaotic as it might seem, it paints a picture of mysteries left to uncover. 

So many questions if  we really think about them : What are the purpose of the gods? Why are they fighting each other? What is Wurm's goal? What is going on on the other moons of Wurm such as Seris or Valrei? We know how Jackal was, but Seris and Valrei seem to be unexplored lands so far * hint hint , nudge nudge to devs for future servers * .  

Of course this game will keep changing, that's why we have updates. "Never had a clear vision or end goal", do u mean one day wurm might become a human? Meaning not a game anymore. I believe wurm online has some core elements that is hardly to change, such as fantasy, sandbox, medieval, and a game.

About the all pvp only, this is a game mechanic, isn't really related to shake or change the cores: fantasy, sandbox, medieval, game, still in a European area or and middle ages time.

Tich's cooking system, something related to fishing? its still a game mechanic. I believe the cooking recipes and fishes they added, we can see them in the medieval time.

Mythical creature, this is a folklore, as i said folklore is included in fantasy. Dragons are an important role in fantasy theme, and its mostly popular in all kind of fantasy game. I couldn't see why they shouldn't add it. Because its so important and popular, i believe "We will never add Dragons" is just a gimmick to get people attention and advertise this game, and of course they did a great job on adding the dragons eventually. They added the January' Monthly Skin recently, "Dragon Statuette", people are very excited. It got 37 replies until now, just nine days. December, November, October, September are just 10,4,23,27 respectively after all this time. I don't care what they didn't added, i care about what they added.

We are not compare wurm to the wurm before 15 years ago to 1 day ago. We are making sure wurm is similar to a fantasy game that the team of wurm told us u will expect this theme in the game.

I am glad people can see the fantasy theme in this game.

I do not believe that one day Wurm might become human. 

• Like 1

I know. Then wurm has a clear vision, which is a game. Wurm can be shape into more than a game but the changes always circle around the vision(a game). As long as its not on a path of changing to a human for example. The job is to keep wurm present like a game(vision). I believe the four core elements are the visions of wurm. 

"Game" may be a vague vision, but it is a far cry from "clear vision".

Tiddly winks is a game and so is jugger.

I would say that Wurm is an environment, rather than a game.  That is actually a key element of the notion of a sand pit (or sandbox as others call it).  It is a place and resource available for people to play their own games in it.  The local public park is not a game, it is a place and a resource and is the closest thing IRL to Wurm etc.  It is a virtual place with a roughly mediaeval fantasy setting - at least to me.

Edited by TheTrickster

Yes, i see ur point. I do see it wurm is like an environment. lets say simulator according to creator of wurm? wurm shaped into more than a simulator which is a game, to have some fun. Since gaming has such an important role in wurm history, i believe is from the beginning of wurm, i would say gaming is a core of wurm too. No matter its a environment, simulator, game or not, The core of fantasy, medieval are still here. Thats what the title are discussing about.

Edited by Coach

wurm is an alternative medieval universe countryside farming simulator aka AMUCFS

Edited by Jeston

As already mentioned the game's setting and art is mostly a very generic European medievalism, despite a wide range of foodstuffs.

However, a closer look does show a trend among the current art devs towards a Norse influence. The models for weapons, trolls, ships, and some structures in particular (vast improvement over the old troll model) show this.

Course the game company has been historically a Swedish company with the two founding devs, Rolf and Notch, as Swedes.

Unsure where the new parent company is based offhand.

Granted the art devs were volunteer for many many long years, hence the art style did wander a bit in direction, let alone quality.

There was an emphasis in avoiding the more comical styles of fantasy armor. World of Warcraft and the infamous chain bikinis/lingerie to cite just two excesses.

In Wurm, women actually enjoy full practical protection. 😁

What lore exists puts the lands on a non-Earth planet with very odd features. Newly discovered islands and portals yadda yadda.

Edited by Karrde