Sign in to follow this  
Muse

QoL: Rename the SEND button.

How many times do you go to COD an item, and mean to go to the second page to enter the cost, but suddenly stop short with your mouse over the SEND button?  "I'm not ready to send my item!" you say to yourself, even though you know from experience that it just brings up the next page.  How much more confusing for the new player using the COD system for the first time?

The SEND button dates from a time when the system was designed by programmers who were perhaps thinking in terms of the button's function - which is to 'send' data to the server.  Time's moved on, and I think that there are new 'non-techie' players now who don't ask to be reminded of this. It's also about our immersion in the game world.  In my opinion, a simple 'OK' or "Continue" or 'Next' might be far more intuitive, and cause a lot less confusion - especially when going to the 2nd/COD page before sending mail.  

Yes the button does 'send' data, it's not inaccurate, but nowadays I feel this function should be transparent to the majority of players who just want to play. It's too easy to see something like this for years, until we 'adopt' it, and start to forget our fellow players don't all have a coding background.

What do you think?  Perhaps people could please add their thoughts on this - and what they feel the button text should say in different circumstances, to help the Devs decide whether or not to make changes to the SEND buttons.

• Like 11

but then what happens when you dont check cod and there is no second screen? wouldnt it be bad if it said "next" or "ok"?

why do you think "send" has anything to do with coding? you send packages in the mail.

2 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

but then what happens when you dont check cod and there is no second screen

Thanks for your input.  :)

There is always a second screen, except when you check the "Check this if you don't wish to go to the next screen"  checkbox.

So in the default case, unless this box is checked, "Send" does not send any mail.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's made me pause more than a few times. "Next" "Continue" or "OK" would all be less confusing. There's always the second screen, unless you click that "don't go to the second screen" button. That second screen is where you put in the price (if CoD) or confirm that you are paying the mail costs if it's not CoD, and that button is rightly labeled "Send." 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

but then what happens when you dont check cod and there is no second screen? wouldnt it be bad if it said "next" or "ok"?

why do you think "send" has anything to do with coding? you send packages in the mail.

A simple fix, put everything all on the same screen, but keep parts grayed out, until you check or uncheck a box to complete said section(s). Then simply hit "Send" :)

But yeah, I think that menu has needed a new look for a while now, I totally agree with OP, it was confusing at first, and I felt like I was taking a risk hitting send before the next screen.

Edited by Red_
Quote went wonky
  • Like 1

im all for making those menus better but i think there is nothing wrong with the last screen of the new system to say "send".

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 2

Update:  Here is an example of the system at its worst:  Receiving an item.  How does the new player know that he is not sending the item back, when the accept button says "Send"?  Just seen a player ask this very question in CA_Help today.

UVIQml7.jpg?2

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 3:37 AM, Tpikol said:

Because "send" appears in most of these boxes, which have nothing to do with mail at all.  I have always assumed it is a coding POV kind of thing, where the button was just put in with its basic function as a name and nobody ever went back and "finished" the button.

It should be "finished";  "Okay", "next", "continue", "confirm", would all work.  "Next" or "Continue" might need to be context sensitive, though, so appear on intermediate screens but not the final, and therefore might need additional code.

The location of this button "is also inconsistent, but maybe that is a QoL fix for another day.

• Like 1

On one hand, I kind of like the antiquated throwback to old days with a "send" button. On the other hand, it can definitely be confusing to people like my gf who is new to Wurm and generally unfamiliar with what "send" historically meant in programs. She's asked me quite a few times if it means "ok" or "submit" and wanted reassurance it was the right button to hit.

+1 I too have hesitated with the "Send" option even knowing where it leads yet in my mind "Send" means send it out not continue to the next page. So yes changing it to "Continue" would be so much better. And yes new players are definitely confused by the "Send".

• Like 1

I found it very confusing when I was new. And quite overwhelmed. +1

Agreed. Other dialogs (such as sleeping in a bed) probably also shouldn't have their button called Send

i dont know if i just got used to it and forgot about it but i had to check other things to see what does or doesn't say send and it may not be too bad for mail but its really bad for other things. like sleeping in a bed.

+1
I really hope this is an easy change for a dev who can either just change a single text string somewhere, or do a semi-easy search and replace.
"Send" isn't standard English for a button that submits data to a server.
I would vote for "Submit".  It's equally geeky, equally non-context sensitive, but nobody is going to be confused by it.
When I started playing Wurm the "Send" button confused me in every dialog I saw it in.  And I was a software developer myself for 20 years.

• Like 1