Sign in to follow this  
Loneshade

Non deeded..deeds

Hello all,      I am not sure if this is the place for this but I have noticed some troubling things within the game. I have noticed deeds being undeeded but all structures left intact as well as fences etc. to keep things blocked in so the player/players can continue to use the area and not pay for it. I have also noticed players building structures around mine entrances that they do not own as to restrict others access. I understand in theory that this was all set up so new players that was undecided about rather to deed or not was made able to keep things and play the game without worry of destruction or theft by other players. I thought about it and in theory if someone decided to do so nothing is really stopping them from closing off as much land as they choose to without paying for any of it. 

I feel that perhaps the system needs some tweaking to eliminate the work around people are using to obtain more than they actually pay for there by blocking the chance of someone actually deeding an area or using what should be public access. So next time one of you come along to one of said off deed structures and you find a new fence with lock on it....well its public right :)

9 minutes ago, Loneshade said:

So next time one of you come along to one of said off deed structures and you find a new fence with lock on it....well its public right :)

As long as you follow the rules in WO you be ok BUT its not alloud to fence in so old owner cant reach it (just so you know ) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maiya said:

As long as you follow the rules in WO you be ok BUT its not alloud to fence in so old owner cant reach it (just so you know ) 

So what about places that was never actually a deed and just built on, fenced/walled like a mine entrance....that is not actually owned or was owned by whoever placed the structure around it. These types of things are not "owned". To me ownership means you bought it or paid for it not just decided to "take" it.

you have the right to build on free land .....free land is land not deeded .....

most people make a gate house to a mine instead of a minedoor, since a minedoor can be bashed off deed  but a gate house cant 

buildings off deed on free land can be risky to live in 

someone can come and make a deed near it and then put the house in the perimeter (it can take long time for the house in perimeter to decay)  

then the house owner cant repair that house and need too move, 

probelry to build a new house on new free land,   if they keep imping and repair the house it can stand long

Think  if your deed fall couse you stop play for a while, your old deed is now on free land  ....then its good that your house stand a while so you can have a chance to redo the deed gain ....dont you think ? 

Unless someone come and put it in perimeter 😕

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loneshade said:

I understand in theory that this was all set up so new players

no you dont understand, its not about new players, anybody can own offdeed buildings for any reason, doesn't matter if it is because they are working on some big project and use it to store things or just because they can.

2 hours ago, Loneshade said:

that is not actually owned or was owned by whoever placed the structure around it

anyone who builds a structure does own it, unless they give it to someone else or do it on someone else's deed., no matter what your definition of ownership is. people can build off-deed for any reason and accept the risks of doing so.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 4
  • Cat 1

8 hours ago, Loneshade said:

I thought about it and in theory if someone decided to do so nothing is really stopping them from closing off as much land as they choose to without paying for any of it.

Sounds to me like you didn't think about it strongly enough.

There's multiple things you need to think a about if you do this.

One is that the structures will decay so you have to continously improve and repair.

Another is that building any structure of a decent size takes a lot of effort. There is a lot of land.

Third one is what was mentioned above, that if someone does deed up next to your structure and put it within a perimeter, you're basically stuck with a structure that will eventually decay and you can't repair it or do anything about it. This, in combination with the above point of building any structure of a decent size taking a lot of effort, will not make it very attractive to do so.

The current system isn't prefect, but what is. The current system doesn't have nearly as much problems as you make it sound like it. Let's have the devs spend their time fixing actual issues instead.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Borstaskor said:

Sounds to me like you didn't think about it strongly enough.

oh I thought about it...probably to much really :) I understand what everyone is saying but I plan to test out some things in game, see you there.

Loneshade, anyone can build a fence off-deed, but the same is true that anyone can bash a fence that is off-deed. As you said anyone can lock a gate off deed and it's theirs because that is basically how ownership works in this game. If I wanted too, I could easily fence off 1000 tiles, and use it free of charge but as others have said, there's certain risks involved. if I have animals there, anyone can steal them if they're not branded because technically i don't own them. Anyone can destroy my fences, anyone can harvest my crops because the land is open. Just putting up a fence doesn't mean I own the land any more than building a gate at a mine entrance stops you from digging right next to it on open land to open a new entrance, and if i build all this without a building, anyone can walk in and place a deed over my hard work or as others have said place a deed next to my house and I am totally out of luck.

I could do those things to you, just like you could do them to me, and the GM's wont do a thing because it was all done on free land. What deeds do is not give you ownership of land it gives you exclusive rights to use that land for the time paid in upkeep.

Wurmians have an unwritten code of respect though, I don't go bashing your fences and taking your sheep and crops and you don't do that to me because we're all here to have fun and enjoy this game.

That being said, I may not want to place a deed to build say a hunting lodge, or a road-side stop for people to seek shelter from trolls. I might be building something temporary to accomplish a big project far from home, but i take those risks all the same. As is the custom in Wurm Online, deed it, or lose it.

Edited by Blacklotus
  • Like 5

On 11/25/2021 at 10:59 PM, Blacklotus said:

Wurmians have an unwritten code of respect

Reputation in Wurm is probably the most hard earned currency you can get.  

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 7:13 PM, Loneshade said:

oh I thought about it...probably to much really :) I understand what everyone is saying but I plan to test out some things in game, see you there.

if you really test out something nobody has tried before i will be amazed.

good luck with that.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1