Sign in to follow this  
Beastwolf

Stop Adding Faster Skill Gain Boosts

I personally enjoy the hard grind aspect of the game.

Not a fan of making skilling easier and easier with faster gains.

To a degree it'll just become half the effort to grind.

you can add quality of life without adding easy 'here's 25% more skill gain'

Edited by Beastwolf
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

I can get behind this as well.  Coming from Final Fantasy XI Online when it premiered in 2004 in NA... it was hard and unless you had a party of 6 or alliance of 18 for some aspects, you couldn't get far.   Fast forward t now it has been cheesed with updates to the point you can solo the original game and 3 expansions and the only real thing to do, last I played, is party up to grind endgame gear at level 99.  It's just not fun anymore.

Please stop making skillgain so easy to come by that I will inevitably get bored sooner from cranking out skills quicker 😕   The majority of your playerbase doesn't want instant gratification from cookiecutter games, stop aligning wurm with that ideal.

#MakeWurmGreatAgain

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

For my part, I'd urge the exact opposite approach and attitude. Please continue creating options for those who have limited time and/or energy to grind endless skill points to feel like they're advancing, too.

Final Fantasy MMO is a fantastic example - it started out as an unplayable, unpopular wreck that was closed due to failing financially. Since the changes to make it more accessible to the masses and easier to get into, it's turned into the #1 MMO worldwide.

Even if skill grinding was twice the current speed, permanently, it would still take thousands of hours to grind all the skills I'd like to the level I'd like them at. Ease of use and accessibility are sorely underrated.

• Like 5

It's a tough balance. I love how vast and endless Wurm is. It really feels like a game that will hold my attention forever because there's just so much to do. It's definitely not good if a game is too easy and people just burn through it in a few weeks or months. However, it can also feel like there's no point in playing Wurm at all if you don't have hours upon hours to put into it. Most people I have tried to introduce to this game turned away because it "looks like a huge time sink", and they are not wrong.

I love the idea of caffeine (the way it's intended to work) so much because it can give people who can't play as much a sense of progression, while keeping that effect limited so the game isn't just sped up overall. Those first weeks after coffee was introduced were so nice! I could spend a little time focused on skill gain and actually have a sense of progress, then relax and just putter around without feeling like I should be more "productive". I hope caffeine will end up being balanced to provide that again, with limits in place to prevent the game feeling too easy overall :)

• Like 5

Didn’t you champ grumpyman instead of grinding 70 prayer? YOU ARE NO LONGER PURE. Time to make a beastwolf name and shame.

• Cat 1

2 hours ago, Aleck said:

Final Fantasy MMO is a fantastic example - it started out as an unplayable, unpopular wreck that was closed due to failing financially. Since the changes to make it more accessible to the masses and easier to get into, it's turned into the #1 MMO worldwide.

No real opinion myself, but I thought it was worth to point out that Nomadikhan is talking about FF 11 which was never closed or changed and certainly is not #1 MMO.

The one you may think about it FF 14 - that was closed and heavily revamped when Yoshi P took over and then turned successful - the reason for FF 14 bad start were not that it was tot hard though, there were artifical barriers to hold people back on purpose and plenty of other bad ideas.

Some people enjoy the "something takes a long time to do and can thus give you a real sense of acomplishment" (also, I think Wurm was intended to be played as a village... it is a MMO after all, so the concept was mostly like citizens specializing in things so no one would have too grind allll the skills - people just play it differently these days), FF 11 and EverQuest were games where you would have to put actual effort into achieving something, Wurm is still in the same line and I do enjoy it that way.

Do I love all aspects of it? Probably not, but I do not dislike them enough to want them changed.

This game as a solid playerbase that enjoys this part of the game as it is, changing it could bring in more people and drive out the fanbase that has stuck with it since beta.

It is never easy to strike a good balance...

Also, if you want faster Skillgain, wasn't there a cluster called epic?

I know it is PvP, but I wonder how a server/cluster with that epic curve without PvP would do...

Edited by Milkdrop
not barries... barriers.. #typo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, user said:

Didn’t you champ grumpyman instead of grinding 70 prayer? YOU ARE NO LONGER PURE. Time to make a beastwolf name and shame.

Don’t ever disrespect our Elder and founder of Kenn Jellon 

Grumpyman The Great 

coffee does the exact opposite of what you say its intented to be used for.

Edited by Tpikol

add more skillgain but make it super convuluted and hard to use, we havent gotten a new sweet spotting in a decade :(

• Like 2
  • Cat 2

You are welcome to grind without coc or sb if you choose, if that makes you feel more accomplished by achieving these things! 

• Like 3

Also can walk with climbing constantly turned on. Running and riding is just too fast.

On a serious note, even with those boost, Wurm is galaxy away from being seen as medium difficulty grind in "normal" game world.

Dog on the right got 30% skilling buff:

giphy.gif

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Wilczan said:

On a serious note, even with those boost, Wurm is galaxy away from being seen as medium difficulty grind in "normal" game world.

really in a serious note, why the lies? there is no way devs really think that coffe that way it is its going to help casual players. just don't lie about what new mechanics are supposed to do.

28 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

really in a serious note, why the lies? there is no way devs really think that coffe that way it is its going to help casual players. just don't lie about what new mechanics are supposed to do.

he didn't say a single thing about who it's supposed to help or what mechanics are supposed to do lol, did you forget your meds

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

he didn't say a single thing about who it's supposed to help or what mechanics are supposed to do lol, did you forget your meds

Yes he did :P

And I think it all just pretty much works as intended, the people who grind soo much that they run out of fatigue can't really use it.

Edited by Timoca

Even if skillgain in wurm doubled from what it is right now it still is the slowest game (possibly in history?) when it comes to skillgain. I personally love the coffee update precisely because it helps skillgain at a cost. It's not "free skillgain". You need sleep bonus & fatigue to use it. 

What's the issue again? Wurm is a slow game that takes years to get good at assuming a player doesn't get utterly bored after a few years, which in itself is a huge assumption. 

We finally have a nice tradeoff for skillgain. All that remains is balancing it out with water usage. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you got it right as you always do.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:13 PM, Keenan said:

he main thing is the purpose we intended for caffeine to have: A means for casual players to get a bit of an edge.

Edited by Tpikol

9 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

that's not wilczan

and your point is? let me guess: same as the rest of your posts, just wishing you were a troll.

Edited by Tpikol

you're accusing a guy of lying because someone who wasn't him said something that isn't related to what he posted? what's your point other than you can't tell people apart or you think a ca is making the decisions about game mechanics lol

Kenan is a ca now? or you think because i agreed with Wilczan that means i accused him of lying?

Either way back to treating you like darnok.

Edited by Tpikol

Wurm has always been a game where people feel that because they did it the hard way others have to as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Wurm has always been a game where people feel that because they did it the hard way others have to as well. 

no, even with the idea of my current level and those near me I am satisfied with how long it takes and the amount of work it takes to further your toon. The challenge should stand, less instant gratification.

4 minutes ago, Beastwolf said:

no, even with the idea of my current level and those near me I am satisfied with how long it takes and the amount of work it takes to further your toon. The challenge should stand, less instant gratification.

And that's fine. Play it your way. 

Personally I enjoy being able to actually gain skills with the limited time I have to play, coffee means my one hour of focused grinding gets me further, and I can feel the accomplishment too 

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

6 hours ago, Archaed said:

Case in point. If weaponsmithing was given a skillgain boost, I wouldn't mind at all, even after reaching 90 WS. 

I would be happy people would lose less sanity and time if they wanted to get to 90 WS. Just because some of us suffered, doesn't mean Wurm shouldn't move with the times. 

• Like 2