Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

let us toggle snow please.

you do it with the Halloween textures, why not do it with snow?

just in case devs are just not aware of it, this what winter in wurm looks like on low settings.

OP20CDL.png

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

+1 from me. I have to turn down brightness settings to avoid going snow blind.

Whats next be able to toggle day/night cycle? Snow is a part of wurm -1

• Like 1

pointless to ask... snow was fixed to not be that blinding... screenshot seems cooked... lower your brightness.. it seems + over default, if it's too blinding on your screen - you must have some kind of high brightness or be monitor specific... it's much more tolerable.. compared to what we had before.. it's only for a week or well few days less actually... you can manage with a lower brightness, if I'm wrong you can provide w/e hw/software configuration and prove a point that certain brand and configuration for the client is actually making it unplayable and blinding.. otherwise.. it's imo pointless to suggest this

good luck

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Stinboi said:

Whats next be able to toggle day/night cycle? Snow is a part of wurm -1

snow on winter wasnt part of wurm when i started playing, and everybody was happy with it not existing then.

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

pointless to ask... snow was fixed to not be that blinding... screenshot seems cooked... lower your brightness.. it seems + over default, if it's too blinding on your screen - you must have some kind of high brightness or be monitor specific... it's much more tolerable.. compared to what we had before.. i

maybe they fixed it for the modern rendered, i wouldnt know because i never had a computer that could use it. this is how it looks with -0.4 brightness.

wi2YTEs.png

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

screenshot seems cooked

11 hours ago, Rockmodd said:

I have to turn down brightness settings to avoid going snow blind.

10 hours ago, KillerSpike said:

I hate the bright winter

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

I totally understand why some people do not like snow in Wurm due to various reasons / needs but I love it and would even like to see additional snow days over Christmas to add to the festivities!

To return to the suggestion from Tpikol,  I would have no problems with being able to toggle snow if that was made possible.

I personally love the winter graphics and always have, it makes it so easy to see so many things I don't normally see in high grass lol. I'd also be happy to have it turn up as part of the special season for Christmas time like we get for Halloween, just a few extra days since winter in wurm doesn't always match rl holiday time. BUT having said that, I know lots of folks struggle with it and would no problem at all if it became something that they were able to toggle off like the halloween stuff.

• Like 1

maybe you should have started with that... old renderer needs some love for w/e patch/setting was applied to it to not blind people with the snow some time ago.... if there's difference between same settings and brightness for snow, that's easily bug-report and have better chance for implementation compared to the thousands of suggestions, but.. since I'm lazy, if anybody feels like it.. perfect time to test it and pop a bug report or add to this thread(I'll pass, lazy to restart client with the settings) 

I would like have an option to choose eternal spring, green just look best at that time.

I don't know whether this is of any help, but there is a texture appearing after server crossing (or game server forced reconnect), which is considerably less "whitish":

6cAjdFp.jpg

It might be offered as an official choice to toggle if "winter haters" can live better with. Can't tell as I like winter as it is but I understand the complaints. When there is bright sunlight (Wurm morning to early afternoon) I sometimes also find it a bit too bright but I love  the winter landscapes, and find gathering arrows in winter very convenient 😎.

Edited by Ekcin

Toggling snow just sounds wrong since It's part of the actual game and not an event like Halloween.  Just needs to be improved.  I do wish they would make the half/spring half/snow look be permanent like Ekcin screenshot above since it looks better than full/snow.  I've always liked the transition when lucky enough to see it from server crossing.  Too bad seasons don't have more in-game manipulation other than beehives.  Don't want anything complicated though like having to wear winter clothing.

If Toggling snow is a step to far what about being able to clear snow from paths with Collect Snow, so it actually removes it from that tile.

I can live with the snow but it does make the game look very bland, the other months are so colourful and nice in comparison.

-1  Completely disagree with this suggestion.  

Winter is part of the Wurm seasonal cycle and belongs in the game, without being toggled on/off.  If you find it too bright, lower your brightness. 

I live in Canada and hate winter, so when the winter season comes to Wurm, I move underground and work on mining.  No snow or brightness underground.

22 minutes ago, Tukodama said:

-1  Completely disagree with this suggestion.  

Winter is part of the Wurm seasonal cycle and belongs in the game, without being toggled on/off.  If you find it too bright, lower your brightness. 

I live in Canada and hate winter, so when the winter season comes to Wurm, I move underground and work on mining.  No snow or brightness underground.

if nothing could ever be changed wurm wouldnt have winter, it didnt have it when i started playing. then it changed, it could change again.

i have walked in fog that doesn't let you see your own feet in real life but i understand why that bothered other people in wurm.

Edited by Tpikol

I find snow to be mostly a pain on my eyes with all the white, and it's particularly harsh when doing terraforming or surface mining as I'm looking at the ground so the whole screen is just white. While I see validity in the arguments that it's a part of Wurm and not specific to a RL holiday like the Halloween graphics, I do wish it wasn't so monochromatic. Given a choice, I'd toggle it off after a day or two, probably after collecting snowballs. Would probably be too much effort for the devs, but what I'd like to see is variation over time in the amount of snow cover, with the first day seeing a light dusting of snow, the 2nd and 3rd days having the full snow like it is now, and then the 4th and 5th day having the snow begin to dull and become more patchy. It would be ideal to have each tile's graphics tied into the collectibility of snowballs, where if there isn't enough snow to collect balls there isn't as much visible snow, and those tiles with collectible snow having the full snow look. That would be ideal. There's a similar graphic in use with grass, with the models for short, medium, tall and wild grasses having a different look.

I support toggling snow because I happen to know at least one player who gets severe migraines and cant/doesn't play when it's winter because of the snow. I fully support this option for that reason alone. On another point it's just graphical the snow doesn't actually benefit or cause any effects beyond snowballs so I say give us the option to toggle it.

• Like 1

The arguments against this seem to boil down to either "I suffer through it with my own workarounds and everybody else should, too!" or "It's not tied to a RL event, therefore it's the game - like it or leave it!" or even "It's a slippery slope! By next year we'll be able to configure permanent day!"

They're all pretty weak arguments compared to "I have chronic migraines and can't play with these settings" or "It's so bright I can't see." or even "It looks horrible in the old renderer vs the new"

Playability should trump aesthetics, and it should certainly trump the goofy "I learned to suffer through it, so should you." mentalities on display.

So, +1 from me. Not that that means anything.

To me it is quite simple. Give us the option. If you want it on, keep it on, if you don't switch it off. No reason to "fight" with those who don't like it

• Like 5

+1 I'm actually a fan of snowy winters but that being said snow blindness in wurm definitely exists and it is hard on the eyes. It often makes finding roads very difficult at times. Giving players the option to toggle it off or at least darken it somehow would be awesome.

Seriously guys, What would u do in RL when winter come? Wearing a sunglasses. Don't tell me u cant make one when we have a spyglass. Suggest to create a sunglasses in game so that it can lower the brightness. Of course its an item created by player with skill. Time to call my ophthalmologist. Bye. Again variety, u can choose to wear or not wear. Sandbox game duh? 😎

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aleck said:

Playability should trump aesthetics, and it should certainly trump the goofy "I learned to suffer through it, so should you." mentalities on display.

Please have a coffee and a cookie from me good sir. 

Right now I'm trying to do some deed terraforming and it's a pain because I really don't know how the place will look (considering there is rocky area nearby grasslands) and the snow is kinda making everything uniform. Yeah I know I can portal over to Epic and back to "force" the graphics to shift so I see grass over snow. It just seems a workaround that can easily be solved by a toggle button.