Sign in to follow this  
Blacklotus

Rebalance Moments of Inspiration

So maybe this is just me but I often find myself crafting, making bricks, imping tools and no moments of inspiration. The second I start farming I get multiple MOI in a row with no real benefit.

I suggest a rebalance to the MOI system that would work based less on wildly random RNG and more about the actions your doing. As it sits, building houses doesn't invoke MOI's but it is strongly biased towards resources, felled trees and the like and strongly discourages crafted items for this very minor upgrade.

How the new MOI would work is that every time you get an MOI farming or mining or anything really you get points towards converting one item of choice to a rare, supreme or fantastic version of an item at varying cost in points.

Each moI would still generate 1 2 or 3 points based on if the MOI would have made a rare, supreme or fantastic item, after collecting say 20, you get a rare of your choice, 65 a supreme of your choice and 125 for a fantastic of your choice. (numbers not necessarily have to be those but you get the idea)

The benefits of this is you wouldn't be mass producing items to get a rare, or worry about raring something you don't want to. You would have some level of control over your MOI for that rare oven, or rare tool etc. The problem is that you wouldn't get rare logs, or rare coffee beans or rare dirts at random..

Less random junk rares, more impactful rares is my suggestion!

Just my MOI for the day, Thanks for reading.

Edited by Blacklotus
  • Like 1

I think there are 2 rarity systems.  One for creating/imping actions and one for all other actions like farming, foraging, combat, etc.  Same for me too though.  Few hours of imping and no rolls, but go make a shaft or farm a tile and insta rare.

• Like 1

I feel your pain with regards to MOI in farming but I do get the occasional rare when crafting. 

I would not want rares to become 'common' but I do find your idea intriguing.

I know that many create good coin by making / selling rares. I wonder if your idea would indirectly stifle that market?

I also wonder if the incidence of MOI varies substantially depending on whether you are creating a barrel (higher?) or something like a leatherworking knife (lower?) or whether we have simply been unlucky with the 'roll of the dice'.

• Like 1

I do agree that we do not necessarily need MOIs for farming or for bandaging for that matter. I always find myself groaning when that happens. It would certainly be much better to have more MOIs in crafting. And it does seem that the MOIs are based on quantity produced, thus more MOIs are generated for mats as apposed to crafted items. However I'm not sure about this solution since as it stands each MOI has the chance of creating a rare, so if lucky, you get 20 rares from 20 MOIs or even at a 50% success rate you would still get 10 rares from 20 MOIS, any one of which could be a supreme and even possibly a fantastic. but with this suggestion you would need 20 MOIs just to get 1 rare. That seems like quite a drop in the odds.

Thats a very good point Katrat. It could be that each MoI gave a random number of points, Its true it would reduce the overall number of rares but being able to rare, supreme or even fantastic the items of your choice instead of random grinding hundreds of items for one seems more fun to me, it would also in theory increase the number of supreme and fantastic items produced as a counterpoint.

lol... errghh...

a-huh.. huh..

yea....

Well, if current system is cheesed and farmed by bunch so far.. and it's proven to be bad... because it's easy to just clap items every x seconds with a 10sec rarity bonus.. journal perk and some fo luck, well.. how does this improve anything?

It just cheeses it additionally, while this solves rare/supreme-ing random items for anyone selling item QL improvements.. it's just making rare items irrelevant unless you want to be cheap and not get that next supreme again..

This also makes supremes common, nothing left to chances, it's just a wallet of moi currency.. and alts farming until they get to paycheck for next supreme to sell... common use with such system.. while you and all other casuals* will just barely get one.. once in a WHILE.

*(unless you have 10 alts clapping stuff all day to catch pokemon mois for this wallet farm.. join the casual club with people who do not do that metagaming)

Finn, if the current system is so "cheese-able", how come there are people out there complaining that the MOI system isnt giving them any? Being as you know how the current system can be cheesed, im also pretty sure you could, if you so wanted, come up with either some sort of an idea for a fix, or a proper replacement. We get that the system needs help, that is why we are here.

Edited by Tomatoes

Disappointing rares - I think there are rares that make us smile and rares that make us groan.  Surely all rares should make us smile?  Let's take out the unsatisfying rare chances such as farming and bandaging as mentioned and add or roll over those chances to the actions that matter, actions that produce something of worth and create value.   

As for rares on demand - we can't really choose the exact timing for any particular type of rare we want, and I think that is right and proper, but MOI can only happen after we decide to perform an action and we do have a choice over which actions to perform and how long to perform them.   You can control and restrict which rares you get, if you control and restrict your gameplay. 

The argument is, should people who play the game normally or casually, be punished with disappointing and unproductive rare rolls?

• Like 1

I hate farming moi. I have a whole pile of rare peat. Can't even fuel my stills with it because it's rare. Any change to these useless moi would be appreciated. That said I don't think they would ever give us selective rare rolls like suggested sadly.

11 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

Thats a very good point Katrat. It could be that each MoI gave a random number of points, Its true it would reduce the overall number of rares but being able to rare, supreme or even fantastic the items of your choice instead of random grinding hundreds of items for one seems more fun to me, it would also in theory increase the number of supreme and fantastic items produced as a counterpoint.

It's true the odds for a fantastic are more than extreme but that can be changed with a better RNG balance. As for the pick and choose I know most player would probably love that but I have to say on some things I like the mystery.

If you want to preserve the "rarity" of current rares to an extent rather than points wouldn't it be better to accumulate rolls, so instead of a chance of an item going rare you get a point to use on a future action of your choosing. The difficulty is that it would likely devalue the value of plain rares as it becomes easier to choose rares and would make it significantly easier to turn uncommon items rare, like moon metal items, which would significantly reduce the value of bones. Otherwise you  could head down the route of a saved up moi could be used to give you 1 hour of an increased chance of an moi so you could attempt to get one doing something you want. You do have to be very careful with the levers on all of this to not make rares no longer rare.

Well MOIs have the mechanical problem of triggering on all actions and being true random. True Randomness is something you mostly avoid in game designed in some forms since it lead to frustrating thanks to streaks of unluck and the occurrence when it’s not really necessary and just be a tone down version of the excitement you hope to create with the event.

Rares are not to impactful but a nice goal to get but also really unreliable. I think most of us never head a fantastic ever in their inventory while supreme at least seem to happen from time to time. But it’s nothing you can "work" towards in a real way.

I think the best way of rebalancing it would be a form of "Pity" system. If I remember right rare window is a random roll to X (i think it was 6000?) every second and if it’s a 1 it open the rare window and the first action in this window triggering the MOI.

So a easy way to make rares more "controllable" would be for example to lower for every action that is not a MOI the max you role against. This would lead to a increases in chance to get a MOI with every action and lead to a higher chance when focusing on single task while don´t effect gameplay when doing mixed tasks.

Seconds and this is debatable I would say a rare item need to store the missed MOIs for a improvement of its rarity. So a lot of MOIs on your rare item will increase the chance to jump to supreme eventually. This will increase the amount of supremes and even fantastic in the world but if carefully balanced not by much. But it shuld help long time players on the hunt for this elusive items.