Sign in to follow this  
Mirowen

Uniques: Scale, Hide and blood, public and private.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:03 PM, Katrat said:

the one thing I do know about blood is that a band-aid is never a good fix for a hemorrhage.

And yet you seek a band-aid as a temporary solution until you find the better fix. Not literally a band-aid, but you work with what you have as you progress your way to a solution.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:28 PM, gnomegates said:

If the goal was to just have more bloods, the fix is simple, just have more public slayings

That is literally what this suggestion allows. If you're saying the fix should be that private slayers give up their greediness and host public slayings then that is not at all simple. Hindering any party involved is going to be problematic, however this suggestion doesn't hinder it only benefits everyone in the game.

It sounds like to some people that I've talked to that the private teams want more blood but not give up the real profit involved.

I think it's pretty reasonable for slayers to want more blood just as any person would. 

This does not seem like a fix to me, as the goal is to just flood the market with cheep bloods, not to actually make the content accessible to more players.

Correct this change has nothing to do with the "content" which I assume means allowing for players to participate more in the dragon system. This change is to allow EVERYONE to receive more blood. 

It does not help that it also appears that most those that are for this system are members of the most well known private team on NFI, including yourself Zuelatak, which at last look this team has killed near 50 uniques in 1 year.

I'm baffled that you see this as a negative. The most well known private slaying group saying that it would host public slayings for people to get blood at as long as they can keep the scale/hide that they already have to begin with should be a massive plus. 

But you won't do that as the profit for holding them private is to great.

Because as it is now the system encourages this behavior. You will NEVER see a change in behavior unless the system itself changes. So why not have a positive change that doesn't hinder that behavior?

On 12/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, Loneshade said:

while trying to flood the market with more blood that the same group of people will then benefit from, under the guise of doing it for the betterment of the public

I'm GENUINELY confused how this is coming off as a guise. This literally is for the betterment of the public. You and everyone else would get blood. If you chose to not sell that to the slaying team then they don't benefit from the change in the slightest besides their own alts. If you do choose to sell it to the slaying team then that doesn't make them anymore greedy. 

On 12/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, Loneshade said:

this suggestion is asking the dev team to add something to the game that will directly benefit those on the private teams.

This suggestion is asking the dev team to add something to the game that shouldn't hinder any parties involved and benefit all players

What is lost? Nothing.

What is gained? More blood in the game.

Edited by Zuelatak

12 minutes ago, Zuelatak said:

And yet you seek a band-aid as a temporary solution until you find the better fix. Not literally a band-aid, but you work with what you have as you progress your way to a solution.

No I don't seek a band-aid. There is no point in using an ineffective band-aid at all, as I said before I've given up on the journal because of the Unique/rift issues. I see no point in wasting my time on something that will never be truly fixed.

I don't think anyone in this thread (or the dozens of other threads) has argued that uniques are perfect and don't need any changes. The unique system is broken and needs a fix, but this just isn't the fix it needs. All this will do is allow for more bloods to be on the market, that is providing that private groups even make the slayings public. Would you be fighting so hard on this issue if you weren't in a private group?

And like I said previously, if private groups really cared about there being more bloods, then ever single humanoid would be public (not just on NFI but SFI as well)

Edited by brattygirl
  • Like 2

The solution is easy, as I said before, hold more public slayings if you want more bloods. There does not need to be a new mechanic added when bloods are not broken. 

Change in behavior can and does happen all the time, the fact that you need the devs to FORCE the change of behavior because your not willing to make the change yourself speaks volumes to the motivation behind this. You can fix the problem yourself but like I said, you won't, and nor do I think you should have to, unless you truly want there to be more bloods. There are many people who hold public slayings, they don't need the game to force a behavior upon them. They have their own reasons for doing so, same as you have your reasons to hold private ones. The whole system needs a rework, this is not even a Band-Aid, your just pushing the problem down the road. Because the day will come soon that everyone has the bloods that they want but still no access to the scale/hide and they will still want that and we are back to square one again.

If we are being honest here, it is always about the scale/hide. It is why there are such low turn outs to the humanoid slayings compared to dragons. You know this, everyone knows this, the issue as I can see it is that you are also hurting yourself by keeping such small amounts of blood private, making it take longer for everyone on your team to get the tools they want imbued. If it was only bloods that were rewarded all unique slayings would soon be like rifts, 20-30 people showing up and that is it.

I understand you wanting something changed / fixed, this idea is one that I just cannot get behind when the tools are already there for you to fix this yourself, you simply choose not to. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brattygirl said:

All this will do is allow for more bloods to be on the market, that is providing that private groups even make the slayings public. Would you be fighting so hard on this issue if you weren't in a private group?

Yeah of ###### course I'd be fighting for this. This will "allow for more bloods to be on the market". And it isn't "providing that private groups even make them public" THEY WILL. I've already said that it's guaranteed the #1 slaying group on NFI will host public slayings if this were to change. That means that at least 50% of private slayings would be made public. A HUGE step up from where we are now.

2 hours ago, gnomegates said:

The solution is easy, as I said before, hold more public slayings if you want more bloods. There does not need to be a new mechanic added when bloods are not broken. 

Refer to my previous post that addressed this already.

soon that everyone has the bloods that they want but still no access to the scale/hide and they will still want that and we are back to square one again.

Except that people now have bloods???????

your just pushing the problem down the road.

The 8 year whatever problem? Pretty sure it's already down the road. IDK why making this change would be pushing it any further. We can still have discussions for the next 8 years about how to make hide/scale public, but at least we'll have blood. 

If we are being honest here, it is always about the scale/hide. It is why there are such low turn outs to the humanoid slayings compared to dragons. You know this, everyone knows this, the issue as I can see it is that you are also hurting yourself by keeping such small amounts of blood private, making it take longer for everyone on your team to get the tools they want imbued. If it was only bloods that were rewarded all unique slayings would soon be like rifts, 20-30 people showing up and that is it.

I totally disagree. Drake/Scale is cool endgame equipment that is BARELY better than it's counterparts, but it doesn't contribute to any part of the game. Unless you're on PvP being able to handle yourself in combat is pretty god damn simple. Blood on the other hand plays a role in SO MANY skills. I don't doubt that after the 5th public dragon slaying there'd be less people showing up cause the market would have a stable supply of blood. That's the reason Humanoids are starting to be small. Cause we've had so many. The only reason the slaying team prefers to hurt themselves over providing more blood is because there's so much money in Drake/Scale (which is made public would never be the case), and probs cause it's a massive flex to have it. 

when the tools are already there for you to fix this yourself, you simply choose not to. 

Yes, those that spend several hours a day looking for uniques decide that they want to get the rewards from that effort. I wish we lived in an awesome selfless world where someone could spend 20+ hours a week to find a dragon and then get 1 blood and 0.01kg scale out of it because they chose to make it public. Instead of the 1 blood and 0.40kg of scale that they could've gotten from a private slaying which would easily cover the cost of their work. As I mentioned before your simple solution is demanding those that put in the work to give it away. That's just not an easy solution. I'm sorry.

What is lost? Nothing.

29 minutes ago, Zuelatak said:

50% of private slayings would be made public

again you are only looking at NFI. How would this benefit SFI? Or does that player base not matter?

1 hour ago, Zuelatak said:
4 hours ago, gnomegates said:

I totally disagree. Drake/Scale is cool endgame equipment that is BARELY better than it's counterparts, but it doesn't contribute to any part of the game. Unless you're on PvP being able to handle yourself in combat is pretty god damn simple. Blood on the other hand plays a role in SO MANY skills. I don't doubt that after the 5th public dragon slaying there'd be less people showing up cause the market would have a stable supply of blood. That's the reason Humanoids are starting to be small. Cause we've had so many. The only reason the slaying team prefers to hurt themselves over providing more blood is because there's so much money in Drake/Scale (which is made public would never be the case), and probs cause it's a massive flex to have it. 

Gotta say, literally the only thing I care about from slayings is the hide/scales. Why? Because it's the best looking armor in the game. Am I going to pay the insane prices for the hide/scales you have been hoarding? No, because I have a family to feed. Unless, since you're clearly so thirsty for blood, I've got two red dragon bloods I'll trade for a full set of dragon scale armor.

Not everyone cares about the bloods. I don't care about imbuing my tools as I play the game for fun, not mindlessly grinding skills and wasting thousands of resources.

Btw, Hide/Scales wouldn't be so expensive if no one wanted them.

3 hours ago, Zuelatak said:

totally disagree. Drake/Scale is cool endgame equipment that is BARELY better than it's counterparts, but it doesn't contribute to any part of the game. Unless you're on PvP being able to handle yourself in combat is pretty god damn simple. Blood on the other hand plays a role in SO MANY skills. I don't doubt that after the 5th public dragon slaying there'd be less people showing up cause the market would have a stable supply of blood. That's the reason Humanoids are starting to be small. Cause we've had so many. The only reason the slaying team prefers to hurt themselves over providing more blood is because there's so much money in Drake/Scale (which is made public would never be the case), and probs cause it's a massive flex to have it. 

Yes, as you say it is just cool endgame equipment that has no true function, yet you wish to keep it private and not let go of it because it does indeed generate an income and we all know that people like to have the best looking skins and gadgets in any game. One of the main reasons why games like fortnite and LoL make so much money cuz they keep giving people things that look cool to spend their money on. They are desired by many people and you know it and want to hold onto that because by doing so you maintain them being a certain value. All which is neither good or bad, I don't advocate for there being more hide or to make things easier for hide/scale. I've been very blessed in the game and can buy sets of armor many times over if I so desired. My point has always been about getting more people to the end game content to experience it because I believe that it will be good for the community and the game as a whole. What that end game content is I don't care, right now it is seen to be uniques so that is the focus.

3 hours ago, Zuelatak said:

Yes, those that spend several hours a day looking for uniques decide that they want to get the rewards from that effort. I wish we lived in an awesome selfless world where someone could spend 20+ hours a week to find a dragon and then get 1 blood and 0.01kg scale out of it because they chose to make it public. Instead of the 1 blood and 0.40kg of scale that they could've gotten from a private slaying which would easily cover the cost of their work. As I mentioned before your simple solution is demanding those that put in the work to give it away. That's just not an easy solution. I'm sorry.

And now you fall back on the same old excuse. I have never said and never will say that everyone should get rewards for someone else effort, that is foolish and backwards thinking. I'm not advocating for there to be more public hunts. I'm simply pointing out that there is already a solution that you choose not to use so you want the devs to give you another solution that benefits you more simply because you choose not to use the solution that is already there. I will never suggest that you should use that solution, from the view point of pure profit only a fool would make the unique slayings public. Some people are motivated by that profit, others don't care, neither is wrong. Your playing the game as it is designed to be played, that is great for you. 

If your goal was to simply suggest a method to get more bloods into the market for everyone to have access to, that system is already there. But that is not your goal, your goal is to get the blood out there while maintaining the control of the scale/hide. That is why I said that we need to be honest here. The motivation is not about bloods, if it was you would make the slayings public. Yes, at a great loss to those that put the effort and time in. That does not fall on deaf years, I fully understand after 12 years of playing this and WU both, the time and effort it takes to put together a unique hunt. its why I choose not to go hunting for them now myself anymore. If I ever find one again, yes I will make it public, because I also am of the thought that creating good will within the community goes much further then the fleeting gains of a private hunt. And don't get me wrong, for me it is always about the experience. I can care less about the hide/scale, if I cared about that, I would have joined the teams when I have been asked. 

At the end of the day there is no easy solution to fixing uniques, I simply don't agree with the suggestion being made that this is a fix. 

As a side note, my simple solution is not "demanding" anything, and I know it is not easy, but it the solution that is already there, you just don't like it so you want it changed to what will still benefit you the most. I can think of many more things that the Dev team could focus on then making a new solution to a player made problem that has a solution, even if undesired by a very select few people on the private teams.

Edited by gnomegates
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 7:01 PM, brattygirl said:

again you are only looking at NFI. How would this benefit SFI? Or does that player base not matter?

Again, I don't have any relation to SFI so I can't speak for it. I've already discussed how this would benefit SFI in the same way that it benefits NFI. AND how it shouldn't matter how it benefits SFI if it doesn't hurt it either which there's no reason it should. Therefore, in my mind SFI is completely irrelevant to this discussion. It either benefits it or doesn't, but it doesn't harm it. I don't know who runs the private slayings on SFI, so I can't get their word that they'd also host public slayings.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:00 PM, Kellen said:

Unless, since you're clearly so thirsty for blood

Why does this suddenly have to do with me? I haven't played the game like at all in the past 6 months. I'm just advocating for a change that I believe will make an easy massive impact on the way slayings work without disrupting anyone. 

I don't care about imbuing my tools as I play the game for fun, not mindlessly grinding skills and wasting thousands of resources.

Great, but you don't speak for everyone. I'm so positive that there are plenty of people who wish there was more blood and that it was cheaper.

Gotta say, literally the only thing I care about from slayings is the hide/scales.

Well guess what? Saying no to this change isn't gonna change that. They already control the hide/scale, so why can't you be happy with a positive step like this that provides blood. 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, gnomegates said:

And now you fall back on the same old excuse. I have never said and never will say that everyone should get rewards for someone else effort, that is foolish and backwards thinking.

The motivation is not about bloods, if it was you would make the slayings public. Yes, at a great loss to those that put the effort and time in. That does not fall on deaf years, I fully understand after 12 years of playing this and WU both, the time and effort it takes to put together a unique hunt. its why I choose not to go hunting for them now myself anymore.

These sound contradictory to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding things? You aren't advocating for people to give up their work, but if they want the issue to be solved your solution is for them to give up their work?

As a side note, my simple solution is not "demanding" anything

The demand is that those that do the work need to give up the reward.

so you want it changed to what will still benefit you the most

I want it changed so that no party loses anything and that there is only gains. By doing so it should be easy to get both parties to agree on said change. Otherwise, we're just going to be fighting back and forth like the past million threads. THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL THE HIDE/SCALE AND BLOOD. REMOVING THE BLOOD FROM THE EQUATION SHOULD BE A GOOD THING.

I can think of many more things that the Dev team could focus on then making a new solution to a player made problem that has a solution, even if undesired by a very select few people on the private teams.

It isn't a player made problem though. We already both agreed that the game encourages private slayings. Mechanically and by the word of the devs. Your solution should be undesired by most of the private teams, because it means giving up their work and losing all their reward. 

What is lost? Nothing.

Once again: The blood shortage on NFi will go away once the cluster barrier is lifted.

40 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Once again: The blood shortage on NFi will go away once the cluster barrier is lifted.

and once again: then the shortage on WFI will begin.

8 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

and once again: then the shortage on WFI will begin.

Nonsense again. Nothing will be hurt on NFI than the profiteers of the shortage, whole of Wurm will benefit.

Prices of normal stuff on NFI have dropped a lot and are still in decline. But unless NFI population, which is now largely at par with SFI, drops further to a third or a fourth of what it is now, shortage on unique materials will persist.

That said, the pain of the blockade is on NFIers mainly. I can, if I choose so, visit 7 (8) Freedom (in case I ever choose to visit Chaos), and 4 Epic servers. I do not really miss NFI though I would like to sail their seas as a visitor. NFIers lack access to a whole world with wonders and a great and long history.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Nonsense again. Nothing will be hurt on NFI than the profiteers of the shortage, whole of Wurm will benefit.

Prices of normal stuff on NFI have dropped a lot and are still in decline. But unless NFI population, which is now largely at par with SFI, drops further to a third or a fourth of what it is now, shortage on unique materials will persist.

That said, the pain of the blockade is on NFIers mainly. I can, if I choose so, visit 7 (8) Freedom (in case I ever choose to visit Chaos), and 4 Epic servers. I do not really miss NFI though I would like to sail their seas as a visitor. NFIers lack access to a whole world with wonders and a great and long history.

having a script that you paste over and over no matter what people say doesnt make you right it just makes you look silly.

nothing you say there responds to what i said. how is merging NFI and SFI going to benefit you when "the same old greedy veterans"  leave to go to the new Western freedom isles cluster? how is new players being directed there going to help others?

not having access to "a great and long history" of windows of opportunity is the reason me and others came back to play on nfi.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

not having access to "a great and long history" of windows of opportunity is the reason me and others came back to play on nfi.

at least they keep making more and more windows so newer players can enjoy them, i can't really think of anything that's anywhere as impactful as caffeine or 10 link channelling grinding in the past, maybe imping locks?

15 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

having a script that you paste over and over no matter what people say doesnt make you right it just makes you look silly.

but you keep posting that merging nfi and sfi will make them release another cluster :thinking:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tpikol said:

No. I do not need a script, and my writings are not pasting at all, re-read theml. Are you getting bit hysterical and start insulting?

2 hours ago, Tpikol said:

nothing you say there responds to what i said. how is merging NFI and SFI going to benefit you when "the same old greedy veterans"  leave to go to the new Western freedom isles cluster? how is new players being directed there going to help others?

I tried to find the term "greedy old veterans" everywhere in the thread, and in fact I have not used it anywhere to the best of my knowledge, and did not find it used by anyone else. Sounds like sort of bad conscience from your side.

I do not blame people playing a sandbox game by their own motives. If dominance over an overpriced market of a crowd of inexperienced new players was "the reason .. [you] and others came back to play on nfi", it was of course as legitimate as any other reason.

But the opportunity is gone. The crowd is shrinking in droves, partially just because they left, or rose in experience so that they have less need of overpriced tools and materials (that is why NFI prices are still falling, so is grey market exchange rate of NFI-SFI silvers).

The real newcomers are locked in a shrinking community on three small servers, and not all are happy about. The veterans, greedy or not, may anytime go back to their high level SFI alts. That is why your rants are hypocrisy.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

I tried to find the term "greedy old veterans" everywhere in the thread, and in fact I have not used it anywhere to the best of my knowledge, and did not find it used by anyone else. Sounds like sort of bad conscience from your side.

oh excuse you didn't use those exact words, you used different words to say exactly the same thing, that's so different.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

I do not blame people playing a sandbox game by their own motives. If dominance over an overpriced market of a crowd of inexperienced new players was "the reason .. [you] and others came back to play on nfi", it was of course as legitimate as any other reason.

it isnt, thats why i opposed this suggestion.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

But the opportunity is gone. The crowd is shrinking in droves, partially just because they left, or rose in experience so that they have less need of overpriced tools and materials (that is why NFI prices are still falling, so is grey market exchange rate of NFI-SFI silvers).

i dont dominate any markets and never have, (at least i never have on NFI. maybe you could make a case that i did on SFI a long time ago if you cared to try.)

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

The real newcomers are locked in a shrinking community on three small servers, and not all are happy about. The veterans, greedy or not, may anytime go back to their high level SFI alts. That is why your rants are hypocrisy.

i dont own any sfi accounts so where is the hipocrisy in what im saying? can you explain that?.

go on ignoring that i was gone for 10 months after NFIs opening and since i came back im one of the people lowering prices, not because people cant pay them,but because they are insanely high.

keep imagining me as a monster for you to hate if that makes you happy.

is this another thread hijacked by players crying over "veterans" and stuff? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

go on ignoring that i was gone for 10 months after NFIs opening and since i came back im one of the people lowering prices, not because people cant pay them,but because they are insanely high.

You are taking all that stuff far too personal. I do not know where you played before, but "I came back" did not sound as if you came to NFI as an absolute Wurm newbie. If that is wrong, so what. Just re-read "I do not blame people playing a sandbox game by their own motives." Whatever yours, they are no less legitimate than everyone else's.

22 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

keep imagining me as a monster for you to hate if that makes you happy.

Drama queen, how should I hate you. I do not know you, never met you.

15 minutes ago, Madnath said:

is this another thread hijacked by players crying over "veterans" and stuff? 

yes

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

That is why your rants are hypocrisy.

13 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

You are taking all that stuff far too personal.

still waiting to hear how i am a hypocrite in a non personal way.

Edited by Tpikol

54 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

still waiting to hear how i am a hypocrite in a non personal way.

You claim that you are a completely fresh player who only took a 10 months leave from NFI having come back lately. That may be, and does not really interest me. In that case, you are not one who can visit the whole world of Wurm, at least not without creating a brandnew account. In that case your rants are not hypocrisy, but only nonsense. But if that does not apply to you, why are you getting crazy about?

14 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

You claim that you are a completely fresh player who only took a 10 months leave from NFI having come back lately. That may be, and does not really interest me. In that case, you are not one who can visit the whole world of Wurm, at least not without creating a brandnew account. In that case your rants are not hypocrisy, but only nonsense. But if that does not apply to you, why are you getting crazy about?

who says im a fresh player? you just keep talking nonsense and then avoiding answering anything.i took 10 months break from Nfi and 5 years from wurm before that, but i lived in all "sfi" pve servers except pristine and release but i also dont own any accounts on SFI anymore, you dont seem to understand that both of those things can be true at the same time.

18 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

why are you getting crazy about?

19 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

In that case your rants are not hypocrisy, but only nonsense

or maybe and this may sound like a crazy idea, but maybe, just maybe you are wrong and i know because i lived trough servers merging before and i seen this same arguments and then seen what happened after the mergers over and over and over again, and every other time the people making your same argument were wrong, but maybe this time it will be diferent.

Note that all this has not so much to do with the topic, except my argument that shortage of unique materials will persist unless the cluster blockade is lifted.

And stop all those personal and ad hominem rants. To say a statement is foolish does not say that the one stating is a fool, to say a statement is hypocrisy does not make one a hypocrite in general, and I never intended to say that. Try to stick to rational arguments.

A rational argument is that NFI is stagnating, and while some troubles like overpriced items may go away, unique problems won't, even if all slayings were held publicly. And that is not likely at all. Public slayings even tend to slow down slaying as they need a fix date, best on weekends, need organization (thank the deities we have Stanlee 😎 ).

if NFI is stagnating then all of wurm is, and maybe that is the case but the bottom line is past experience tells us that a merger will mean will mean more new servers, which will make things even worse. and i think you would agree that if a merger means a new cluster will open that wont fix  the problem.

and back to the topic, the bottom line  is that we both agree that this suggestion is a bad idea, even if we have different ideas about how to solve the issue.

Edited by Tpikol

The stagnation if not decline exists on NFI in particular, if not solely. See here (data until October, SFI has gone up a bit since, NFI not).

JfdZUML.png

Assuming that a merge will result in other new servers or cluster does not follow. The decision to create new servers during the steam launch was well justified. Creating ever more ones hoping for a new land rush would not be. And it is nowhere to see that the devs or the company are planning something like that which would not be a good idea imho. That has nothing to do with NFI.

11 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

The decision to create new servers during the steam launch was well justified. Creating ever more ones hoping for a new land rush would not be. And it is nowhere to see that the devs or the company are planning something like that which would not be a good idea imho. That has nothing to do with NFI.

im not talking about the steam launch, im talking about every new server opening since exodus, including celebration, epic, the "pristine and release cluster",xanadu, right before all of those this same discussions about how it makes no sense to open more servers happened. and it didn't stop it because it works, opening new servers does bring people back, even if its bad in the long term.

i hope you are right and they dont just open more new servers  but i bet they will. i said that a few times before and so far been right.

Edited by Tpikol