Sign in to follow this  
Ravenous

How often does this map update?

Curious how often does the map update? I noticed i saw a few spot on the live map, that wasnt there anymore or deeds is completely gone! Also why are there so many Lord the Ring Names all over the map? Also see some from Dungeons and Dragons too. I got my name for the deed from Skyrim, a nord, i am trying to roleplay out.

Yes i am new in here online, met some players, most wasnt nice after all. But i still enjoy it, i spent couple of years in Unlimited and things wasnt going too good, gotten so boring and though i give this a shot. So far i loved it. So i just bought two years of membership black friday on Steam.

• Like 1

Map updates are done by just one person, who's trying to do his best to keep things updated if he gets the required information. Just check the map thread about the frequency the one updating the map replies when new deeds are listed there.

Deeds listed at the map while they aren't active anymore happen; just like you will run into deeds not showing up at the map at all. Main thing is that the former usually means the updater has missed the twitter feed; while the latter means the deed owner never posted it at the specific topic.

As for why there are so many deed names related to a certain movie franchise; things like that happen. The moment a certain franchise got popular, players will name their main and alts after the main characters of that franchise and often do the same with their deeds. I've seen LotR deed names, GoT deed names and at least one from Tamriel (yours would be the 2nd if it shows up at the map).

Regarding your encounter with other players; one of the "problems" this game has, is that it's using global servers. Meaning players from all over the world with different standards and habbits play at the same server, talk in the same channels and occasonally collide with other players.

Another problem is that we got - unfortunately - some veteran trol....... Ehrm......... players who love to troll new players. They know exactly how far they can go before a staff member has to step in to mute them, making it very hard for the staff to deal with them (as in temporary or complete ban of said players); but quite often are trolling enough to make new players decide to either avoid certain chat channels or quit the game completely.

It has happened to me as well that I've been in a situation like that and the only possible solution is to ignore that or those players. You can ignore them in two ways, being not replying to what they say at all, or using the actuall "ignore" command (ignore <playername> ) to block all conversation that person posts. This applies to all channels but CA-help and village / alliance chat. Disadvantage of the latter is you may miss out part of a conversation that player has with someone else.

Fortunately  there are more decent and good players as trolls, but as always, it's the vocal minority which gets the most attention. I'd advise you to just see which players are the "good" ones in your book and which aren't, have a good time with the former and simply ignore the latter. If you're able to do that, I'm certain you're going to have a great time in this game; as there's a lot to do, to discover and to enjoy in it.

And to give you a hint about how things can be; there's an impalong starting at Xan pretty soon. If you're able to make it, you'll see some very good examples about how friendly, nice and helpful this community can be.

Happy wurming!

Thorin :)

(No, not a LotR name. It's from The Hobbit. ;)  )

• Like 7

Ravenous, Thorin pretty much said it all. I update the deeds and other markers on the map (tunnels, bridges, highways, etc.), and try to keep on top of that as best I can. I do miss some deeds that go abandoned even though I check Niarja (Niarja - Xanadu) almost every day. If there are deeds on the map that have been disbanded or other discrepancies, please let me know on the map thread.

Regarding the underlying map which shows the terrain of Xanadu, that is updated once a year, usually sometime in January. That map comes to us from the devs who take a snapshot of the server at the first of the year and then post them for us a couple weeks later. Those raw maps can be found here (Wurm Map Dumps).

Regarding rude or unfriendly people in game, I'm sorry you've experienced that. Most people who play the game are friendly and will go out of their way to help a new player. As Thorin said though, there's a few who are not and who seem to go out of their way to troll and make Wurm not as fun as it could be. It's an unfortunate thing, and I wish we could round them up and ban them, but that's outside our jurisdiction. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them and to let everyone else you talk to know what horrible, bitter people they are. Reputation in the game is a precious commodity, so damaging theirs might be the only real way to curb trollish behavior.

I do hope you give Wurm a proper chance, it's an amazing game, and like I said, most of the people who play regularly are very friendly and willing to help out a new player. Happy Wurming :)

Welcome to Wurm Online! Dale pretty much summed it up but majority of the community is really nice and super friendly! I am not on Xan myself but occasionally swing by :)

Yeah i didnt mention my deed on the map just yet, cause there maybe some are nasty players, esp if they want to hunt you down and wreck around your place, if not deeded. I seen it happen many times on Unlimited, sadly the GMs didnt do anything about, then players started to rage quit.

I found the abandoned deed, got handful of dirts that i have placed into crates and place, place and place all the way down near the water. Unfort some did take it, and others just lied about taken stuffs. I was thinking about deeding that spot, once i get some coins saved up. But only saw two players that raid it :( Had good amount of foods and many other things, but all gone now!

I saw Dale got slain other day on the event window, guess he was taken out a large rat or afk, then a troll got him. Rarely see anyone get slain in there. Pretty quiet around my place, i like to live in the wilderness away from other players. Since most of them want to be left alone anyway.

Edited by Ravenous

I am very sorry to hear about your bad experiences with some players. Unfortunately (just like most games) wurm has a few bad eggs. Luckily though there is a lot of good players as well. If there is anything you might need shoot me a pm. I have collected a few too many things over the years and would be happy to put them in a new home. 

• Like 2

Thank, that is very nice of you :) I found a spot to be happy with atm. Not sure how long i will hang out here, see how things goes down the roads.

16 hours ago, Ravenous said:

Yeah i didnt mention my deed on the map just yet, cause there maybe some are nasty players, esp if they want to hunt you down and wreck around your place, if not deeded. I seen it happen many times on Unlimited, sadly the GMs didnt do anything about, then players started to rage quit.

I found the abandoned deed, got handful of dirts that i have placed into crates and place, place and place all the way down near the water. Unfort some did take it, and others just lied about taken stuffs. I was thinking about deeding that spot, once i get some coins saved up. But only saw two players that raid it :( Had good amount of foods and many other things, but all gone now!

I saw Dale got slain other day on the event window, guess he was taken out a large rat or afk, then a troll got him. Rarely see anyone get slain in there. Pretty quiet around my place, i like to live in the wilderness away from other players. Since most of them want to be left alone anyway.

First of all, everything that's on a deed can't be taken by other players, unless you've set your deed settings for non-citizens to pick up / load items. So first thing you should do after you've founded your deed is to get to the role settings and change the roles of non-citizens to make sure they won't pick up or load anything.

Same goes for  your buildings, although iirc the default setting for that is not allowing non-citizens to pick things up / load.

Second thing I would adivice you to do is to build a wooden fence around your area, add 1-2 gates there and put a lock at it. After that, set the lock to give access only to those you trust; making it even harder for other players to enter your deed. If you make sure your fence is build at the outer tile of your deed - the one between your deed and your 1st perimeter tile - no-one can even smash those fences to enter. Plus it keeps some nasty creatures out as well.

The main reason to do this; there's an unwritten "rule" that says that everything  that isn't on deed or deeded is free for graps. Some players take that rule very literal and pick up items next to a wagon, cart or ship belonging to other players; as it's "free to take".

Other players have a bit more of a consience - or perhaps more brains, I dunno which one - and consider those items as most likely belonging to the one who owns the wagon / cart / ship and thus can't be taken. Fortunately as already pointed out by others, this is the majority of the players. :) 

What's more fortunate for you, is that you've found a spot at Xanadu; which is part of the Freedom Isles. And that means that PvP or looted deeded area's is not allowed or even possible. There are some methods to bypass  that, you will find those in the rule book under "griefing". I won't get into that too much, however there's a difference between doing that on purpose or by accident. If you ever encounter someone doing that near you, try to talk to that person first and kindly request (and not "Hey WTF ######! You're cutting down the oak trees I planted! Stop that or I call a GM!!!!!!1!!111) that person to stop what (s)he's doing and kindly explain why. You'll notice a lot of players aren't aware of what they did and are willing to stop. Or even repair the damage, if needed.

As for Dain beling slain (untintential rhyme, sorry :D ) thats an event tab that is shown server wide and could be turned on or off in your personal settings.

It only shows the deaths of players having more as 20FS and being premium, so if you don't have that, you can easily get yourself killed multiple times without anyone knowing it.

If you are over 20FS and it happens a lot, you'll see that there are always players with higher FS around willing to help you getting your items back. Yes, the community is that friendly.

Thorin :) 

Ah well i saw few pens got breach, look like someone tried bashing down the fence. New players will have low carpentry skill, plus gonna need good woods can cut, etc. To make up for it. Happen to me several times on Unlimited too. There not much can do about it, unless its on your deed.

Btw i did ask that player to give back my dirts, but he wouldnt do it. I knew he took them, there were three full crates of dirts and been working on the fourth one. Sadly he took everything and lied about taken them. Cause i just left there not long ago and travel back there across the lake. Rarely see anyone around these parts anyway.

It better for players to be a member to survive in Wurm, otherwise not really going to get anywhere for being non-member or dont pay up. Its rough out there, been doing pretty good so far, least i got a good speed horse to ride on and dont want to get into thick dense forest, that i cannot see where i am going, too risky!

Edited by Ravenous

Ravenous, if you make a very simple building and put your stuff in that, crates, bsbs, etc, no one can take anything from that building unless you set your permissions to allow them to. That's on-deed or off. It's something I utilize a lot when out collecting bulk materials. A simple 1x1 shack can hold a lot of stuff, and only takes 80 planks and 4 large nails to make (don't need a roof even). 

If you need dirt or rock shards, tools or whatever, just ask and I'll send it. Like Bratty said, over the years you tend to accumulate more stuff than you can actually use, and most veterans will be more than glad to send you some of their extras. Don't hesitate to ask in Freedom Chat in-game or send me a PM here in the forums.

11 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

Ravenous, if you make a very simple building and put your stuff in that, crates, bsbs, etc, no one can take anything from that building unless you set your permissions to allow them to. That's on-deed or off. It's something I utilize a lot when out collecting bulk materials. A simple 1x1 shack can hold a lot of stuff, and only takes 80 planks and 4 large nails to make (don't need a roof even). 

If you need dirt or rock shards, tools or whatever, just ask and I'll send it. Like Bratty said, over the years you tend to accumulate more stuff than you can actually use, and most veterans will be more than glad to send you some of their extras. Don't hesitate to ask in Freedom Chat in-game or send me a PM here in the forums.

Thanks Dale, i got that covered, got plenty of dirts around my place now. Just trying to clean up someone mess, by smoothing out the landscape.

• Like 2