Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Racial diversity completely lacking.... will it ever change?

If you consider the ethnicity of the earth, only a minority is represented in Wurm.  This has been brought up many times and we really aren't making progress.  Character models are super cheesy anyway, so isn't it time for an overhaul?  If you don't care about diversity for ethical reasons, you SHOULD care about it for economic reasons. 

A lot of people like to bond with their characters and they do so by customizing their appearance into something they can connect with.  If the models are based on graphics from 15 years ago and have minimal diversity, you are ignoring the majority of your potential player base.

Please get this on the roadmap.

• Like 19

Some of us would really appreciate the opportunity to evolve into a dwarf.

Also yes. Greater customization and flexibility is always a benefit. Especially in a game as time consuming as this. Its a good request with the advent of 3rd person view now that we can see ourselves.   

1 hour ago, Wurmhole said:

If you consider the ethnicity of the earth, only a minority is represented in Wurm.  This has been brought up many times and we really aren't making progress.  Character models are super cheesy anyway, so isn't it time for an overhaul?  If you don't care about diversity for ethical reasons, you SHOULD care about it for economic reasons. 

A lot of people like to bond with their characters and they do so by customizing their appearance into something they can connect with.  If the models are based on graphics from 15 years ago and have minimal diversity, you are ignoring the majority of your potential player base.

Please get this on the roadmap.

Are you really suggesting that the world ignores gcg/ccab's game because they have no skin color variations?

Can you prove it with a graph with countries coming into the website and leaving fast, angry reviews on steam about character customization etc..

Sure the game is lacking in this department, but way more serious, old and lacking parts of the game are way ahead to be priorities...

Color pigmentation slider.. sure, who cares.. the few that bond with character.. will love to just go this or that variation to mimic RL or try something different.

IMO it's hard to bond to a character that is all the same to the rest of the others... there's not that big variety of customizations we can do, no scars, tattoos or birthmarks of w/e kind.. there's barely any fashion to stand out.. some of it is still only gm reward unobtainable in any other way.. or once upon a time event reward.. there are a few new helmets and shields, weapon' skins, but in the end you're still the basic model and you go bald or not based on what hat you wear.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who remembers them saying more skin colors and customization options in general was something they were adding immediately following NFI launch?

46 minutes ago, Synjor said:

Am I the only one who remembers them saying more skin colors and customization options in general was something they were adding immediately following NFI launch?

They have talked about it a few times. I don't remember a hard promise, but it might have been said.  Just simple color options should be pretty easy.  Need more hair choices, which I would think was also easy.  Actually looking like it isn't made out of 8 pixels will be the big overhaul.

51 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Are you really suggesting that the world ignores gcg/ccab's game because they have no skin color variations?

Can you prove it with a graph with countries coming into the website and leaving fast, angry reviews on steam about character customization etc..

No. But if they care about new user retention, it is probably something they should consider running some reports on.

• Like 1

I'm always +1 for more variety of decorations in this game, and this is, I think, a decoration, so yeah...+1

4 hours ago, Synjor said:

I remember the exact same thing. I've been wondering about it recently, weirdly enough.

To answer ur title of this post. Gaming in the future, we might need to take a picture of our real life self every second to keep updating the appearance in the game, it tracks ur face, body muscles. The way u look, smile and moves, u cant see the differences between u in RL and toons in game. Can u face urself?

Isn't there VR upcoming? With a microscope camera, lets zoom in to see how many good bacteria are on ur skin. If there are many bad bacteria, then u will be disconnected from the game, and do a treatment in RL to maintain a good health. If u are making  movies with these idea, reference me.🤭

2 hours ago, Coach said:

To answer ur title of this post. Gaming in the future, we might need to take a picture of our real life self every second to keep updating the appearance in the game, it tracks ur face, body muscles. The way u look, smile and moves, u cant see the differences between u in RL and toons in game. Can u face urself?

Isn't there VR upcoming? With a microscope camera, lets zoom in to see how many good bacteria are on ur skin. If there are many bad bacteria, then u will be disconnected from the game, and do a treatment in RL to maintain a good health. If u are making  movies with these idea, reference me.🤭

Wat

• Like 2

@ Archaed OP said the in game character model isn't enough for people to have some kind of connection with their RL appearance. What i think is capturing people's RL appearance into in game appearance will make people feel very connective. Because its almost the same. 

About the VR, because u can capture ur RL skin condition in the future with a specific camera, u can see ur skin condition through VR while playing games. So that it can reflect ur health.

The current character models are pretty ... fugly even with the best graphics turned on. Sadly mine looks like it has extra chromosones in it. Would love some deeper customization built in, skin tone, hair styles, height, body types, or even something deeper like your character actually looking more buff the higher your body strength is. 

I'd really love to see something among those lines. 

I'd support the idea of having multiracial characters. Part of me still chuckles at the idea that we won't be able to see the skin half of the time because most of us wear armor from head to toe :)). 

As for VR / making a character look like you, I think most of us actually built characters based on an ideal image, and not necesarily ourselves. I rarely if ever made a human in any RPG I've played for the simple reason most other races are more interesting than us :D Hell I'd make my character an ogre in Wurm if possible, just so I can be an Ogre coffee maker. 

• Like 2

I'd love to see a full on modernization of the avatar creation options, but trying to be realistic about what the team has the time and resources to do short term I don't hold my breath. However, the basic question of this thread is an easy one to solve, skin tones, and saying that is long over due now in 2022 is an understatement. I doubt anyone has a ton of data proving it can cause the loss of players and thus the loss of income, but it is something that I have personally witnessed, a new player leaving in a  very short time because  he did not have the option to have a character with dark skin and the reasons for this lack of options were not up to much really.

Plus a hundred basically.

• Like 3

+1 The more character customization options the better. Whatever they may be. No one wants to look like a carbon copy of everyone else. Players just want more options.

• Like 1

I'd rather see fantasy races added as options than a shade slider for a game you play in first person anyway.  I'm sure the devs will mess it up somehow either way.

Honestly if they update the player characters and ONLY add more skin tones I'll flip a table.

Every male looks like a n64 rendition of Todd from Breaking Bad, or Charles Manson

I'm the opposite of Yggdrasil -
If all they had time for was to add more skin tones I'd be thrilled.

I hadn't realized they didn't have any dark skin tones, and went to make an alt with dark skin.
I was shocked that there weren't at least 2 or 3 dark skin tones that are as old and odd looking as the lighter ones we currently have.

I'd be super happy if they just added 2-3 dark skin tones.  It seems like that would be the absolute easiest way for the development team to address the lack of diversity.

Give a volunteer dev a week or two (or month or two - I don't have a clue what the complexity of this change is) and tell them to figure out how to add the new dark tones to the UI. 

As a bonus - although not required - Maybe add a one time use iron mirror (vs the fancy gold one) for sale inexpensively at traders for a limited time that only allows switching your skin tone to one of the new shades, and maybe the hair color to a darker shade too.

Don't get me wrong - I'd absolutely LOVE to see an overhaul of the way the toons look - but in the mean time let's take care of this ridiculous oversight.

• Like 2

I thought I replied to this thread. I think that the last time I played we all played the same guy in a green hoodie. I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't make a darker skin character. I don't play in first person, so it would be nice to be able to customize more.

+1 it would be heaps cool to have some more character customization even if its only skin tones.

• Like 1

I look at it this way, it's a character its appearance do NOT reflect you, you're actions, attitude, social skills and what you do in game Reflect who you are.

If you get all butt hurt cause 'oh this avatar doesn't look like me' then more than likely you're gonna whine and moan and complain about  how long it takes to do something, or how slow skilling up is, or how your old azz decrepit horse just died.

Frankly, this game is better off without those kinds of people.

Like someone said above, what you only see yourself from the front anyways if you open your character panel, usually to heal wounds, or swivel your camera around to face yourself.

Hly fck, there are Worse things that happen in life than 'Oh i don't wanna play super mario brothers becaues i'm  not Italian and it stereotypes Italians.' W-T-F get a frigging grip on reality. 

Honestly this post doesn't even belong in the suggestion forum, belongs in wood scraps or general discussion.

• Like 2

There are hundreds of bugs that need fixing, current systems like caffeine and animal husbandry that have been added / broken in the last year that still don't have fixes. We have contest winners not getting paid after 7 months of the contest ending. So much that that needs to be done to fix the game and actually make it a more playable game, I don't agree that dev time should be invested in cosmetics such as this.

I feel the focus should be on things that will bring in new or retain current players. While not having these features is an outdated system, I don't feel that having it or not having it hurts or helps the game in any way. For every person that wants to make their avatar look like themselves, there is another player that wants to make theirs not look anything like they look. I'm all for it being in the game, but it should be way down the list of things to do. 

I will say that I do think the dev team has been doing much better these last few months with communication and getting fixes pushed, there is just such a back log of things that I feel are more important then this at the moment.

Happy Wurming

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gnomegates said:

There are hundreds of bugs that need fixing, current systems like caffeine and animal husbandry that have been added / broken in the last year that still don't have fixes. We have contest winners not getting paid after 7 months of the contest ending. So much that that needs to be done to fix the game and actually make it a more playable game, I don't agree that dev time should be invested in cosmetics such as this.

I feel the focus should be on things that will bring in new or retain current players. While not having these features is an outdated system, I don't feel that having it or not having it hurts or helps the game in any way. For every person that wants to make their avatar look like themselves, there is another player that wants to make theirs not look anything like they look. I'm all for it being in the game, but it should be way down the list of things to do. 

I will say that I do think the dev team has been doing much better these last few months with communication and getting fixes pushed, there is just such a back log of things that I feel are more important then this at the moment.

Happy Wurming

Racial diversity may not be important to you, but it's important to a lot of other people, it's not just cosmetics. 

• Like 6