Sign in to follow this  
WuMing

My (Horse) Knows the Way Home

A "Home" command on the mount/vehicle pull-down menu that causes the mount or vehicle to return to its home deed.

Requirements:

1. applies only to hitch-able animals (horse, bison, unicorn), but can be used mounted, hitched, or standing on the ground

2. mounts/teams must be branded

3. husbandry (or other skills) level 30+

4. 24 hour cool-down per animal

4.1 attempted early repeat will fail and trigger "(animal) is too tired" message

Limitations/Features:

1. cannot disembark during return to "home" deed

2. driver/passenger(s) need not be mounted/on-board

3. mount/vehicle will not stop until arriving at "home" deed

3.1 this limitation prevents players from misusing this feature to get "un-lost"

4. driver/passenger(s) can be attacked en route (same as current travel events) by mobs or pvp

4.1 driver/passenger(s) may be knocked from mount/vehicle, if hit hard enough (see Limitations/Features 2. and 3.)

Implementation:

Uses current NPC AI pathing to return to deed of branding; may use roads and highways, but may not be limited to roads or highways exclussively.

This could present increased risk or danger (same as current travel conditions), should the mount/vehicle team be "bushwhacking" back to its "home" deed.

(please contact me (WuMing) with questions or further development of this idea)

the not being able to disembark limitation is probably too much as you can easily be killed by trolls returning home, especially if it would prioritise highways as they speed up on roads.

I personally don't like the suggestion because people should learn how to navigate properly but not gonna vote down it.

the animal husbandry requirement makes sense for this feature, not sure if it would better suite taming or not.

24hr cooldown per animal makes sense, but you could chain this with creature transporters for automated travel so that might need to be limited.

other than that, the A.I for it on the highways is atleast there with waggoneers but wurms spaghetti code may make it hard to implement. 

Why?

Just go and get it, why automate it?

I can't really think of a reason besides "I got summoned back to my deed by a priest and I want my horse to come with me"

22 hours ago, envoh said:

I personally don't like the suggestion because people should learn how to navigate properly but not gonna vote down it.

Not everyone has this skill, i HAVE to use GPS in real life too, otherwise i get lost all the time. Navigation isn't an "easy" thing. 

the disembark limitation i agree with on both sides. Trolls in game can catch a player on a highway, yet it definitely doesn't need misused.  

20 hours ago, Timoca said:

Why?

Just go and get it, why automate it?

I can't really think of a reason besides "I got summoned back to my deed by a priest and I want my horse to come with me"

the "oh crap, RL has a hiccup, i have to leave the game" command? there have been MANY a time i would have used it cause of RL taking hold. 

im going to +1 this, but not only for me. i know of multiple other players that would cry happy tears for a thing like this.

22 hours ago, WuMing said:

2. mounts/teams must be branded

i would say Teams must be hitched, but probably goes without saying

Edited by Tomatoes
Final thoughts

Meh, it seems like you're introducing self-driving automobiles to the world of 1100 AD, when we just got those in a very limited sense this past year IRL. -1

• Like 2

You might need to think about what happens if the driver or passenger logs out, or worse still, loses connection (which happens to me a lot).  Does the horse stay put or does it keep going leaving me stranded when I log on? :)

Otherwise, you can definitely have some fun fleshing out this idea. :) 

This seems to be at odds with the wurm ethos of no unattended gameplay.

It sounds like it might be nice for players who just finished a rift battle or whatever, and just want to get home at 2am, but honestly we might be better off considering a more expensive version of the town portal spell that includes your horse or vehicle.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:01 PM, WuMing said:

Implementation:

Uses current NPC AI pathing to return to deed of branding; may use roads and highways, but may not be limited to roads or highways exclussively.

Never going to happen. Have you seen AI pathing? :D

I think, if you're going out on a cart or wagon, you must take into account the trip back. With the examples of rift or slaying ending late - you just log out and return the next day. I've done it, and it always works. :)

My view of any kind of automated travel - your character is played by you, and you alone, and should not be turned into part time NPC.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 8:34 PM, Sheffie said:

It sounds like it might be nice for players who just finished a rift battle or whatever, and just want to get home at 2am, but honestly we might be better off considering a more expensive version of the town portal spell that includes your horse or vehicle.

Pretty much this. 

Town portal costs 1000 karma which can be earned through a couple of missions. Just add 2 different spells of town portal : Town portal (with mount) and Town portal (with vehicle, such as a cart). You can up the cost for them to 2k karma and 3 karma respectively. 

Personally after you get to  know a certain server and its highways, travelling becomes just a chore. I would be ok with either version, aka navigating via highway system or just teleporting home with your horse. 

But i think from the dev perspective, it would probably be way easier to teleport a player with a horse than write the code necessary to figure out complex ai pathing while checking for deed presence along the way, locked gates, slopes over 40 inclination, obstacles such as lakes or trenches, random open mines in the way, thorn bushes (those things can easily kill anyone),  lava, olive forests (ever afk ride through one and got stuck in a tree? :)) ) , etc. 

• Like 1

I am mostly against this idea.

At most I could see some room for a feature like this, whereby the waystone route system is used, can only go to your home deed, and once started does not stop.  You would effectively be a passenger, not commander, of the vehicle, and would have to live with the chance of whatever may happen on the way.  If you log off, or drop out, tough.  Even this I see as a bit too much "afk automation" for Wurm.

I would say, if you have too far to go in the current session; set up camp and resume the journey next time.   (https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/175723-camping-suggestion-make-camp/&tab=comments#comment-1786946