Sign in to follow this  
DaletheGood

Release targeted mobs after a certain time and distance

Currently if you are targeted by a mob, you have to either kill the mob or manually un-target them in order to fight another mob. This can lead to dying if you're traveling and afk for any length of time - which happened to me a few days ago. I can kill champ trolls with ease at this point, but a rat and a young troll did me in because I'd passed a goblin while afk traveling and I wouldn't fight the mobs when I ran into some impassable terrain and came to a stop. With so many straight, long roads, especially here in Xanadu, it's quite natural to set your wagon or horse on the road and wander off for a few to get some coffee or lunch or whatever knowing that you have many minutes of uninterrupted travel before you have to change direction or interact with the game in any substantial way. And, being human, it's also natural for you to get sidetracked or take longer than originally anticipated to get back to the game. That kind of behavior should not be a death sentence.

I know I've seen this proposal before, but I did not see it in the first 7-8 pages of suggestions that I looked, so here it is again.

Let the targeted mob un-target (clumsy description but don't know what else to call it) automatically after a certain time and distance from the mob. So, if you're targeted by a mob, after say 2-3 minutes and 20 tiles away from that mob, that target automatically drops allowing you to defend yourself against new mobs.

Edited by DaletheGood
spelling
  • Like 7

Or pay attention to your target and fight tab.

Fighting doesn’t need *more* automation. 

Edited by belacane

Just now, belacane said:

Or pay attention to your target and fight tabs.

Or, pay attention to the parameters set out, i.e. afk traveling, and base your objections on that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belacane said:

Or pay attention to your target and fight tab.

Fighting doesn’t need *more* automation.

There is no reasonable ground for mobs staying targeted, and the fighting window giving false information, attributing damage to a mob one is not in combat with, and possibly never were. That is the "automation" which fails.

It is not immersive at all either. Auto defense is, when something hits me, I take shelter, parry, hit back, even if not fully aware about the details of the attack and the attacker/s. I would never mistake a troll for a goblin, or a crocodile for a cat though. Much less  would I hit thin air against a foe kilometers away.

The fighting window should apply to the recently attacking foe. That may not be the most dangerous in case of multiple mobs attacking. Appraising the tactical situation must indeed not be automated. But that was not what the proposal was about.

• Like 3

To be fair, it's an illogical system for me as well, and in the beginning of the game, when I started out it's precisely the reason I died in the first place. 

I targeted a pig in the distance, unsure what "targeting" actually meant at the time. After walking around for a few tile I recall a bear attacking me and I didn't understand WHY i was not fighting it. Bear obviously killed me. 

Auto fighting should do just that. It should prioritize the mob actually attacking you, not the one you targeted 30 tiles away. 

And to have the best of both worlds, manual fighting can do exactly that, keep the initial target even if there are higher lvl mobs (trolls) actually attacking you. 

• Like 1

Didn't read the argument. 

Auto target but NO auto un-target!

Please just un-target at some range. It's actually just annoying when I've made back to my deed and I'm still in fight mode because of some cat that crossed my path 30 minutes ago. I bet the cat isn't still in fight mode!

11 minutes ago, bigtree said:

Auto target but NO auto un-target!

Perfectly summarized :)) 

To be clear, I am always in manual fight mode, not in auto-fight. But, as I passed the first mob, it targeted me, which automatically made me target it even though I had no desire to fight it. This targeting was involuntary on my part as I was afk traveling on a straight road. Several minutes later, having run out of straight road, I got stuck and attacked by two other mobs who killed me because I had not un-targeted the original mob. That original mob had by that point forgotten all about me, as I'd moved out of its aggro range, but because of the mechanics of the game I was still targeting it while being attacked by other mobs, which prevented me from defending myself.

Yes, I should not have been afk for that long. Granted. But should the punishment be a death sentence from mobs I could easily kill if I hadn't been targeting some other distant mob? If I am stationary and afk, I will kill mobs as they come by and be just fine. I've come back to the computer to find champ trolls and other bodies piled up around me and am no worse for it. But jump in a wagon or on a horse and I can't set out on a long stretch of road without being glued to the computer just to "No Target" mobs as I pass them.

It seems to me that if a mob has given up chasing you and you've moved outside it's aggro range, your targeting of that mob should drop at around the same time. Automatically.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

To be clear, I am always in manual fight mode, not in auto-fight. But, as I passed the first mob, it targeted me, which automatically made me target it even though I had no desire to fight it. This targeting was involuntary on my part as I was afk traveling on a straight road. Several minutes later, having run out of straight road, I got stuck and attacked by two other mobs who killed me because I had not un-targeted the original mob. That original mob had by that point forgotten all about me, as I'd moved out of its aggro range, but because of the mechanics of the game I was still targeting it while being attacked by other mobs, which prevented me from defending myself.

Yes, I should not have been afk for that long. Granted. But should the punishment be a death sentence from mobs I could easily kill if I hadn't been targeting some other distant mob? If I am stationary and afk, I will kill mobs as they come by and be just fine. I've come back to the computer to find champ trolls and other bodies piled up around me and am no worse for it. But jump in a wagon or on a horse and I can't set out on a long stretch of road without being glued to the computer just to "No Target" mobs as I pass them.

It seems to me that if a mob has given up chasing you and you've moved outside it's aggro range, your targeting of that mob should drop at around the same time. Automatically.

I've known a player who rage quit for this very reason. He was highly skilled and armored and there was no other reason he should have died.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:06 AM, elentari said:

I targeted a pig in the distance, unsure what "targeting" actually meant at the time. After walking around for a few tile I recall a bear attacking me and I didn't understand WHY i was not fighting it. Bear obviously killed me. 

I wonder how many new players left the game thinking it was broken because of this? This mechanic really does need addressing.

• Like 1

I've never understood why after I'm "too far away to fight" a mod I still have it targeted, especially considering you're not even targeted by that mob automatically anymore. 

• Like 1