Sign in to follow this  
MrKettle

Once again take out Child from animal names

I am going to start this off by saying I will not argue with anyone about this if you reply, last time people just went off about things that had nothing to do with this okay.  

Just take it out of the game, my first inappropriate horse name was Childfantasy now I got a Childlei, I get that some people might not be offended by that but I would really appreciate not having animals with ######philic names.  You could argue the first one wasn't so bad but childlei is just a really bad look, and yes I get that the spelling is different but c'mon...

• Like 4

What does "lei" mean? Other than that flower thing they give you at the airport in Hawaii.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Ajala said:

What does "lei" mean? Other than that flower thing they give you at the airport in Hawaii.

refer to this

2 hours ago, MrKettle said:

and yes I get that the spelling is different but c'mon...

Just now, MrKettle said:

refer to this

Oh, for pity's sake. I'm the person who invited everyone to a Donkey Show at Qdlaty's place after the AH update, and even my mind didn't go there.

• Like 6

I have too wonder MrKettle why you keep finding offensive meanings in names that contain child?

• Like 5

I for one think Child Fantasy is a fitting name for a horse. kids like horses. But I can see the obtuse interpretation. Child Lei just doesn't make any sense but many horse names don't. Again I can see what you mean here too, after pointing it out.

System generated names are going to occasionally include some unintended/undesired results. I'd be all for refining the word bank if it came to that but maybe a better approach would be to 'red list' name as they are discovered so they can't be used again. And provide a rename request if the name violates current naming convention policy. 

Edited by bigtree
  • Like 2

I don't see how the word Child is offensive.. there's not a lot a horse name can be used to promote something obscene as you are implying. In all my years of playing wurm I've never made a connection... honestly i think your just looking for things to complain about.

Next itll be about how wurm promotes animal cruelty 🙄

Edited by Crack
  • Like 6

I think that MrKettle made very bold assumption but yeah, some strange combinations of names could just be put on the red list, instead of removing "child" completely.

• Like 2

i dont think thats offensive anymore than my venerable "rockhard" used to be but im all for adding new words to horse names.

if this really offends some people i dont care enough about it to defend keeping it.

Edited by Tpikol

3 hours ago, Katrat said:

I have too wonder MrKettle why you keep finding offensive meanings in names that contain child?

I'm not going to argue with you because it's pointless, I said what I said, I stand by it, you aren't adding anything to the conversation by trying to make me seem like a creep in a straw man.  That goes for everyone else who isn't actually adding anything useful to this conversation so please grow up.

21 minutes ago, MrKettle said:

adding anything useful to this conversation

3 hours ago, Ajala said:

Bonechild

Childchaser

Childfighter

Flashchild

Hardchild

Childhunting

Jackchild

Kisschild

Childkicker

16 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

just kill the horse if the name upsets you lol

Win win win! 

Plenty more horses in the sea just waiting to be born. 

Either that or allow the option to rename creatures with a scroll or when having them be cared for or something.  Unless that is already a thing? 

Edited by Zexos

There is an option to rename cared for domestic creatures, namely the nameplate. As to the examples Ajala gave, I could imagine some of them being blacklisted if any of them ever occurred, others not so much. None of them is a real scandal, much less obscene or whatever, irritating, yes. Still I consider the point MrKettle makes a weird one. *)

Granted there are terrible names. I have a beautiful ebony female named Fleaocean 😎, not that I have the impression that she cares a lot.

*) Edit: As to "Childkicker", a friend had a horse, a white mare, who really hated children, she tried to bite or kick them indeed.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

I had a horse with "Flea" in the name as well and actually found it quite fitting considering it possessed a few bad traits. I also have a few horses with "sad" in their names, which is a moniker that I'm not fond of at all, however I'm not going to demand it be removed from everyone's list. If every word that offended a person was removed I doubt there would be any left.

2 hours ago, MrKettle said:

I'm not going to argue with you because it's pointless, I said what I said, I stand by it, you aren't adding anything to the conversation by trying to make me seem like a creep in a straw man.  That goes for everyone else who isn't actually adding anything useful to this conversation so please grow up.

With the connections and implications of combined words that you make you do creep me out!

• Like 1

Once again i'll add my strong disaproval and instead of telling people to grow up you could do the same and be less agressive when asking for something.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Once again i'll add my strong disaproval and instead of telling people to grow up you could do the same and be less agressive when asking for something.

I have people making personal attacks on me, if me telling them to grow up bothers you then I don't know what to tell you man, most people wouldn't be as polite as I am being right now.  One person in these comments said homophobic things to me in game so that person I really don't take any stock in things they say and almost expect them to act like that based on their past behaviour but the others I do not even know or have randomly harassed me in the past.  At this point I would like to get a mod to close this because this is pointless and I don't feel like spending energy defending myself to people who are serial harassers. 

May I add that some people have had bad pasts and don't see things as innocently as others do anymore? Perhaps look at both sides of the coin instead of saying yours is the right side. 

• Like 4

You are very quick to argue for someone who keeps saying they wont argue.

Id support removing Lei and Xo because i dont believe they blend into the game but not child.

@Kingspongesome people with bad pasts can still look at things without twisting them into something dirty too. People are allowed to have opinions without any side of a coin being right or wrong. 

7 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

@Kingspongesome people with bad pasts can still look at things without twisting them into something dirty too. People are allowed to have opinions without any side of a coin being right or wrong. 

If you want to have an intelligent conversation about this I would love to explain to you what that comment actually meant and how you missed the whole point of it and just jumped to being problematic.

• Like 2

If we are gonna remove all names that offend people I also want to remove the combo Kisspick, it means pee+penis in swedish.

We already banned the simple and very common word in swedish: ######, that means end, the end, finished.

Seriously, if we all are gonna get offended over namecombos, then we might just as well skip names all in all.
And no, I never reported horsenames that offended me.
I had several that were totally wrong for a swede.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Zexos said:

Win win win! 

Plenty more horses in the sea just waiting to be born. 

Either that or allow the option to rename creatures with a scroll or when having them be cared for or something.  Unless that is already a thing? 

- I believe this is already a thing, I think that is what name plates do which can be purchased with marks, though I've never tried it since coming back to wurm. Id assume so as we have a field of Bison named after one of our group.

Honestly this topic needs closing, its clearly an extremely toxic subject and is only going to stir the pot.

If people are found to be abusing these horse names then they should definitely be removed and im sure the entire community would agree however this appears to not be the case and I don't see how the horses could be used to cause actual direct offense to anyone (if this is not the case you should contact a GM immediately and raise a ticket and provide evidence, the GM team have always been fair and helpful when I've dealt with them in the past).

Edited by Crack
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Katrat said:

Personally I don't care about this issue, but I can certainly understand why someone else would.  I don't know MrKettle from a hole in the wall but ffs, leave them alone!  If you disagree with the suggestion, just say so and be done with it.  Enough with the personal attacks and insinuations!  It's frickin shameful.

• Like 3