Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Racial diversity completely lacking.... will it ever change?

Might be true, but gnomegates does make a very good point. While it's important to allow customization options, bugfixes and fixing broken mechanics should always take priority above cosmetics. There are a ton of pretty games out there with broken mechanics that dont have players anymore. I still don't think the AH update is fixed. Still waiting on the exploration update and coffee update as well. Not to mention qol improvements which are many we'd sorely need. And don't get me started on pvp and lack of player retention or having Epic as a dead cluster for 4 years now. Would be nice to get customization options after those problems are addressed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

Racial diversity may not be important to you, but it's important to a lot of other people, it's not just cosmetics. 

I'm glad you're keen on causes related to ethics - and took down your ethically disgusting profile pic.  Though you're still representing it in words in the current profile pic. "Representation is not cosmetic"..       Helps to be and act ethically when you want to talk ethics with others.

It's all a matter of opinion, however, when it comes to what should be worked on what should not with the limited development Wurm sees. Functionality seems to me much more important than cosmetics, but that's just an opinion; my opinion. For what it's worth, though, WO did have a banner running for quite a while expressing its backing of Black Lives Matter, so it's not as if there has never been acknowledgement to matters of diversity/race etc.

Edited by MordosKull
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

Racial diversity may not be important to you, but it's important to a lot of other people, it's not just cosmetics.

Where did I say it was or was not important to me. Just because one thing is more important to someone over something else, does not mean that other things are not important as well. When it comes to a game that I pay to play, provided by a company that needs to turn a profit to keep paying its employees to keep the game running it is only wise to put priority to the things that will help that company at this point. As I stated I don't feel that adding this "Racial Diversity" will do anything to help Wurm at this point in time. While it may be important to you, it may not be as important to others when it comes to the ability of the product that they consume to continue to exist.  It is about priority not importance of one subject over another. Should a company go broke spending time and resources on adding content that that will not help fix the holes in the ship? I feel the priority should be to fix the holes in the ship and then you can focus on improving the product and making things right. Painting a sinking ship pretty colors does no good when the ship is sitting on the bottom of the ocean.

But thank you for painting with such a broad brush so as to assume that because someone does not agree with your opinion that they put no importance to a subject matter. Some of us are able to have more then one thing important to us and able to put priority to those things in what we feel is a logical order.

Happy Wurming

• Like 1

Seem to be a lot of people telling on themselves in this thread.

C'mon folks, this isn't about cosmetics. This is about white being the only option for characters and NPCs in a game played by people all around the world and right now it's saying that only white people are welcome in our fantasy world. This shouldn't have to be a suggestions thread; it should've been addressed long before now. And I'm kinda grossed out that so many people feel strongly enough that this very simple piece of work that has been identified again and again as in need of doing over the years *shouldn't* get priority that they came here to swear about it, make straw man arguments and false equivalencies and generally kick up a stink about the possibility of it getting even a minimal amount of art-dev time. Even if representation isn't more important to you than, I don't know, another overdue bugfix or two (and honestly, ###### shame on you if that's genuinely the case) - presumably the future of the game is? If this oversight gets noticed by someone with a big enough platform Wurm is going to get dragged through the mud on a very public stage. We're getting fancy new skins every month, and new items, textures and buildables every year but we still can't pick a shade darker than tan on our very basic character models.

This shouldn't be up for debate. Representation matters.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, gnomegates said:

When it comes to a game that I pay to play, provided by a company that needs to turn a profit to keep paying its employees to keep the game running it is only wise to put priority to the things that will help that company at this point. As I stated I don't feel that adding this "Racial Diversity" will do anything to help Wurm at this point in time. 

But thank you for painting with such a broad brush so as to assume that because someone does not agree with your opinion that they put no importance to a subject matter. Some of us are able to have more then one thing important to us and able to put priority to those things in what we feel is a logical order.

Happy Wurming

Okay but more options for character creation would result in players needing to adjust their current toons, driving silver/prem sales for marks. But are you really gonna take a sad financial gain stance on a post simply asking for more representation in a game, especially when the devs already said over a year ago that it'd be a priority? 

Glad you got to decide for us that the logical order is further janking up an already jank game rather than simply adding proper representation for players   🤡

Edited by Synjor
  • Like 1

Well this thread is awful.

1. Stop strawmaning each other.

2. To those thinking it doesn't matter if skintones aren't added.  It doesn't, nothing cosmetic is. It also takes little effort for the wurm team to add it, and it matters to individual players. The texture shouldn't take more than a few minutes. There's no reason not to take 5 minutes to let people be happy.

3. To those thinking this will increase sales, so will any content update.

4.  To those thinking this will delay a bug fix, there's no reason we should accept that as an excuse

5. It's a game, neither bug fixes or new skintones are going to bring in or scare off 10,000 players overnight. Period.

6. To those thinking it'll get wurm in trouble. Wurm isn't big enough or important enough. That doesn't mean do nothing, it means relax. 

7. My character looks like a neon white shaved potato. You cannot convince me that anyone gets representation in wurm CURRENTLY.  A character overhaul is LONG needed, and NO that does not mean I'm saying do nothing. Pointing out a larger problem =/= ignoring another

Stop being so nasty to each other. We need more updates to wurm, that's the real issue

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Synjor said:

Glad you got to decide for us that the logical order is further janking up an already jank game rather than simply adding proper representation for players   🤡

1 hour ago, crimsonearth said:

Seem to be a lot of people telling on themselves in this thread.

C'mon folks, this isn't about cosmetics. This is about white being the only option for characters and NPCs in a game played by people all around the world and right now it's saying that only white people are welcome in our fantasy world. This shouldn't have to be a suggestions thread; it should've been addressed long before now. And I'm kinda grossed out that so many people feel strongly enough that this very simple piece of work that has been identified again and again as in need of doing over the years *shouldn't* get priority that they came here to swear about it, make straw man arguments and false equivalencies and generally kick up a stink about the possibility of it getting even a minimal amount of art-dev time. Even if representation isn't more important to you than, I don't know, another overdue bugfix or two (and honestly, ###### shame on you if that's genuinely the case) - presumably the future of the game is? If this oversight gets noticed by someone with a big enough platform Wurm is going to get dragged through the mud on a very public stage. We're getting fancy new skins every month, and new items, textures and buildables every year but we still can't pick a shade darker than tan on our very basic character models.

This shouldn't be up for debate. Representation matters.

Excuse me, but no where did I say I decided for you or anyone else, I simply stated my opinion and how I feel about the suggestion and now you and others are here trying to shame and belittle me because I don't have the same opinion as you when it comes to the priority of what I feel the direction of the game should be.

You and others here want to have proper representation but only when it aligns with your views or beliefs, god forbid someone comes along and disagrees with your position and holds a different opinion, then its like, lets all gang up on them and shame them and call them racist and bigots, because that is what your trying to do here with out saying it.. I'll say it for you, you are calling me a racist and bigot because I feel that it is better for the game direction to fix the game so that there is a game to continue to play so that then proper representation can be added. Your view is to lets fix the representation first. Its a simple matter of we think there should be a different priority in the order of fixing the game. Because I don't agree with you I'm the racist and bigot. Grow up and learn to disagree with people of other opinions and present your thoughts in a manner that does not require you to shame and belittle them to get the outcome that you want. 

Saying that because white is the only color available that means only white people are welcome in our fantasy world is so backwards and is trying to hard to look for a problem that means if you felt so strongly about it you would not be playing this game if you felt that the game is by default telling non white that they are not welcome. So either it is telling them that they are not welcome, and your ok with paying this company money to keep playing the game knowing that you feel this way. Put your money where your mouth is. 

You coming here and saying "shame" on you because someone does not agree with you.....

Let me be very clear here. I will not tolerate responses like this any further. You should be able to have a civil discourse about a subject without reverting to trying to shame and bully people into your position. No where have I said or would I ever say that this issue is not important. I'm also on record saying that bug fixes and other content fixes should be done before any new cosmetics or fancy new toys. Fix the game is simply that, fix the game then you can make things right. Its about a process of order to do things that is the most benefit to the game and the community. If you have to resort to calling people names and trying to shame and bully them, that speaks more about you and the kind of person you are then anything else.

I'll say it again, grow up and learn how to have a civil conversation. And no, the irony is not lost on me that I am not civil in this response, because at this point it is not about a civil conversation when people are trying to bully and shame others for not having the same opinion. Trying to assume you know something about someone based on a post like this when you know nothing about that person, who they are in real life, who their wife/husband/kids/friends may be or even what color that they may be, all over text on a game forums....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, elentari said:

Might be true, but gnomegates does make a very good point. While it's important to allow customization options, bugfixes and fixing broken mechanics should always take priority above cosmetics. There are a ton of pretty games out there with broken mechanics that dont have players anymore. I still don't think the AH update is fixed. Still waiting on the exploration update and coffee update as well. Not to mention qol improvements which are many we'd sorely need. And don't get me started on pvp and lack of player retention or having Epic as a dead cluster for 4 years now. Would be nice to get customization options after those problems are addressed. 

This here 100%

Its about the process and doing things in a order that I feel is better for the game. Some here disagree with that, that is fine, I can accept that, nor would I fight against anything if that was the direction that the devs decided to go in fixing the game, because lack of representation is a problem that needs to be fixed. Some of us simply disagree on the order that the fix should be in. And because some of us don't agree with others, that makes us the bigots and racists that should be ashamed of ourselves.....

wow

It seems that people just want to sling mud now and try to label people, instead of presenting ideas or thoughts on why one position should take priority over another. Have a great day and Happy Wurming! I'm Out.

Edited by gnomegates
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gnomegates said:

I'm also on record saying that bug fixes and other content fixes should be done before any new cosmetics or fancy new toys. Fix the game is simply that, fix the game then you can make things right. Its about a process of order to do things that is the most benefit to the game and the community.

H1lxVtG.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Melfice said:

H1lxVtG.png

Sure, I always will agree with new cosmetics, I'm not going to go against them, but I also will not put a priority to them over fixes to the game. In general its about support the game devs in the direction that they want to go, with voicing my opinion on what I feel should be a focus, fixes over cosmetics. But one can still have an opinion of supporting cosmetics while at the same time wanting bug fixes to come first....not sure how you fail to see, unless you have other motives in posting this in hopes that you can call me a hypocrite, because I support both, but with priority on game fixes... So not sure what your point here is.

You have made 9 posts in 7 years on the forums, and one of them is trying to smear me....very classy and way to stay on the topic here.

Edited by gnomegates
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Melfice said:

Ok buddy, you've voiced your opinion. 

Ok Captain Obvious...

1 minute ago, gnomegates said:

Ok Captain Obvious...

That was unnecessary.

5 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

You have made 9 posts in 7 years on the forums, and one of them is trying to smear me....very classy and way to stay on the topic here.

Not sure how literally quoting you twice and saying nothing else is smearing you?

You've voiced your opinion, I'm just stating facts.

Put hats on donkeys - "Yes please, that's cool."
Put a range of skin tones in the game. - "Absolutely not, bug fixes come first."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Melfice said:

That was unnecessary.

Not sure how literally quoting you twice and saying nothing else is smearing you?

You've voiced your opinion, I'm just stating facts.

Put hats on donkeys - "Yes please, that's cool."
Put a range of skin tones in the game. - "Absolutely not, bug fixes come first."

Hats on donkeys? What are you talking about? Now your making stuff up in trying to support some "Facts"

How about you actually read what I said and not read INTO what you think I'm saying.

If the devs are going to release cosmetics then yes I'm going to support that as I do believe that cosmetics are important to the game. They add fresh looks and gives people more options, things that are always a good thing, including adding representation of more skin tones, which I have said I agree with and have no issue with. And if they choose to do that then I would support that, but would also voice that I feel that bug fixes are more important then "Hats on donkeys"   Again read what is being said not what you want me to be saying because you don't agree with me. Its about being honest and honorable in a debate and not trying to mislead.

Also to note, if they devs are going to focus on cosmetics and not bug fixes, then yes Proper Representation should be at the top of the list, not only correcting a long standing issue, but giving more options to old and new players.

2 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

Also to note, if they devs are going to focus on cosmetics and not bug fixes, then yes Proper Representation should be at the top of the list, not only correcting a long standing issue, but giving more options to old and new players.

Glad to hear it.

• Like 2

Just now, Melfice said:

FYI. This is what I was talking about.

Thank you for clearing that up, now I understand the hats on donkeys reference! :)

They can hook everyone up with a non-tradable, one time use hand mirror to change their appearance again with some skin tones.  Or let us dye our skin.  lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

They can hook everyone up with a non-tradable, one time use hand mirror to change their appearance again with some skin tones.  Or let us dye our skin.  lol

Now that would be pretty funny to see. Next public unique slaying would be a rainbow of colors. Maybe sell the hand mirror to change skin tones and hair dye to dye our hair! :)

Edited by gnomegates

just turn them all grey...there ya go fixed now no colors are represented and it is purely fantasy :)

Honestly at this point I'm just disappointed in people. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gnomegates said:

Now that would be pretty funny to see. Next public unique slaying would be a rainbow of colors. Maybe sell the hand mirror to change skin tones and hair dye to dye our hair! :)

wt*/ever that's related to... this actually is a good idea on it's own.. for NS/Alchemy.. for rgb hair color dye or random color bomb costing near same materials.. but also a bit cheaper because of the outcome, still not too cheap to skip making good dye

imo post separate suggestion for that with ns/alchemy skills

• Like 1