Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Meditation PvP Caps Review

As a PvP-pure player on Defiance for the last several months, I've always had qualms with the PvP <-> PvE transfer mechanics that causes this issue in the first place.  Having the ability to portal and grind skills up in a safe zone is unquestionably inconsistent with the fundamental reasons for why people would choose to main PvP in the first place.  That being said, being able to portal has been, is, and will likely remain a non-negotiable element of playing Wurm, so naturally we'll just have to lie in this bed we've made for ourselves.

If we're looking to start making decisions on med path elements, we're going to need to start cutting out the things that are unfortunate but don't really matter in the long run in order to make a proper decision here.  Someone who has utilized PoK on PvE is in large measure equivalent to someone who has simply been playing the game at normal skilling rates for a longer period of time.  The problems of skilling imbalance in relation to those who did not do this can thus be seen as somewhat on par with the classic "people who play a game sooner than other people are more powerful than newer players", which is usually best addressed in other games with (1) getting over it, (2) dampening the impact of higher-level skilling by design, or (3) succumbing to the scourge of arbitrary periods of "renormalizing".  Option 3 is insane; it's always for the benefit of newer players and a sharp slap in the face for older players.  Option 2 is almost always the most "fair" systemic way to manage these kinds of issues, but can be difficult to retrofit into an existing set of servers with history and not be met with pushback from the older player base who wishes to cling to that premium status of being a b0ss.  Option 1 is probably the simplest to implement, but we'll be right back here in several months to determine what is the proper way to start smoothing out the consequences of whatever action is taken.

With that laid out, from the perspective of one of "newer" players to Defiance who never took advantage of PoK on PvE, I would recommend unlocking all med paths AS THEY ARE at the start.  Carefully negotiate what balancing changes should be implemented, and perform a planned, progressive roll out of those committed changes across a few months to allow unintended consequences to be known and corrected.  This process shouldn't be dragged out any longer than 6-12 months, as mechanic balancing is inherently an impossible task.  Something will always be better than something else, always.  If that means that PoI remains the de facto PvP-geared path, then people who commit to that activity will simply have to adapt to that reality.  There's no need to make all paths PvP-relevant simply because they get implemented on a PvP server; it's the player's responsibility to determine which path to commit to, and whether or not they want that to mean they are dangerous in a PvP setting.  

Option 2 will always be available for implementation in the future if the developers and the community wish to make the commitment of making thing systemically fair and minimizing the new/under-skilled vs establish/well-skilled conundrum.

• Like 5

Or give defiance a flat 25% bonus to all skill gain as an incentive for living in a 'dangerous' server and just leave meditation as it is.

Edited by Zao
  • Like 4

Could we just get a word from someone as to whether or not they intend people to grind on the pve servers and then pop on the pvp servers every once in a while? Because it would be nice to know if that was the intention or not.

Do we have a Progress Report? I still find myself grinding on freedom :(

turn meditation into fishing so that people trying to get 70 will have fun

On 4/7/2022 at 8:36 AM, Pnutp said:

Do we have a Progress Report? I still find myself grinding on freedom :(

6 months plus now, you'd think some sort of decision would've been made by now.

keep the bonuses of the meditation paths as they are but reduce their effectiveness to a point that theyre negligible overall. no need for some OP boost. if people think meditation is pointless then good. now its a easy side grind that can be done at a more leisurely pace because a hypothetical 1%-5% boost isnt that big of a deal.

PLEASE can we just get POK already!!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Pnutp said:

PLEASE can we just get POK already!!

Yes please

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 12:33 AM, Trash said:

Yes please

please

Can we at least get some acknowledgment and an update... we have waited soooo long

• Like 1

While you're discussing what to do here, can you please at least turn the meditation bonuses back on as they were?  At least on Elevation.  I don't know how the NFI mechanics work, so I can't comment on them, but would be great not to have to head to home server just to meditate on Epic.

• Like 2

This is something I let fall through the cracks and I am extremely sorry for that, ill need a few days to look back on this and figure out what we can get done here to remedy the issues with the current meditation restrictions.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Darklords said:

This is something I let fall through the cracks and I am extremely sorry for that, ill need a few days to look back on this and figure out what we can get done here to remedy the issues with the current meditation restrictions.

Thanks for the update, Even if not a full rework can we just at least get the POK for all level 11. That way we don't need to do all of our grinding on freedom :( Look forward to further news :D Grats on the promotion

8 hours ago, Darklords said:

Thank you for your update, with the increased affinities and old ones often not leaving the game and access to sleep powder I can understand why finding a reasonable solution to this problem could be difficult, I do think that since sleep bonus became transferable between freedom and Defiance minimizes the gap between the two which could potentially make it a more difficult decision.

POK 11 for all paths keeps the "problematic" bonuses out, and keeps pvpers on the pvp server grinding. 

Simplest solution seems to be the best, no?

• Like 1

Just now, Synjor said:

POK 11 for all paths keeps the "problematic" bonuses out, and keeps pvpers on the pvp server grinding. 

Simplest solution seems to be the best, no?

I really do not see a negative to this option... seems like the most easiest solution with no negative impact

Does this apply to Epic? I personally do not want PoK 11 on Epic since I'm forced to skill on SFI to preserve my skills (given skillgain does not travel from Epic > SFI, but does travel from SFI > Epic).

On Epic it might be best to just leave as is, although I wouldn't mind SotG (as is) working on Elevation.

If there is going to be any issue here, please just leave things as they are on Epic.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, Mowglia said:

Does this apply to Epic? I personally do not want PoK 11 on Epic since I'm forced to skill on SFI to preserve my skills (given skillgain does not travel from Epic > SFI, but does travel from SFI > Epic).

On Epic it might be best to just leave as is, although I wouldn't mind SotG (as is) working on Elevation.

If there is going to be any issue here, please just leave things as they are on Epic.

This would likely be for defiance only to start what ever route we go unless there was a desire from people on epic to have this travel over. Will likely have an answer for everyone this weekend on this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Darklords said:

This would likely be for defiance only to start what ever route we go unless there was a desire from people on epic to have this travel over. Will likely have an answer for everyone this weekend on this.

Thanks. I suspect those on Epic would prefer no changes (except to have level 11 path ability enabled on Elevation), but they can speak for themselves :)

2 hours ago, Joemog said:

Excited to hear the plan for this one

same here