Sign in to follow this  
Gwiz

Excessive Damage to Yule Statues on Fireplace Mantles

I'm not sure if this a bug or a feature.  

Placing finished Yule Statues (either reindeer or goat) on a fireplace mantle causes super-fast damage.  I've lost three or four this way, the last one crumbled to dust within minutes of placing it. I would test it out some more, but the event has ended and I don't want to lose the remaining 4 or 5 statues I still have.

This could be a feature since the statues are made of straw and my fireplaces are lit and maybe straw stuff catches fire when on a mantle, but I think that's a bit lame myself, since I can keep matches on my fireplace mantle in real life without them catching fire.

Thanks

G

"wooden" and burning items placed on lit places like forges/ovens.. do heat up and take damage - that is intended, if event statuettes should be exception is another question

---

placing items on top of other counts like putting them "in" that "container", that applies to tables/statues/etc.. 

Edited by Finnn

I kind of figured it was something like that and it kind of makes sense for ovens & forges since items are placed right near the flames.   It doesn't make sense to me on the fireplaces because 1) they are strictly for decoration and have no real function  and 2) the mantle is well above the flames and you should be able to place anything up there (for example, I keep matches on my mantle in real life and they are just fine).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gwiz said:

I kind of figured it was something like that and it kind of makes sense for ovens & forges since items are placed right near the flames.   It doesn't make sense to me on the fireplaces because 1) they are strictly for decoration and have no real function  and 2) the mantle is well above the flames and you should be able to place anything up there (for example, I keep matches on my mantle in real life and they are just fine).

I agree Fireplace mantles should hold decorations without fire Damage.

This technically isn't a bug - items placed 'on' something actually count as being in them, so placing items on forges, ovens, fireplaces, etc is the same as putting the item in the forge etc.  When you light the burner, if the thing you've placed on the burner is flammable (made of wood, etc), then it will burn.

This isn't the most intuitive feature, but it's technically WAI.  You're welcome to post a suggestion to change it (and I'll flag it internally as well).