Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 16-Nov-2021

EDIT. i spoke with a friend and i may have encountered a bug that was resulting in not getting any timer and decreasing rapidly even after relog but seems to work now. so ignore what i said earlier ty

Edited by Manitu

45 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Could you put this in the actual bug report section, rather than here?

No.

Cocoa should be able to go in a fsb right? I was sure it could before, and ground coffee beans can, but now I'm getting the message [21:05:43] The cocoa would be destroyed.

Was this changed, or do I remember wrong, or is it a bug?

Edited by Vorticella

Cocoa never went into FSB as long as I can remember. Always in larder. Cocoa paste goes into FSB, so do all beans, green coffee, coffee, cacao, cocoa.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

25 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

Cocoa should be able to go in a fsb right? I was sure it could before, and ground coffee beans can, but now I'm getting the message [21:05:43] The cocoa would be destroyed.

Was this changed, or do I remember wrong, or is it a bug?

Yeah, you're remembering it wrong, unfortunately. It's weird that some processed foods can go in an FSB but others can't. I can store chopped veg but not mashed? Why dat? Pretty arbitrary if you ask me.

Don't ask me for the reasons. A while ago one could store diced and minced meat in FSB, than it was revoked. Still have a few in one FSB.

Hope you guys will be looking at ways to drain the water bar faster (maybe sitting near a forge or campfire?) . Afking in wurm just so my water bar can go down so I can max 100 power caffeine to do some chores isn't exactly fun gameplay. Just wasting electricity waiting for a blue bar to go down. 

Basically the update is now self contradictory in its intent vs its mechanics. 

The intent of the caffeine update is to give players who have less time to play a way to burn their SB and "catch up" so to speak, for example working folks who can only play during weekends. 

However the issue becomes self evident when the water bar goes down so slowly that you'd have to be logged in for an entire day to get it down to a reasonable level while also having to eliminate carbs from the CCFP bonus so your water goes down faster. So if the the update meant to give players a sort of trade-off boost for those who can't play a lot, that's entirely sabotaged by the slow water drain. A drain which forces people who don't have time to play to stay online for long enough for their water level to go down so their buff is of a decent power. 

See the issue? 

I hope you guys will find a way to balance this out. The idea of logging in an alt to bash me with a maul so I can vomit in order to drink coffee is hilarious...but also stupid :D

Edited by elentari

Is that a rumour, superstition, or did I get that right that water goes down faster near an oven? I often thought so.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Don't ask me for the reasons. A while ago one could store diced and minced meat in FSB, than it was revoked. Still have a few in one FSB.

imagine if we could store bread slices, toast and croutons in fsb 😱

10 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you get 8 hours of fatigue a day, caffeine uses it 4x faster, some actions use fatigue with no action timer like imping with the wrong tool so that's already <2 hours of grinding a day hitting fatigue, unless i'm missing something

Only thing you are missing is the current (since fix) near-impossibility of getting the 4x faster fatigue use . ... .because it is nearly impossible to drink the quantity needed now to get to 100 power.

Or , hear me out, make it so drinking coffee/ tea / whatever that gives caffeine buff isn't impeded by the water bar. In other words, remove that "you feel bloated and you can't drink anything else" mechanic for coffee. 

You need a minimum of 0.2 kg sips but you can take as many as you want. This way caffeine consumption is balanced while keeping the market open for coffee sellers while also not forcing people who don't have a lot of time to play to stay afk just so their water bar goes down. Just my two cents. But this needs patching in any case. 

17 hours ago, Glynflorel said:

Have you considered leaving 1g sips in while you do the rework?

I'm generally in favor of fixing this as it ruins any market for coffee, but I was hoping it would come at the same time as a change that would make coffee more useful for casuals. As a casual, right now we're back to a point where it feels like coffee is just not meant for me, as it feels impossible to get power up to meaningful levels and keep it there (for reasons described in many other posts already).

coffee market is impossible, you can get more than you can use or sell per day and if there was a chance to reach that limit, you can so easily kill the limit and keep doing what you're doing, marketing coffee is not possible unless we have heavy rng and 90% of the coffee cooks into trash ql, and somehow high ql is several times more amazing than it is currently, then the market will be there, then you'll curse just about anyone in your sight about bad rng etc.. 

Don't think that's reasonable change to ruin ql.. similar to randomness with cooking maple sap into syrup.

I'd just hope hunger gets a bump at some point, problem with it is there.. it's kind of the same.. cant eat once full.. and puking is a thing to workaround it, there are also the issues with traveling trough borders killing affinity information, icons sticking around, hunger bar filled or not.. meditation fills the bar randomly.. by tiny chance.. we have fasting if afk.. eating random stuff by misclicking them.. all that mess up what we use on daily basis from the cooking/ccfp/affinity content.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:11 PM, DevBlog said:

New: Players will now stop leading creatures when they are close to the server border.

I think it was necessary to resolve issues horses stuck on the very last tile of a server border.

The current solution perhaps needs some tweaking, now it seems too early to release the led horses. I keep losing them upon the first warning of leaving server, which is quite far from the server border. The issue is that there are servers, where you actually have to sail that lose to the border as the landmass is quite close to the edge (for example Exodus U17) and this change make it impossible or at least a big pain to bring and use horses on deeds at the server borders (at least three of such exist on the south servers).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaz said:

I think it was necessary to resolve issues horses stuck on the very last tile of a server border.

The current solution perhaps needs some tweaking, now it seems too early to release the led horses. I keep losing them upon the first warning of leaving server, which is quite far from the server border. The issue is that there are servers, where you actually have to sail that lose to the border as the landmass is quite close to the edge (for example Exodus U17) and this change make it impossible or at least a big pain to bring and use horses on deeds at the server borders (at least three of such exist on the south servers).

Thanks, will tweak it some more and make it happen closer to the server border.

• Like 4

moved to:

Edited by VirusMD
typos and another thought
  • Like 2

Bugfix: Fixed tree harvest timer.

btw, late YAY

Bugfix: Stopped the use of 1 per tile items if multiple are stacked up together on a tile

Just found out that this "bugfix" has terrible consequences.

Ok something I understand though it is crap: I had 2 beds in a single tile room for nearly 4 years, and it worked fine. The "bugfix" not only rendered both beds unusable "The area is too crowded .." blah, but even made it impossible to haul one of the beds down, same error text. I finally found out that I could haul a cart up and load the bed.

What is worse, it is not possible anymore to place a bed and a tapestry on the same tile. Before, it was a nice option to separate a one tile room by a tapestry with a bed in a corner. This decoration possibility has been destroyed by the "bugfix".

No idea whether it had any sensible reason.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Just found out that this "bugfix" has terrible consequences.

Ok something I understand though it is crap: I had 2 beds in a single tile room for nearly 4 years, and it worked fine. The "bugfix" not only rendered both beds unusable "The area is too crowded .." blah, but even made it impossible to haul one of the beds down, same error text. I finally found out that I could haul a cart up and load the bed.

What is worse, it is not possible anymore to place a bed and a tapestry on the same tile. Before, it was a nice option to separate a one tile room by a tapestry with a bed in a corner. This decoration possibility has been destroyed by the "bugfix".

No idea whether it had any sensible reason.

1 per tile items where always intended to be 1 per tile regardless of the methods people found to bypass this restriction. People where using it to stack items that gave benefits and really needed to be 1 per tile and that is where the fix came from. I will bring up for discussion the side effects you mentioned as that was not our intended goal.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Darklords said:

1 per tile items where always intended to be 1 per tile regardless of the methods people found to bypass this restriction. People where using it to stack items that gave benefits and really needed to be 1 per tile and that is where the fix came from. I will bring up for discussion the side effects you mentioned as that was not our intended goal.

In a lot of decorated rooms, it's the tapestry plus bed combo that's breaking beds. I can see why beds should be one per tile only - I hadn't clocked that it was possible to get around it, but why are tapestries that way? We can't use them to line both walls of a corridor either, and bedrooms are one of the few decorated spaces that people tend to want to put tapestries including in inns and taverns all over Wurm. Is there any scope for at least re-considering tapestries being part of this category? They don't provide any benefits except a little aesthetic customisation, and would avoid a significant amount of the broken bed issues players are going to log in and discover over the coming months, I think.

• Like 4

I must say that I am somewhat sad about the bed thing. When I built my small farmhouse, I had 2 tower like stories above the second floor. In the upper one was and is my bedroom, as a mayor overlooking the deed. On the story below, all 1 tile with ladder, there were the two beds of my citizens (ok alts), the space sufficed for the beds, and some small bookshelves, coffers, even a meditation rug. I am used to cramped spaces from my own youth, and from dwellings in Asia, Latin America and Africa where I lived and worked sometimes. Somehow I do not feel that such furnishing should be forbidden in Wurm. I fail to see any damage, exploit, or cheat by two beds on one tile.

• Like 1

We are discussing whether or not it makes sense for decorative items to be one-per-tile. I think the initial purpose of this restriction was somewhat confused: in some cases it was used to restrict things that provide certain effects (large planters, beds, etc). In other cases it was used as a means to indicate whether something was just "really big". The former is needed to balance the benefits of these items, but the latter seems a bit much.

• Like 6

In one hand there is the "restrict more planters cause it is imbalanced", in the other hand it is "Wurm is cool cause you can be creative with the mechanics". I remember in Vanilla wow, the most fun things was to pass thru places one should not be able to go (like find the path up the wall beside Orgrimmar to reach underneath, etc), etc. Wurm has many of these category things. It makes the game really cool! Maybe not all is needed, and some might be a bit too much. Just a very gentle note that I hope not all of these things will be "fixed". That said, it is also not needed to let all of them stay in game. A balance is good. And for us "creative" spirits, some flawed game mechanics is fun to play with (but yeah, remove the critical ones, no problem with that).

• Like 1

I cant even drink out of my oil barrel full of water because the space is too crowded 🤣

• Cat 1

Is there anything in particular that would be overpowered with more than 1 per tile?

For example, what makes having multiple large planters on one tile more OP than for example multiple stills? It's not like large planters with their high hard cap (70 carp), huge initial material cost to build, low yield gain from raking, more punishing withering timer, etc. is that overpowered, is it?

In simpler terms, why is this a thing? It limits creativity in game play

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 2

Yeah I don't really see what's overpowered about having more items per tile. Some people like to decorate their house or workshop in whatever style they want. Can't really see the "overpowered" issue here. It's just a matter of house design. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this