Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Wurm, the casual way

LPNuVSf.png

Ten months ago I died and I subsequently quit the game swearing to never come back.

However, it seems that all those memes from GL-Freedom are actually true and one can never really quit playing Wurm, but just take a break, so here I am, ten months later returning to the game.

Many things changed in my life during this time frame and I'm now in a much better place than I was back then, so I honestly hope this time I can find that balance to allow me to fully enjoy the game.

And since I'm back I decided to once again start sharing my adventures in this wonderful realm. As before, I know they're not impressing in any way and that pretty much everyone playing this game seriously is waaaaay ahead of me, but I still want to do it in order to show other new and casual players, that are just starting out, that they too can find their way and have fun within the Wurm universe, even if they're time constrained and can't afford the luxury of spending hours after hours in an online game.

So yeah. "I'm back. Did you miss me, bitches? -- A"

Obviously the "bitches" part is just a joke / pop culture reference and I'm not actually calling you that. Also, I don't necessarily expect anyone to remember my short presence here, but more likely to just greet me with a "Sorry? Who do you say you are?". Still I found it a funny joke. But if it bothers you or you think it crosses a line, please let me know and I'll gladly remove the reference.

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 11

Some background info and early decisions

1. Being such a complex and awesome game, Wurm can easily become addictive and since I always strive to stay in control of my time and maintain a healthy balance between the different aspects of my life, I decided from very early on that it's very important for me to set some limits for my play time, so I can be sure that I don't let the game interfere with the other parts of my (real) life. The last time I was here I played around with quite a few different time quotas here, but in the end I decided to stick with the one that makes most sense to me - play for as long (and only for as long) as I have sleep bonus that I can use, which would probably average to a bit over one hour per day, with the occasional weekend splurge after a global cast or something, but, anyway, I doubt that I'll ever cross the 60 hours per month mark.

2. As a student, working a part-time job, money are always tight, but I know that time is even a scarcer commodity for me, so I realized that trying to play the game as a F2P player would simply not work out well. I definitely don't say that it is impossible and I got to meet a few people that succeeded in game as F2P players, but in order to achieve that you need to be able to invest a lot of time in the game, much more than I could ever dream to. That's why, when I returned (luckily enough it was right during Black Friday sale) I purchased the one year subscription package (for which I paid 47,03€) and the 50 silvers package (for which I paid 37,49€), which together with the coins that I got from selling my sleep powders (24 silver) were enough to also cover my deed upkeep for one year (despite having a rather large deed with an upkeep close to 6 silver coins per month). That set me for a whole year, and if I add them up I come to a total of 84,52€, which I think is more than reasonable for a year worth of entertainment (it translates to about 7 euros per month, which is probably lower than the cost of any subscription based MMO). 

3. Initially, I decided to stick with a small 21x23 (483 tiles) size for my deed, without a guard, since the setup cost was lower than the five silvers which were included in the initial package (exact price was 4s 83c, which included the first three months of upkeep) and the monthly upkeep cost was as close as possible, yet still below the minimum cost of one silver per month (any deed smaller than this would still cost one silver, so there wouldn't be any savings, so  basically no reason for going smaller). Eventually though, my perfect spot, at which I've dreamed since day one, became available (more details about that later) and I simply couldn't let the opportunity pass me, so I overextended "a bit". Yet, even so, as I just said in the previous point, since I took advantage of the Black Friday sale, I managed to keep my total cost for both the premium membership and the deed upkeep at about 7 euros, which is probably lower than the cost of any subscription based MMO.

4. I made sure that I understood (and accepted) that there are a lot of people willing to invest much more in Wurm than me, both in terms of time and money and there's no way I could even dream to compete with them. That's why I decided to not even try to compare myself with anyone else, but just focus on my own place, on my own story and on my own progress, done at a pace that I'm comfortable with, and simply don't care how fast or how slow the other people are progressing. And, if you're a casual player, that's the single most important advice I can give you: hike you own hike and don't compare yourself with other players, because, comparison really is the thief of joy; and if anyone else tries to tell you how you should play the game, simply tell them to BEEP OFF - it's your time and your money and you can approach the game in any way you want; as long as you're having fun out of it, you're winning it!

My deed

I decided that, despite the many inherent disadvantages, I'd really like to have a private island all for myself... ideally one that is neither too big (because I wanted to keep in control both costs and required time to maintain it), neither too small (so I don't have to keep travelling back and forth to the mainland), somehow close to the server edge, with at least some rock layer and, if possible, with some clay tiles. And ever since day one, when I first saw Melody's map I totally fall in love with the small island at K25 - it was everything I could have dreamed and some more, but unfortunately, I was beaten on the land race grab race, so I could only congratulate the owners and keep searching. Eventually I found another place to call home, but my heart was still on that island and I kept checking on it and saving coins hoping that one day it would come on the market and I could afford to buy it. And, surprisingly, one happy day, my prayers were answered, the deed went for sale and I was able to grab it and ever since I'm really living my dream on my own little personal paradise. Then, once again, I was lucky that by the time I got back from the dead, I was able to get back my deed and continue from where I left.

If you want to pay me a visit you're more than welcome and I'm always happy to have guests, but if you just want to take a sneak peak, here's the current deed planner export: https://imgur.com/a/NHotoHJ

My play style

While I definitely don't recommend this play style to other people, I decided to set some extra challenges for myself to make the game more interesting and increase immersion. I should probably not even mention the fact that I dropped all the starting tools and started from scratch, since that was represented just a minor delay, but just focus on the two big limitations that I set for myself: to never use any enchants, runes or items that I haven't gathered, crafted and improved myself and to play in a semi-permadeath mode (since I did died and I eventually returned I can't really call it permadeath mode anymore). And the solution I found is that every time from now on if (or better said when) I'll die, I will have to buy myself a golden mirror and resurrect as "someone new". And since it does cost 15 silver coins per resurrection, if I'll run out of coins I'll be forced to take a break from the game 'till I make some more money IRL to afford to buy some more favor with the Gods.

Talking about the distribution of my play time, I realized (only after it became a burden that almost made me quit the game) that they key to make any (meaningful) progress as a casual player with limited play time is to try to minimize the time spent on daily chores as much as possible (so produce only what I actually need, not start hoarding things just for the sake of hoarding) and to not spread my resources too thin, but instead try to focus them on one mini-project at a time (which should be doable in less than a month) and only switch to a new one once the first one is completed. This way I should be able to keep reaching mini goals/milestone on a regular basis, which would give me a constant constant sense of achievement and allow me to build towards bigger projects over time and if I'll look back I'll can always see a clear timeline, like "December was the month when I worked on building my harbor".

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 4

In order to be able to track any progress, I should probably start by mentioning here what's the point I'm restarting from, so here's the snapshot from today, after exactly 25 days of /playtime.

What I have achieved so far

- Managed to set my deed on the spot that I dreamed at ever since day one.

- Built four guard towers on the corners of my deed (and one more on the old deed), so I can keep the predators at bay.

- Crafted a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one. (unfortunately that one got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows so I'll have to recraft it)

- Crafted a set of leather armor and a weapon so I no longer walk around in undergarments. (unfortunately that one got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows so I'll have to recraft it)

- Built a small shed, with a bed inside, so I can start getting sleep bonus.

- Joined a religion (so I can enjoy follower bonuses), made an altar, and leveled my faith to 30.

- Started to meditate, joined Path of Love and reached level ten, then switched to Path of Knowledge where I'm on level eight right now.

- Got to 21 body control (so I can ride horses), 23 body strength (so I can load items) and 30 mind logic (so I can queue three actions instead of two).

- Also got to 30 body strength so I'll no longer be a leacher if I'll attend any more dragons slayings (although this will probably not happen again since all the travel takes too much time for a casual player).

- Crafted a small sailing boat, a rowboat and three large carts (one fully equipped with rafts and another one fully equipped with large crates) so I can move freely across the map. (unfortunately the crates got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows so I'll have to recraft them)

- Crafted a corbita and load it with about 30 large crates (so I left space for a BSB, a FSB and a few rafts) so I can carry bulk goods across the map. (unfortunately the crates got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows so I'll have to recraft them)

- Crafted quite a few FSBs and BSBs (about 30 totally), as well as some large crates to store my mats (sorting them based on ql already).

- Crafted a forge (so I can smelt my ores), an oven (so I can cook my meals), two larders (so I can store my food) and three bee hive (to capture the bees from a wild hive found on my deed).

- Crafted a spirit castle and had a friend come over and enchant it.

- Found two pairs of wild horses and resumed my horse breeding project. (unfortunately pretty much all horses died or got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows so I'll have to start over again)
- Found a dog, tame it, so I now have a loyal companion to follow me around my deed.

- improved my items as much as I was able to based on my mats ql (that was about 30 ql for wood and cloth items, 20 ql for leather items, 10 ql for stone items and, please don't laugh, 5 ql for iron items) and I plan to eventually improve them all to 30+. (since unfortunately many of the items got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows that's on hold for now 'tlll I manage to recraft them)

Characteristics and relevant skills

Characteristics (all of them):

- Mind: 28.68
--- Mind logic: 35.56
--- Mind speed: 20.78
- Soul: 25.12
--- Soul depth: 28.56
--- Soul strength: 23.56
- Body: 34.65
--- Body strength: 32.93
--- Body stamina: 29.05
--- Body control: 27.27

Skills (all those above 30):

- Climbing: 37.35
- Pottery: 31.03
Mining: 50.28

- Digging: 84.41
- Tailoring: N/A
--- Cloth tailoring: 32.74

- Masonry: 54.65

- Nature: 53.22

--- Gardening: 50.54

--- Foraging: 55.11

--- Botanizing: 46.56

--- Farming: 36.46
--- Meditating: 69.88
--- Animal husbandry: 51.76

- Fighting: N/A

--- Aggressive fighting: 40.60
- Miscellaneous items: 59.13
--- Shovel: 62.14
--- Pickaxe: 53.46

--- Repairing: 54.22

--- Hammer: 30.05

- Axes: 37.79

--- Hatchet: 35.20
- Knives: N/A
--- Butchering knife: 30.46

- Woodcutting: 57.12
- Carpentry: 70.41

--- Fine carpentry: 36.45

--- Ship building: 34.50

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://imgur.com/a/NHotoHJ

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 2

MOST RECENT REPORT - February 3th, 2022

[15:11:40] You have played 30 days, 0 hours and 0 minutes.

So here I am, at my ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY and here's a new (and probably final) activity report.

What's new

Main objective: I finally managed to reach that long desired level 11 on the Path of Knowledge, so starting now all my skill gains (except fighting) will be increased with 25%. It was a big goal of mine and finally reaching it does indeed feel like a big achievement.

Other objectives:

- Took events in two public events (one on Melody and one on Harmony), and since the travel took a lot of time and I almost got lost, I took the decision to establish two tiny deeds (minimal size ones, 1s per month upkeep cost) both on Cadence and Harmony, right across from me, so in the future travelling to those servers will be a five minutes business and when I'll eventually get to level 12 on the Path of Knowledge (which requires 80 meditation skill) I'll have a fast away to travel to all events (cross to the server where it takes place, asking a nice priest already at the event for a summon, then, once it's done Recall Home and just cross back home). Theoretically I could already do that using karma teleport, but unfortunately karma is not an infinite resource, so doing my best to push for that 80 meditation skill level.
- As I said in my previous post, I eventually dropped bisons from my small breeding project, but the horses and donkeys ones are going decently fine. I have four pairs of wild horse and three born foals (unfortunately all born only with miscellaneous traits) and on the donkeys I already replaced seven out of the eight wild ones with own foals, and I already managed to get a male that has one draft trait and a female that has on speed and one draft trait (rest of them only have miscellaneous traits). Nothing impressing, but making progresses.
- Also on the animal husbandry front, I managed to raise my skill over 55, which means not only that I can now see all traits (requires 53 skill), but that (in theory) I could get animals with four speed traits (20+15+10+10=55) or with the three useful draft traits (20+20+15=55). Next milestone 65 skill, so I can (in theory) get animals with four draft traits too.

- I also continued what I started last month and managed to replace most (if not all) of my tools and improve them to 35+ QL (it was a real challenge finding a marble vein for improving my baking stone and mortal and pestle, but other than that it was a relatively smooth ride that also gave me nice skill gains.
- Dredged some of the mess in my north perimeter, then used the gather dirt to raise 23 new tiles of land out of the water; still a long way to go, but again, at least some progress is made.
- I achieved one more milestone regarding characteristics and body control is now above 30 (31.12).
- Talking about skill gains, I finally managed to go over skill level 30 in fighting, and together with my (slightly) improved weapon, I can actually start to be able to hold my own against many mobs (like wolves, bears, crabs, spiders and even the occasional crocodiles or turtles) which definitely feels nice. :D

Probably there were a few other (small) achievements, but that's the one I noted down.

Also, in terms of skill gains milestones, here are the ones worth mentioning:

- Got to characteristic level 30 in body control

- Got to skill level 50 in archaeology
- Got to skill level 40 in restoration
- Got to skill level 40 in fine carpentry
- Got to skill level 30 in stone cutting
- Got to skill level 30 in fighting

What I have achieved so far (from the start)

- Managed to set two additional, minimum size, base of operation deeds on both Cadence and Harmony, right across my main deed.

- Built four guard towers on the corners of my deed (and one more on the old deed), so I can keep the predators at bay.

- Crafted a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one, and after my return replaced them all and improved them to 35+ quality.
- Crafted a set of leather armor and a weapon so I no longer walk around in undergarments.

- Learned to make coffee so I can get ten extra minutes of sleep bonus every day.

- Joined a religion (so I can enjoy follower bonuses), made an altar, and leveled my faith to 30.

- Started to meditate, joined Path of Love and reached level ten, got to skill level 70, then switched to Path of Knowledge where I'm at level 11 now, which means extra 25% gains on all skills besides fighting.

- Got to 21 body control (so I can ride horses), 23 body strength (so I can load items) and 30 mind logic (so I can queue three actions instead of two); also got to 30 body strength so I'll no longer be a leacher if I'll attend any more dragons slayings (although this will probably not happen again since all the travel takes too much time for a casual player).

- Crafted a small sailing boat, a rowboat and three large carts (one fully equipped with rafts and another one fully equipped with large crates) so I can move freely across the map.

- Crafted a corbita and load it with about 30 large crates (so I left space for a BSB, a FSB and a few rafts) so I can carry bulk goods across the map. (unfortunately the crates got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows so I'll have to recraft them)

- Crafted quite a few FSBs and BSBs (about 30 totally), a small barrel rack and about a dozen small barrels, as well as some large crates to store my mats (sorting them based on ql already).

- Crafted a forge (so I can smelt my ores), an oven (so I can cook my meals), two larders (so I can store my food),  and a few bee hive (to capture the bees from a wild hive found on my deed).

- Resumed my horse, donkeys and mules breeding project.

- Mind: 31.56 (was 30.40)
--- Mind logic: 39.13 (was 37.68)
--- Mind speed: 20.96 (was 20.85)
- Soul: 26.07 (was 25.67)
--- Soul depth: 29.68 (was 29.14)
--- Soul strength: 24.06 (was 23.92)
- Body: 38.29 (was 36.89)
--- Body strength: 35.53 (was 34.52)
--- Body stamina: 30.59 (was 30.11)
--- Body control: 31.12 (was 29.71)

Archaeology: 50.22 (was 46.65)

--- Restoration: 44.43 (was 39.10)

- Climbing: 38.49 (was 38.02)
- Pottery: 31.03 (no change)
Mining: 52.62 (was 51.86)

- Digging: 87.07 (was 85.96)

- Smithing: 35.30 (was 31.51)
--- Blacksmithing: 48.68 (was 45.27)
--- Cloth tailoring: 38.01 (was 33.20)

- Masonry: 58.35 (was 55.55)
--- Stone cutting: 33.61 (NEW)

- Nature: 54.75 (was 54.13)

--- Gardening: 50.83 (was 50.78)

--- Foraging: 55.33 (was 55.31)

--- Botanizing: 46.94 (was 46.93)

--- Farming: 36.46 (no change)
--- Meditating: 74.44 (was 72.63)
--- Animal husbandry: 55.14 (was 52.27)

- Fighting: 39.12 (NEW)

--- Aggressive fighting: 45.33 (was 42.67)

- Miscellaneous items: 63.55 (was 61.81)
--- Shovel: 64.28 (was 64.27)
--- Pickaxe: 56.18 (was 55.37)

--- Repairing: 58.21 (was 56.31)

--- Hammer: 34.97 (was 32.92)

--- Stone chisel: 38.65 (was 32.68)

- Axes: 38.01 (was 37.89)

--- Hatchet: 35.59 (was 35.45)
--- Butchering knife: 33.61 (was 31.72)

- Woodcutting: 57.26 (was 57.20)

- Carpentry: 73.05 (was 71.11)

--- Fine carpentry: 41.05 (was 36.65)

--- Ship building: 34.60 (no change)

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://imgur.com/a/WUXwSjs

Edited by Bloodreina

And, finally, here's the (updated) plan for the foreseeable future.

Main objective of the month (that will define the month in the timeline): Still really none, since I'm just catching up with things, so I'll probably continue to split my time between small maintenance tasks and just accommodate back with the game.

Secondary objectives (some might and will probably pass into the next months):
1. Try to craft myself a meditation rug of a higher quality (as high as possible) to allow me to get the questions for level 11.

2. Craft back my set of tools, armor, weapon (and the crates) that I lost during lost during my travel to the realm of shadows and improve them to 30+ QL.
3. Once I'll have these back, since I now have all the gathering skills at 50+ skill, go cut some woods and mine some iron ore, so I have enough materials at skill cap quality and improve all my belongings to 50 quality.
4. Craft some crate racks and more crates in order to be able to better organize my crates with mats / resources.
5. Start my small-scale  breeding program for horses, donkeys and eventually bisons (the last one is still under a big maybe).
6. Surface mine that stubborn mainland area that is too close of my island, which should also give me some extra mining skill; as a side quest I'll also have to craft some new large crates to store the mined shards in them (maybe enough of them to replace the one that got lost and refill my corbita).
7. Learn how to make higher QL coffee so I can be sure that I can burn all my SB during the weeks when I have a busy IRL schedule.
8. Keep cooking the food that I need, so I can slowly level up hot food cooking and eventually get to the point where I can get better CCFP.
9. Keep working on at least one of the three boats that I have in work in the moment (probably the second corbita, because skills are not high enough yet for the knarr or caravel).

10. Craft a wagon as soon as I'll have the minimum required skills.

I'd be grateful if you could give me any feedback, point any flaws you think it has or suggest me better priorities! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Bloodreina

I would say that your greatest achievement is simply deciding to come back to Wurm.

Your objectives all make sense and of course will make even more sense to you in your own deed.

Have you ever thought about simply playing Wurm ad-hoc? What I mean is to do a bit of this and then something else and so on. You will experience a wide variety of activities and your skills will rise across-the-board. You may also find that your enjoyment increases because you do not get stressed in-game attempting to get higher and higher skills.

I never really bother with skills except when I get very close to (say) a title level or perhaps (say) getting close to 53 in harvesting which would allow me to pick additional resources.

I apologise in advance if you prefer setting yourself targets as a way of achieving not just skills but goods that you can sell to fund your game.

Good luck in whatever you do, good luck in rl and welcome back.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Spolmit said:

Have you ever thought about simply playing Wurm ad-hoc? What I mean is to do a bit of this and then something else and so on. You will experience a wide variety of activities and your skills will rise across-the-board. You may also find that your enjoyment increases because you do not get stressed in-game attempting to get higher and higher skills.

I never really bother with skills except when I get very close to (say) a title level or perhaps (say) getting close to 53 in harvesting which would allow me to pick additional resources.

I apologise in advance if you prefer setting yourself targets as a way of achieving not just skills but goods that you can sell to fund your game.

Thank you a lot for the very nice words! *hugs*

Now to answer your comment, I definitely don't intend to grind or sell any products or services, so it's really not about that.

However, I do enjoy to have some targets and see progress being made (although I try to focus on progress made in terms of achieved goals, not in terms of raised skills).

Good to see you back here. Hope you'll be able to last a bit longer as you did last time.

I also hope that when you die - not if, because in this game death can't be avoided, even if it isn't permadeath - you don't see it as a failure, but more as something you will avoid in the future. In a way the saying: "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger" does apply to this game, as it won't make your character stronger, but it certainly would make the player wiser and thus stronger.

So I hope you will enjoy this new stay and more important, I hope you'll become an important part of this community over time. I'm quite certain you're up to both "tasks". ;) 

Thorin :) 

• Like 3

I am happy to see you are back! Already spotted you online in chats and was thinking: Wasn't that the one I had a brief conversation with and who was looking for some InGame contacts? Guess it was you after all. I returned back myself about 2 weeks ago. My offer still stands: If you are looking for someone, even if it is just for some casual talk/chatting, you may always contact me InGame. My name there is Nahimana.

So all that's left to say: Welcome back and take things slow! :)

• Like 1

good to see you back and love the Supernatural quote.

10 weeks , 10 months, 10 years , no matter how long the break we always seem to end up back.

• Like 1

Yeah, once you make a character, you will need to think ahead about your character. Wouldnt hurt to write down, since the game doesnt support Biography. IE, i am playing a nord, a race from Skyrim and using Skyrim names, as well deed, etc. Things you like to do and dont. I have met alot of players been around for a long time, then they make another and another character. I like to stick with just one, but over the years, you will want to try something different.

Btw, welcome back :)

Welcome back! Post some screenshots of your deed aswell :)

• Like 1

Welcome back!  I was both pleased and surprised to find this post and very glad to hear that you are in a much better place.  And congratulations on your marriage!! :D

On 12/8/2021 at 11:28 PM, Bloodreina said:

That set me for a whole year, and if I add them up I come to a total of 84,52€, which I think is more than reasonable for a year worth of entertainment

I heartily agree - and that even for a casual player, the cost per hour of entertainment is superior when compared to other games or even streaming services.  It's a nice present one can give to oneself each year.

I made sure that I understood (and accepted) that there are a lot of people willing to invest much more in Wurm than me, both in terms of time and money and there's no way I could even dream to compete with them. That's why I decided to not even try to compare myself with anyone else, but just focus on my own place, on my own story and on my own progress, done at a pace that I'm comfortable with, and simply don't care how fast or how slow the other people are progressing.

This is the true secret to Wurm, in my opinion.

Rather than turn it into a competition, let it be a pastime like knitting: make things you love and make them just for yourself.  The numbers all go up eventually and one can pursue relentless optimization (which is enjoyable for some) or dive into whatever happens to be interesting at the moment just because it happens to be interesting (which is enjoyable for others).  And (to extend the knitting metaphor) perhaps no one will ever understand or appreciate that three-armed Christmas sweater you decided to make for whatever reason - but it was fun to make and you will always have delightful memories of figuring out how to make a unique thing just the way you envisioned it.

Very much looking forward to updates on your journey.

Obviously the "bitches" part is just a joke / pop culture reference and I'm not actually calling you that. Also, I don't necessarily expect anyone to remember my short presence here, but more likely to just greet me with a "Sorry? Who do you say you are?". Still I found it a funny joke. But if it bothers you or you think it crosses a line, please let me know and I'll gladly remove the reference.

Totally get where you are coming from.  I'll often use 'binches' because it feels the same to say it without the risk of being misinterpreted - but I do appreciate the invitation not to misread this part of the post.  :)

• Like 3

Thank you all for the warm welcome back! :)

This (the great community) is probably the thing that I missed most about Wurm. :)

• Like 3

Welcome back :)

I have always rolled with just whatever catches my fancy from day 1, and have kept on my vision of my character also including weapon and gear. I have never cared about what the fotm is or what people think is best or not  yadda yadda. I also don't go burn skill just to skill, I figure it will come along as I do the things I want to do and whatever I may enjoy at that given time.

60 hours of playtime, which means I'm now at a total of 660 hours (27.5 days) of playtime so here's a new activity report. :)

What's new

- I finally got to 70 meditation skill (my third skill after digging and carpentry to reach this milestone) and I now only wait for time between questions to pass so I can reach that long desired level 11 on the Path of Knowledge (I'm level 10 now, up from level 8 at the time of the initial post).
- I managed to get myself a few pairs of wild bisons and wild donkes, and thanks to some very nice people (@Keridwyn, @chaosmeowand Emeraude) also a pair of wild horses and I start breeding them; I know it will be a long journey, but at least I got the first step. That also means I crafted my first (two) creature cages.

- I managed to replace most (if not all) of my metal tools and improve them to 30+ QL and as a side effect I saw both my smithing and blacksmithing skills raising over 30, to 31.51 and 45.27 respectively (which allowed me to also craft a bee smoker). Wooden tools are next in line for crafting and imping and will hopefully be done during the next 60 hours.

- I took part in the Winter event and, starting from scratch, I managed to raise my archaeology and restoration  skills quite a lot, to 46.65 and 39.10 respectively and also crafted myself an archaeology journal for tracking future findings.

- I have completely exposed that stubborn mainland area that is too close of my island (and used the dirt to raise a few extra tiles of land from the sea) and started to surface mine it a bit, but  just a little bit. I still didn't made my mind if I'll try to keep a natural look or build my deed like a square, walled in fortress of some sorts, but for now extending it a bit can work with both goals.

- I raised my beverages skill a bit (to 17.35), just enough to be able to make my own coffee and enjoy ten extra minutes of sleep bonus per day. To help with this I also crafted a small barrel rack and about a dozen small barrels to store all the fruit juices and oils that I obtained during said "grind".

- I achieved some nice milestones regarding characteristics: both mind (30.40) and body stamina (30.11) are now above 30.

Probably there were a few other (small) achievements, but that's the one I could remember now; for the next time period I'll try to note them down so I can better track them.

- Got to characteristic level 30 in mind

- Got to characteristic level 30 in body stamina

- Got to skill level 70 in meditation

- Got to skill level 60 in miscellaneous items

- Got to skill level 30 (and later 40) in archaeology

- Got to skill level 30 (and later 40) in blacksmithing

- Got to skill level 30 in restoration

- Got to skill level 30 in smithing

- Got to skill level 30 in stone chisel

- Crafted a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one, and after my return started to work on a new set since the old ones got lost (crafted most, if not all, the metal ones far now, with the rest following in the future)
- Crafted a set of leather armor and a weapon so I no longer walk around in undergarments.

- Learned to make coffee so I can get ten extra minutes of sleep bonus every day.

- Started to meditate, joined Path of Love and reached level ten, got to skill level 70, then switched to Path of Knowledge where I'm again on level ten right now.

- Got to 21 body control (so I can ride horses), 23 body strength (so I can load items) and 30 mind logic (so I can queue three actions instead of two); also got to 30 body strength so I'll no longer be a leacher if I'll attend any more dragons slayings (although this will probably not happen again since all the travel takes too much time for a casual player).

- Crafted a small sailing boat, a rowboat and three large carts (one fully equipped with rafts and another one fully equipped with large crates) so I can move freely across the map.

- Crafted quite a few FSBs and BSBs (about 30 totally), a small barrel rack and about a dozen small barrels, as well as some large crates to store my mats (sorting them based on ql already).

- Crafted a forge (so I can smelt my ores), an oven (so I can cook my meals), two larders (so I can store my food),  and a few bee hive (to capture the bees from a wild hive found on my deed).

- Got myself (again) a pair of wild horses and a few pairs of wild bisons and wild donkeys so I can resume my horse breeding project.
- Found a dog, tame it, so I now have a loyal companion to follow me around my deed.

- Improved my items as much as I was able to based on my mats ql (that was about 30 ql for wood and cloth items, 20 ql for leather items, 10 ql for stone items and, please don't laugh, 5 ql for iron items) and I plan to eventually improve them all to 30+. (since unfortunately many of the items got lost during my travel to the realm of shadows that's on hold for now 'tlll I manage to recraft them)

- Mind: 30.40 (was 28.68)
--- Mind logic: 37.68 (was 35.56)
--- Mind speed: 20.85 (was 20.78)
- Soul: 25.67 (was 25.12)
--- Soul depth: 29.14 (was 28.56)
--- Soul strength: 23.92 (was 23.56)
- Body: 36.89 (was 34.65)
--- Body strength: 34.52 (was 32.93)
--- Body stamina: 30.11 (was 29.05)
--- Body control: 29.71 (was 27.27)

- Archaeology: 46.65 (NEW)

--- Restoration: 39.10 (NEW)

- Climbing: 38.02 (was 37.35)
Mining: 51.86 (was 50.28)

- Digging: 85.96 (was 84.41)

- Smithing: 31.51 (NEW)
--- Blacksmithing: 45.27 (NEW)
--- Cloth tailoring: 33.20 (was 32.74)

- Masonry: 55.55 (was 54.65)

- Nature: 54.13 (was 53.22)

--- Gardening: 50.78 (was 50.54)

--- Foraging: 55.31 (was 55.11)

--- Botanizing: 46.93 (was 46.56)

--- Meditating: 72.63 (was 69.88)
--- Animal husbandry: 52.27 (was 51.76)

- Fighting: N/A

--- Aggressive fighting: 42.67 (was 40.60)

- Miscellaneous items: 61.81 (was 59.13)
--- Shovel: 64.27 (was 62.14)
--- Pickaxe: 55.37 (was 53.46)

--- Repairing: 56.31 (was 54.22)

--- Hammer: 32.92 (was 30.05)

--- Stone chisel: 32.68 (NEW)

- Axes: 37.89 (was 37.79)

--- Hatchet: 35.45 (was 35.20)
--- Butchering knife: 31.72 (was 30.46)

- Woodcutting: 57.20 (was 57.12)

- Carpentry: 71.11 (was 70.41)

--- Fine carpentry: 36.65 (was 36.45)

--- Ship building: 34.60 (was 34.50)

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://imgur.com/a/ECcuuen

Edited by Bloodreina

And here's the plan for the foreseeable future.

Main objective of the month (that will define the month in the timeline): Still really none, since I'm just catching up with things, so I'll probably continue to split my time between small maintenance tasks and just accommodate back with the game.

Secondary objectives (some might and will probably pass into the next months):
1. Try to craft myself a meditation rug of a higher quality (as high as possible) to allow me to get the questions for level 11.

2. Craft back my set of tools, armor, weapon (and the crates) that I lost during lost during my travel to the realm of shadows and improve them to 30+ QL.
3. Once I'll have these back, since I now have all the gathering skills at 50+ skill, go cut some woods and mine some iron ore, so I have enough materials at skill cap quality and improve all my belongings to 50 quality.
4. Craft some crate racks and more crates in order to be able to better organize my crates with mats / resources.
5. Start my small-scale  breeding program for horses, donkeys and eventually bisons (the last one is still under a big maybe).
6. Surface mine that stubborn mainland area that is too close of my island, which should also give me some extra mining skill; as a side quest I'll also have to craft some new large crates to store the mined shards in them (maybe enough of them to replace the one that got lost and refill my corbita).
7. Learn how to make higher QL coffee so I can be sure that I can burn all my SB during the weeks when I have a busy IRL schedule.
8. Keep cooking the food that I need, so I can slowly level up hot food cooking and eventually get to the point where I can get better CCFP.
9. Keep working on at least one of the three boats that I have in work in the moment (probably the second corbita, because skills are not high enough yet for the knarr or caravel).

10. Craft a wagon as soon as I'll have the minimum required skills.

I'd be grateful if you could give me any feedback, point any flaws you think it has or suggest me better priorities! Thanks in advance!

February 3th, 2022

[15:11:40] You have played 30 days, 0 hours and 0 minutes.

So here I am, at my ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY and here's a new (and probably final) activity report.

What's new

Main objective: I finally managed to reach that long desired level 11 on the Path of Knowledge, so starting now all my skill gains (except fighting) will be increased with 25%. It was a big goal of mine and finally reaching it does indeed feel like a big achievement.

Other objectives:

- Took events in two public events (one on Melody and one on Harmony), and since the travel took a lot of time and I almost got lost, I took the decision to establish two tiny deeds (minimal size ones, 1s per month upkeep cost) both on Cadence and Harmony, right across from me, so in the future travelling to those servers will be a five minutes business and when I'll eventually get to level 12 on the Path of Knowledge (which requires 80 meditation skill) I'll have a fast away to travel to all events (cross to the server where it takes place, asking a nice priest already at the event for a summon, then, once it's done Recall Home and just cross back home). Theoretically I could already do that using karma teleport, but unfortunately karma is not an infinite resource, so doing my best to push for that 80 meditation skill level.
- As I said in my previous post, I eventually dropped bisons from my small breeding project, but the horses and donkeys ones are going decently fine. I have four pairs of wild horse and three born foals (unfortunately all born only with miscellaneous traits) and on the donkeys I already replaced seven out of the eight wild ones with own foals, and I already managed to get a male that has one draft trait and a female that has on speed and one draft trait (rest of them only have miscellaneous traits). Nothing impressing, but making progresses.
- Also on the animal husbandry front, I managed to raise my skill over 55, which means not only that I can now see all traits (requires 53 skill), but that (in theory) I could get animals with four speed traits (20+15+10+10=55) or with the three useful draft traits (20+20+15=55). Next milestone 65 skill, so I can (in theory) get animals with four draft traits too.

- I also continued what I started last month and managed to replace most (if not all) of my tools and improve them to 35+ QL (it was a real challenge finding a marble vein for improving my baking stone and mortal and pestle, but other than that it was a relatively smooth ride that also gave me nice skill gains.
- Dredged some of the mess in my north perimeter, then used the gather dirt to raise 23 new tiles of land out of the water; still a long way to go, but again, at least some progress is made.
- I achieved one more milestone regarding characteristics and body control is now above 30 (31.12).
- Talking about skill gains, I finally managed to go over skill level 30 in fighting, and together with my (slightly) improved weapon, I can actually start to be able to hold my own against many mobs (like wolves, bears, crabs, spiders and even the occasional crocodiles or turtles) which definitely feels nice. :D

Probably there were a few other (small) achievements, but that's the one I noted down.

- Got to characteristic level 30 in body control

- Got to skill level 50 in archaeology
- Got to skill level 40 in restoration
- Got to skill level 40 in fine carpentry
- Got to skill level 30 in stone cutting
- Got to skill level 30 in fighting

- Managed to set two additional, minimum size, base of operation deeds on both Cadence and Harmony, right across my main deed.

- Crafted a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one, and after my return replaced them all and improved them to 35+ quality.

- Started to meditate, joined Path of Love and reached level ten, got to skill level 70, then switched to Path of Knowledge where I'm at level 11 now, which means extra 25% gains on all skills besides fighting.

- Resumed my horse, donkeys and mules breeding project.

- Mind: 31.56 (was 30.40)
--- Mind logic: 39.13 (was 37.68)
--- Mind speed: 20.96 (was 20.85)
- Soul: 26.07 (was 25.67)
--- Soul depth: 29.68 (was 29.14)
--- Soul strength: 24.06 (was 23.92)
- Body: 38.29 (was 36.89)
--- Body strength: 35.53 (was 34.52)
--- Body stamina: 30.59 (was 30.11)
--- Body control: 31.12 (was 29.71)

Archaeology: 50.22 (was 46.65)

--- Restoration: 44.43 (was 39.10)

- Climbing: 38.49 (was 38.02)
Mining: 52.62 (was 51.86)

- Digging: 87.07 (was 85.96)

- Smithing: 35.30 (was 31.51)
--- Blacksmithing: 48.68 (was 45.27)
--- Cloth tailoring: 38.01 (was 33.20)

- Masonry: 58.35 (was 55.55)
--- Stone cutting: 33.61 (NEW)

- Nature: 54.75 (was 54.13)

--- Gardening: 50.83 (was 50.78)

--- Foraging: 55.33 (was 55.31)

--- Botanizing: 46.94 (was 46.93)

--- Meditating: 74.44 (was 72.63)
--- Animal husbandry: 55.14 (was 52.27)

- Fighting: 39.12 (NEW)

--- Aggressive fighting: 45.33 (was 42.67)

- Miscellaneous items: 63.55 (was 61.81)
--- Shovel: 64.28 (was 64.27)
--- Pickaxe: 56.18 (was 55.37)

--- Repairing: 58.21 (was 56.31)

--- Hammer: 34.97 (was 32.92)

--- Stone chisel: 38.65 (was 32.68)

- Axes: 38.01 (was 37.89)

--- Hatchet: 35.59 (was 35.45)
--- Butchering knife: 33.61 (was 31.72)

- Woodcutting: 57.26 (was 57.20)

- Carpentry: 73.05 (was 71.11)

--- Fine carpentry: 41.05 (was 36.65)

--- Ship building: 34.60 (no change)

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://imgur.com/a/WUXwSjs

Edited by Bloodreina

So, that's what I managed to achieve in one month (30 days) of /playtime. That means one year of real life time for a casual player playing an average two hours per day or two years of real life time for a casual player playing an average of one hour per day.

I did everything without using any external help (I only used mats that I gathered myself, tools that I crafted and imped myself and absolutely no enchants) and while I did paid for my premium time with RL$ the deed setting and upkeep was pretty much paid with earned money (not doing bulk orders, but just selling my rares and the occasional coins from foraging or whatever) and I even made a small profit.

Sure, things could have been done better and I'm sure some other people could have achieved much more, while other could have done considerably worse. I won't comment if what I managed to achieve is much, less or appropriate for this time interval - that was not my goal. My goal was to just give a casual player an idea (not necessarily a very accurate one, but at least a general one) of what he could achieve in this timeline by playing casually. From this point forward is up to any (new) player to decide if Wurm is the kind of game for them.

As far as it concerns me, this is my last public post regarding my fails, struggles and adventures. I will still be around and I will still keep playing, but I'll keep my businesses to my own and I will cut down on public postings or interactions because if that's one thing where Wurm failed me it was this one. Over'n'out!

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 2