Sign in to follow this  
Muse

QoL: The (Currently) Useless Rare Items Thread

For years we've been tearing our hair out over disappointing rare rolls - but no more!  :) 

Lets compile a list of the rares that need a good / better use than saccing (some of them can't even be sacced).

Please submit your personal favourites (pet hates) below - along with any solutions and ideas for uses!

As the devs find us a use for all these "rotten rares", they can be finally crossed off the list. :) 

Rare Item Action (how we get the MOI) Ideas for uses / solution
? Interacting with the UI Delay MOI until a more productive action takes place
Increased yield / NEW Some chance for Casket Tending / Sowing (Crops) Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Nothing Cultivating / Packing Tiles Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Nothing Tracking Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Nothing Lockpicking Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
? / NEW Some chance for Casket Praying Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
? Meditating Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
? Bandaging / Healing Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
? Using Transmutation Liquid on a Tile Add chance for rare coins / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Nothing Rare roll when failing when Creating / Improving / Repairing an Item Add chance for rare coin / item / remove or delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Nothing / NEW Some chance for Casket Rare roll when investigating empty arch tile Add chance for rare coin / remove or delay MOI
Nothing Rare roll when opening an empty clam Add chance for rare coin
Rare Runes Create Rune Needs some use for rare+ runes, such as guaranteed to attach or easier to attach.
Rare Locks Create Lock Needs some use for rare+ locks, such as all rare+ padlocks could work as up to 100ql quality locks for bsbs/fsbs regardless of the lock quality
Rare Stump Woodcutting (Cutting down tree) Usually accompanied by rare felled tree. Add message to highlight this or add chance for rare coins. Possibly map casket.
Nothing Woodcutting (Cutting down bush) Add chance for rare branch. Possibly map casket. Possibly add substantial skill tick.
Rare Support Beam Create / Improve Support Beam Remove / delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Rare Floor Boards Create / Improve Floor Boards Remove / delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Rare Wemp Plants Foraging Allow the crushed fibre to keep the rarity of the wemp plants.
Rare Cotton (Ball) Foraging Stuffed soft furnishings or taxidermy or allow the string to keep the rarity of the cotton ball.
Rare Wool (Ball) Shearing (Sheep) / Foraging Stuffed soft furnishings or taxidermy or allow the yarn to keep the rarity of the wool ball.
Rare Concrete Creating Concrete from Mortar and Lye Remove / delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Rare Slab (all types) Create Slab Remove / delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Rare Peat Digging (Peat Tile) Remove / delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Rare Pottery Shingle Create / Improve clay Shingle and rolls during Archaeology Remove / delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Rare Slate Shingle Create slate Shingle and rolls during Archaeology Remove / delay MOI / add substantial skill tick
Rare Coffee Cherries Gardening: Harvest from planter Allow the intermediate stages to transfer the rarity to the next usable food product
Rare Coffee Bean Beverages: Roast green coffee bean in roasting dish Allow the intermediate stages to transfer the rarity to the next usable food product
Rare Cacao Pod Gardening: Harvest from planter Allow the intermediate stages to transfer the rarity to the next usable food product

Related threads:

Spoiler

Edited by Muse
  • Like 5

Wait until you find how many MOI's you waste right clicking on things

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Wait until you find how many MOI's you waste right clicking on things

so many fantastics and affinities.. lost..

r.i.p.

Lets not forget rare coffee cherries (gardening from herb planter), rare coffee beans (beverages from being roasted), (neither of which transfers rarity to their next point of use) rare cacao pods (gardening from herb planter) theres so so many.

• Like 1

every action should have a chance for coin imo

anything less is pointless if we go that route

rather not break it in detail how buffing this or debuffing that mechanic will collapse value

• Like 1

Rare stump. My first rare on NFI, I believe.

No idea how to fix that atrocity honestly. A coin on bashing maybe, idk

• Like 1

I wish players would stop considering each and every MoI as a guaranteed success giving a guaranteed "something".

A MoI is a chance to get something and the fact it IS a chance is the fun of it. Just like bying a lottery ticket is a chance to win a jackpot, not the guarantee.

I mean, each time someone buys a lottery ticket, would (s)he write a letter to the lottery organisation, demanding that they give the one who bought the ticket the jackpot??

So what will be next when the MoI will give a guaranteed result?

Things like: "Bah. I had a MoI when tending the farm fields and now I only got a rare 5c! I demand at least 1s!"

Next step after that is wanting surpeme coins or items and  the stage after that is wanting fantastic coins (if they even exist) or items. And what comes after that? The invention of a Galactic item as Fantastic is the best we got now?

Personally I think the system is fine as it is now. No matter what we get from a MoI, we can sac it, sell it or just use it as something to show off a bit. And if you don't want to do that, just let the rares rot as it would take a week or so before they're gone anyway.

But for the love of Fo, Libila, Magranon and Vynora, stop asking for a change that would eventually lead to so many rares, players would complain about not knowing what to do with them.

Thorin :) 

Edited by Thorinoakshield
Typos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

A MoI is a chance to get something and the fact it IS a chance is the fun of it. Just like bying a lottery ticket is a chance to win a jackpot, not the guarantee.

Currently, yes, but it is called a Moment of Inspiration.  That isn't like buying a lottery ticket, it's a special bit of insight or perspicuity - it should translate into something. Every. Single. Time.  Not just a drumroll and fleeting migraine aura.  

It doesn't need to always be rarity; and I don't think just paying coins is really the thing either - just make what you are doing at the time more effective.  It could mean added QL to the item, or making it while using less or the resource, or getting a twofer on creation, or doubling the amount of improvement, or double skill ticks (or even combos of those).

• Like 3

We dont always get something... an item going rare is the psuedo-rng roll being a success. Theres still the chance of something not going rare at all, ie a failed roll.

It just sucks to have a successful roll occur with nothing to really show for it. Prayers and farming are the worse two imho offhand; although, the OP's list is far more comprehensive.

Edited by Karrde
  • Like 1

Simply remove the visuals and sound effect from the rolls where it may have no effect (like prayer etc.). Other than that all is fine as is IMHO except the right click eating MOI

• Like 3

see i agree with both sides on this...but wouldnt you say that every action has a chance of getting a reward? so why not do one of 2 things 1)Only have the MOI if you actually get it. or 2) when you get the MOI you actually have a MOI and get the reward....wait they are the same thing....sooooo im confused if every action has the chance of making a rare the MOI is just a teaser like "oh this might be it!!!???" and then you dont get it and have to wait until the next oh this might be it and at the same time every action "might be it, its just the MOI has more of a chance of this might be it"?

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is asking for a *guaranteed* rare success, but a) performing a spectacular rare roll graphic or b) silently and invisibly using up a MOI chance - when there is absolutely NO chance of anything useful in either case, are the two issues most people have with the current system, I think.

• Like 2

Rare bandaging... so where's my shimmering bandage?  🩹;)

• Like 1

With healing. If a successful roll, meant some sort of enhanced healing... Awesome and give feedback to player, say examine wound info.

Success while farming... Have it impact the farming acts respectively in different ways with feedback.

Prayers? Maybe a little more faith gained and/or favor Regen. Show in spell effects or some other feedback.

Etc...

Overall, feedback so the player can see something was enhanced and have some idea of how.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:26 AM, Thorinoakshield said:

I wish players would stop considering each and every MoI as a guaranteed success giving a guaranteed "something".

Good analogy, problem is, there are Moi now that is like buying a random quick pick lotto ticket and getting the winning numbers, the week After they're the winning numbers, nice piece of paper but absolutely useless.

A CHANCE to get SOMETHING is what you just said, problem is there are moi that have absolutely Zero Somethings with it, or if they are something with it, there's not gain whatsoever so WE the players perceive them as absolutely useless.

That is not what we're asking for, for the most part most of use just want useless moments to be delayed, not available or just actually give a chance to Give something, Just like you just said.

For example, 3 weeks, no Moi, goto tend farms, you get 8.  Really?!? 8, with nothing to show for it. Oh oh it improved the tend of the tile, big whoop, a rune will do that for you as well as high farming skill, ZERO GAIN ZERO CHANCE at something.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:26 AM, Thorinoakshield said:

Personally I think the system is fine as it is now. No matter what we get from a MoI, we can sac it, sell it or just use it as something to show off a bit

So what exactly can you get from a rare roll on tending a field that you can Sac, Sell, or Use to show off? 

On 1/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, Stormblade said:

So what exactly can you get from a rare roll on tending a field that you can Sac, Sell, or Use to show off? 

Increased yield 

Clearing my head and thinking about this while sowing seeds. I'd have to say a hard no to delaying moi rolls.  Reason being this could lead into to many exploitive behavior abusing this mechanic.

Here's how. Sow 1000 fields, all those moi are delayed, then go make boats, you'd get this que of moi on just making boats or whatever item.

So I'd have to say a hard not to agreeing to any kind of delay behavior for or on Moi.

Rare crop can easily be something to an extent of "rare field of Cotton can be harvested a total of 3 more times" "It shines bright as it reflects its thriving absorbtion of sunlight down to the deepest roots of in the soil" "you figure you can possibly harvest a rare quality cotton if the gods favour you this day"

List being updated for Jan 2024.  Please feel free to add your useless rares!  :) 

14 hours ago, Muse said:

List being updated for Jan 2024.  Please feel free to add your useless rares!  :) 

Rolls while cutting bushes.

You are guaranteed to get nothing.

Well, make it to get a branch of such bush, 

or a considerable skill tick.

• Like 4