Sign in to follow this  
Elliot

More Priest Journal Goal Clusters Beyond Benediction

It would be great to see at least one or two additional Journal Goal Clusters added to the priest Journal beyond Benediction and I believe this would give priest players more long-term goals to aim for and challenge themselves, be fairly simple to add/implement and not create any new balance issues to gameplay.

Journal Goals present a fun and engaging challenge for players which gives tangible milestones to aim for which enhance player engagement and fun and which offer some nice bonuses which are balanced at the latter end of the journal with increasingly challenging difficulty goal to accomplish. They are a great part of the game and fit perfectly with the spirit of Wurm as a game to be enjoyed by players for a long time with accomplishments which can take real life years to achieve.

Currently the Crafter tree of the player journal offers 10 goal clusters with the last 6 offering rewards beyond just titles and hours of sleep bonus that include a moon metal lump, choice of 1 new affinity, an added hour of maximum sleep bonus capacity, a static 2.5% boost to skill gains, +10% rarity windows and lastly +10% affinity windows and master cape. While it is true that any player could tackle these challenges on the crafter path before becoming a priest, in practicality most priests start a priest path long before their skills would allow them to complete something like improving a tool to 50QL which is a requirement for only the third goal cluster in the crafter tree of the journal; Gathering Stride, with only 2 hours of Sleep Bonus and Experienced title as a reward. Since priests can’t improve items, they are effectively locked out of most of the crafter goals and can’t do later ones that don’t have improving goal requirements as those are opened by previous goal sets which do.

The Journal currently offers only 3 goal clusters under the Priest path with only the last two, Approbation and Benediction offering a reward beyond just title and hours of sleep bonus (Benediction being widely considered as the only really decent reward, since 1 extra faith gain prayer a day under Approbation is basically only an extra 0.07 faith gained from that extra prayer a day at most by the time you are 70+ faith to complete that goal). I am suggesting more goal categories be added beyond Benediction for the Priest tree of the player journal with some rewards on par with some of the later crafter tree goal clusters and more challenging goal requirements to match.

As merely an example, you could add a goal category like this beyond Benediction:

Exaltation

1.      Complete a colossus of your current deity

2.      Reach 90 Religion

3.      Serve as a link for another priest 20 individual times (minimum 30 minutes apart) for 15+ minutes per instance.

4.      Sacrifice 10 Champion creatures

5.      Spend 1 million favor

6.      Directly deal or heal (in any combination) 1 million damage with Priest Spells

7.      Reach 90 Channeling

8.      Sacrifice 500K items

9.      Cast a 100+ power spell

10.    Recover 100 favor from a vesseled gem 5 times

11.    Reach 90 Preaching

Reward: Saintly/Cambion title, +2.0% to favor regen rate and 5hr sleep bonus (on cluster of completion)

Obviously there are many possibilities for increasingly challenging goals that could be used and other rewards to offer like a a buff to cast speed, extra chosen spell from a different deity's spellist maybe from those offered under 30 Faith (limited list obviously to prevent this being too OP) or an end goal wearable piece comparable to master cape (a stole or robe in the cape slot, or a mitre hat or similar such show-piece).

These are just basic ideas, but ultimately I hope my suggestion to add some new journal goal clusters to the priest tree are considered as it would enhance the long-term game for many priests like myself, give us increasingly challenging goals to chase and enhance engagement for players over long-term play. Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Elliot
incorporated some of the added comment suggestions to example goals
  • Like 6

Yes tweaking the goal requirements to match reward/ goal category undoubtedly makes sense. 95 prayer for that goal cluster/reward seems fitting to me, maybe even something like 90-95 Exorcism which very few people have skilled. Just want to see more goals and challenges to chase after Benediction.

• Like 1

I think 2.5% is still kind of op, I'd rather see it around 2%, I think that's a sweet spot for it 

• Like 1

I'm not a priest, so I can't chime on on goals/rewards, but I do think having additional journal trees for priests can only be a good thing.  That said, as I understand it, priests can become champions...perhaps even that can be turned into a journal tree (with a list of goals which will guide you there).  Great suggestion!

• Like 1

Yep 2% would still be great and possibly more balanced. That suggested goal category and reward in the post are merely an example, but I'm mostly just interested in promoting the idea of more goals and challenges being added to the priest tree of the journal beyond Benediction in general; completely open to tweaking details of the requirements and rewards towards good balance.  Added goals could add more interest to the priest role into later game long-play and most importantly more fun chasing increasingly difficult goals which is really my aim. And it just feels a little empty to me after benediction when I look at the many later game journal goals the crafter tree gets to chase. Having more mountains to climb under different game roles seems like an absolute positive to me.

I agree in more journal goals, for priests and non-priests. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I agree in more journal goals, for priests and non-priests. :)

Thats right :D

• Like 1

I like it, but would remove the the 10 global casts.  Having that in there will make it considerably more challenging for younger priests trying for Benediction.  I refer more to the younger servers with large populations.

• Like 3

Yes can see certain goals making it harder for others when there are only limited opportunities to fulfill them server-wide, maybe instead of something like 10 globals, a goal like serving as a link for another priest for a number or times or cumulative hours would promote helping others up or some other challenging goal that produces something productive for other players too like cast 20 95+ resistance enchants so there's more of that jewelry floating about.

Edited by Elliot

Also, I am not sure why the favor regen is over powered. Favor regen is so slow already that 2 or 2.5% hardly seems like it would be noticeable. Is it a PvP balance issue?  I certainly can't see it doing anything for me in channel grind, or enchanting tools, as that is going to be favor saccing nearly all the time.

I thought this as well regarding that as a +2.5% favor regen as a possible reward. I know that on pvp servers there are  a few special officer titles in player kingdoms for priests that give as much as double favor regen or 1/2 spell favor costs, so as a challenging goal completion reward, 2.5% bonus to favor regen didn't seem that OP to me, but I don't have all the contexts for how that would play in pvp vs pve or all modes of play. That specific reward or those goals are not central to my suggestion anyway as that was just an example set of challenges and a possible reward but the ultimate reward/s and goals if this were implemented would be up to what devs feel is balanced and made sense with the added oversight and context they have. For my part in whatever form it took, I just would like more goals to chase with some more rewards on par with what non-priests can go after towards the end of their journal.

I agree that a longer mission tree for priests would be good.  Actual balance can be worked out once the general idea is accepted.  

I don't particularly dislike the idea, but i think some requirements are doable and might be fun while others are really off the charts as difficulty.

1.      Complete a colossus of your current deity  - Achievable, even if a bit boring

2.      Reach 90 Religion - Extremely hard / almost impossible , i would definitively tune it down, but at least it's something that you'll eventually go towards anyway just by playing

3.      Serve as a link for another priest 20 individual times (minimum 30 minutes apart) for 15+ minutes per instance. - Odd, specific, and quite easy

4.      Sacrifice 10 Champion creatures -Achievable, a bit of a hassle but nothing crazy

5.      Spend 1 million favor - Hard but easy on the long term

6.      Directly deal or heal (in any combination) 1 million damage with Priest Spells - Very specfic and boring, 1 milion is a lot and that would be something like 500x rifts if you want to do it quickly (100 rifts goal used to be a nightmare)

7.      Reach 90 Channeling - Challenging but pretty easy compared to the rest

8.      Sacrifice 500K items  - definitively hard, but naturally occurring in most cases if you have to do all the rest

9.      Cast a 100+ power spell - Extremely easy compared to the rest

10.    Recover 100 favor from a vesseled gem 5 times - not sure if that's technically possible as it's hard to do that exactly at 0 favor, but easy besides that.

11.    Reach 90 Preaching - I'm honestly not sure if it's just a ridiculously time consuming specific and annoying to grind activity or it's actually not even achievable at all in a lifetime. In either case, please no, lol.

Having a 2,5% favor regen sure is nice, but if you completed all those goals you are way beyond the point where producing favor could have been even remotely a problem for you, so you'll just have to drop one of the things you already specialized in, and you'll end up casting slightly slower in order to consume no favor, so i'm a bit unconvinced.

After all i would probably be happier to see more things like random or even specific affinities or less powerful passive bonuses as rewards and more humanly achievable challenges than those

• Like 1

Good points Davih, I don't want people to focus too heavily on specifics of the example goals and reward I mentioned as I am primarily just hoping to have the addition of some goal clusters with rewards beyond Benediction in the journal considered as an addition. Specific challenges and rewards I'm sure there are a lot of good ideas for (I like yours of maybe a specific priest related affinity being a reward for some goal cluster that could be added as the crafting tree has one that gives 1 new affinity of choosing). Some of my quirkier ones in the example like serving as a link while not hard per se' were more of an expression of including some goals that encourage you to help newer priests with their progression in the later phases of your own because I think that'd be cool for the community. I thought of some other ones like perhaps building a mission structure; temple, shrine, obelisk etc. but I'd love to see ideas from lots of more experienced players than I on what would fit in terms of challenges in a goal cluster and commensurate reward. I'm just happy if others like the general idea of adding a few more for the late/end game of the priest's journal and hope it sparks interest and consideration from the dev team as I think it would pay off well in game enrichment for the effort needed to implement. Fingers crossed and thanks for giving it a thorough read. o7

I like the idea of having extra goals but the reward must be worth it. It needs to top the +5 power and I can't think of any priest orientated reward that would do that.

I personally would not consider x.xx% favor regen as any incentive for me. Don't see where it would benefit me at all. I have 100's of vesseled gems and 1000's of 70ql cordage ropes.

The something that might entice me to do another journal is by possibly removing some of the priest restrictions. Maybe an option to "steal" 1 spell from another deity.

E.g. I would love to have a healing spell on my Vyn. 

or Reveal Creatures on my Mag & Fo.

or LT on my Vyn

You get the idea.

I thought this as well regarding that as a +2.5% favor regen as a possible reward. I know that on pvp servers there are  a few special officer titles in player kingdoms for priests that give as much as double favor regen or 1/2 spell favor costs, so as a challenging goal completion reward, 2.5% bonus to favor regen didn't seem that OP to me, but I don't have all the contexts for how that would play in pvp vs pve or all modes of play. That specific reward or those goals are not central to my suggestion anyway as that was just an example set of challenges and a possible reward but the ultimate reward/s and goals if this were implemented would be up to what devs feel is balanced and made sense with the added oversight and context they have. For my part in whatever form it took, I just would like more goals to chase with some more rewards on par with what non-priests can go after towards the end of their journal.

As for what other possible rewards beyond Benediction's awesome one you could apply for a more extreme challenge set of goals: yes picking a spell to gain from a diff deities' spell list (albeit this might need to be a limited set of choices for balance) or something like a more decent cut to spell favor cost, or maybe even a 'mastery' spell or ability gained (could be a 100 favor spell or just be a once per 18hr ability like meditate levels give) that differed depending on your faith: some things like a Stronger longer lasting zombie pet for Lib, or an AOE form of Wisdom of Vynora for Vyn (or maybe something else that enhances skilling like applying 3hr affinity of choice), maybe a randomized transmute ala the rod of transmutation but a little weaker for Mag and for Fo some kind of ultimate aoe buff acting as a heightened willowspine, forest giant strength and light of Fo combined for you and allies around. In any case, those are some very loose ideas for rewards beyond benediction that might be worth the effort of completing even harder challenges. Could also be as simple as a once per day ability that applies an expendable buff to you that guarantees your next cast will be over 75 or 80 (re-rolls result on the back end til' it gets a value over this) or a flat bonus to favor maximum that allows you to exceed 100 by 20 or something. Plenty of possible rewards that would be worth working towards beyond benediction I can imagine.

Could we also expand the crafter journal part? Most people after completing the 100 rifts bit tend to finish their goals as well. 

Would like to see something expanded on that as well. 

• Like 1