Sign in to follow this  
Raheed

Concrete on Cave Ceilings

Feature Request

Allow for the application of concrete on the corners of Cave Ceilings, each application would lower the height of the ceiling by one slope.

Reason For Request

I have recently been working on a 'cave deed', one of the goals of the deed was to mine along the exterior of the rock layer to follow the natural contour of the rock face. Of course when you start to raise the ceiling close to the slope on the outside you ultimately receive error messages and cannot proceed (which of course makes sense). What happens is that if you get too close to the limit you can start to get graphical glitches along the lines of.

• Objects from the exterior appearing partially in your mine. In the case of shrubs this sometimes will happen only "some of the time" (weather driven, I believe).
  • From certain angles when viewing the rock surface from the exterior you can see 'black lines' around the tile edges / corners.
  • If there a thin layer of dirt with a tree for example the stump might show through

For what I assume are well considered reasons there are slope limitations to applying concrete on the exterior of the rock surface (ie: slopes > 40). So I reason by being able to lower the ceiling height on the inside would provide a tool to mitigate these graphical nuisances without impacting these well considered reasons.

Limitations

I think there are two obvious limitations which should apply:

1. There is a a limit to how high you can reach when mining out a ceiling, this limit should also apply to the application of concrete (if you can't reach it with your pick axe probably can't reach it with concrete).
  2. There is a minimum threshold beyond which you cannot lower the ceiling further (if the ceiling were any lower you would not be able to pass). This limit should match whatever the default height of a tunnel is when first opened.

Summary

Allowing the application of concrete to ceilings would give us a tool to fix these annoying graphical effects without changing any other game mechanics.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

• Like 3

Great idea. Short of allowing a tile to collapse or collapsing it yourself and re-mining it out with the new desired ceiling height, there isn't currently an easy way to achieve what this would add and finer finished subterranean builds are a beautiful thing! Hope this gets considered.

+1

This has been requested frequently in the past (don't make me search the forums, but I know several threads must exist 😉) and it is still a very good suggestion. Please make it happen! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elliot said:

Great idea. Short of allowing a tile to collapse or collapsing it yourself and re-mining it out with the new desired ceiling height, there isn't currently an easy way to achieve what this would add and finer finished subterranean builds are a beautiful thing! Hope this gets considered.

Indeed the current workaround involves mining the tile out, mining the ceiling. If an error message is encountered then collapse the tile and mine it out again, but this time while counting the number of swings until the error message is reached. Collapse it one more time and finally mine the ceiling leaving a 5 slow gap to the roof. This at least gives enough clearance to mitigate the worst of the graphical effects (though maybe not trees if you have shallow dirt).

So yea a workaround does exist but not gonna lie it is an enormous hassle.