Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

Glass and Alchemy

Come on WO, we've got this. It's time

Look at the fun they'll be having now on WU

Edited by MordosKull
  • Like 7

Glass should be made from ash, sand and salt, with possibly traces of other things to control the colour. As one of the very few people in the world with a degree in Science & Engineering of Glasses, I feel pretty strongly about that.

In the same way that a stone wall can be rendered, or a plain wall converted to/from a stone wall with wood trim, I think it should be possible to glaze windows.

Not too bothered either way about the whole alchemy part.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Glass should be made from ash, sand and salt, with possibly traces of other things to control the colour. As one of the very few people in the world with a degree in Science & Engineering of Glasses, I feel pretty strongly about that.

In the same way that a stone wall can be rendered, or a plain wall converted to/from a stone wall with wood trim, I think it should be possible to glaze windows.

Not too bothered either way about the whole alchemy part.

Interesting read! The quick research i did back then returned historical mix of glass was sand, ash and lime (Calcium Oxide?). Hence there was no lime i substituted for sandstone. I feel mixed about salt. its relatively hard to come by in quantities for new characters and the 17 Ash take long enough... How much salt would be realistic?

Edited by Arathok
wording

Been suggested a few times and would love to see both skills. Alchemy really needs some love and I'll shamelessly link to a suggestion I made related to alchemy a couple of years ago. 

I would really love to see an expanded alchemy system. Glassmaking would be ok too to make some sweet homes, but alchemy is where I'd love to see some action. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arathok said:

Interesting read! The quick research i did back then returned historical mix of glass was sand, ash and lime (Calcium Oxide?). Hence there was no lime i substituted for sandstone. I feel mixed about salt. its relatively hard to come by in quantities for new characters and the 17 Ash take long enough... How much salt would be realistic?

Salt is actually pretty easy to come by, just boil salt water in a cauldron to get 6 salt per 64kg of salt water. Ash is a bit more of a pain, though you could just spam campfires or clean your oven/forge regularly after using it. With higher skills coal piles are a good way to get some ash too.

I'd also love to see glass for windows and such, who wouldn't want new building options like that?

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ecrir said:

Salt is actually pretty easy to come by, just boil salt water in a cauldron to get 6 salt per 64kg of salt water. Ash is a bit more of a pain, though you could just spam campfires or clean your oven/forge regularly after using it. With higher skills coal piles are a good way to get some ash too.

I'd also love to see glass for windows and such, who wouldn't want new building options like that?

Oh true, somehow my mind always falls back to grinding rocksalt. Right, i will add salt into the mix as well. Question is how much?
Glass Composition, Glass Types (glassproperties.com)
according to this page about as same as ash by weight.

This page suggests a  16 Na2O + 10 CaO + 74 SiORatio

Edited by Arathok

Also would love to see glass. Another possible item, a vacuum tube for a barometer to help (estimate?) altitude above sea-level of the tile the barometer is on....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aerinwold said:

Also would love to see glass. Another possible item, a vacuum tube for a barometer to help (estimate?) altitude above sea-level of the tile the barometer is on....

Im stealing that idea :D 
Quellbild anzeigen