Sign in to follow this  
Guest toltus

durable foods/ rations

in a normal society food is an important item in the economy  but  wurm food rotts so fast  that for the most part it isnt able to be sold or traded.

I would really like to see a way to be able to craft specialized / durable foodstuffs that dont decay so anoyingly quick

I would love to be able to create a durable ration specially designed to last  so you could use them on long journies.

I would love to see some new  tools  that allow you to presurve  meats and vegetables  

smoker possibly like a little oven  

dryer  kind of like a loom   mainly use for drying fish  

the current methods simply have too fast of decays  in many cases    

any other  methods or practices for  making foods last longer  would be greatly apreciated  like silos or  root celars  

one of the reason people create so much over stock is because so much of the stock is in some state of decay so you need 10x as much as you normally would.

id like to see some things like wine beer mead ale  that have long shielf life as well or no real decay.

and some kinds of bread or baking recipies should be durable too

and some cheese  should durable,, it would actually be handy to have some form of scale

Sort of agree but meals do last about 3 days at QL 20 and, last I knew, casseroles last substantially longer and can be of much higher QL than your hfc skill.

You really only need a fishing rod to keep yourself stocked in advance.

I would love to be able to create a durable ration specially designed to last  so you could use them on long journies.

Vegies and flour. They last a long time. Just add water to the flour to make dough, heat in a campfire to make bread, then bung that in with a couple of Vegies in a bowl - bingo, instant casserole (well instant depends on campfire QL, but it works)

Oh, and wine already exists, and the longer you leave it, the higher the QL becomes...

I have 2 month old edible meat fillets in a backpack in my house.

What's the problem exactly?

Can't expect a full course meal to have the same decay rate as baked beans.

I'd like some durable flatbread like pane carasau that lasts really long (months) in inventory when stored in a satchel. It could be used as an emergency ration for journeys or players who don't play regularly.

A skilled baker would have to make it and no skill should be gained from making it (to prevent durable breads from being spammed for skillgain). It should provide very low nutrition, but fill up the food bar with relatively little weight. Olive oil and salt could be required to make it eatable and harder to obtain.

Some sort of waybread and/or jerky would be a nice addition.

Agreed. Veggies and flour already last quite long and don't really need to be changed. A method for preserving meat/fish is what we really need.

cook your meat then fillet it. fish and cooked meat fillet last a long time. Considering you can make a high HFC ql meal with a 90's dmg fillet or 1 ql you should have plenty of meat in storage.

Whole fish is a different story. Those rot in a few hours it seems.

food production materials decay was increase because of hording. It would be counter productive to allow persevering system.

I disagree with the current mentality that high ql food should decay fast. Wurm's traveling and transpiration limitation make such fast food rot a bad idea. I'd like to see a focus switch to making food that last a long time.

food production materials decay was increase because of hording. It would be counter productive to allow persevering system.

I disagree with the current mentality that high ql food should decay fast. Wurm's traveling and transpiration limitation make such fast food rot a bad idea. I'd like to see a focus switch to making food that last a long time.

Well, that's what I meant really. I think that preserving meat shouldn't be automatic, it should take effort. This way, meat that is being collected right away just decays. Meat you want to keep must be smoked/dried/whatever.

Like saltet/smoked ham.

And sea/ship biscuits.

All this fill you up but of course with bad effects to your nutrition.

How about dryed fruits ?

I remeber from history lessons that they used that alot on the ships at the end of the middle ages to fight the Scurvy.

All this fill you up but of course with bad effects to your nutrition.

Really good and nutrition food can be made from preserved ingredients. I wish people would realize that we don't have to make a trade off where long lasting food equals low nutrition.

As long as high nutrition equates to skill gain bonus any food that gives low nutrition will be garbage.

teehee, I want to farm sugar beets! yes, sugar as a food preservative.

A lot of the issues with the trade off between food durability and nutrition could be solved by altering the way nutrition is tracked. Currently you eat one low nutrition food after months of high nutrition and you now have a low level...until you eat a good meal and >poof< suddenly you are fit again. And the opposite is true - a hunter having lived off raw meat for a week eats one super fabulous meal and he is back in the upper levels. In some situations (really big swings, or only partially depleted food bars) it might make two sessions to move to the new food's exact level, but that is still awfully volatile.

If instead, the game tracked two numbers for nutrition, the change could be more graceful, and the benefit of harder/more resource intensive to make, longer lasting moderate to low nutrition food becomes substantial. First the game tracks but does not display your "momentary: or "current" nutrition which represents what you have been living off lately. It is calculated exactly as nutrition is currently. This number is part of a moving or rolling average which is displayed and replaces the current nutrition for determining fat retention, skill gain bonus/penalty, and food bar use.

Judging by the behavior of the current nutrition it is also may be a "fixable" rolling average already, but it tracks such a short duration that the number fluctuates violently. This encourages players to pursue behaviors like not using any food type but meals, forgoing the nutrition system entirely and fasting/living off raw meat, or relying on meditation abilities to circumvent the entire food system.

So reading these responses, it seems possible to have longer lasting food. But i would have to suggest that  cooks with sufficient skills be able to create preserved food that decays very slowly, but retains most of its' nutrition.