Sign in to follow this  
Homestead

Disease changed?

The past few days I have animals that stay diseased -  the entire pasture is enchanted grass.

In the past, disease goes away on its own.

The past few days, once diseased, they stay diseased. Periodic grooming, isolation pen (also with enchanted grass).

And now 2 or 3 a day are dying.

Edited by Homestead

4 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

What is your deed tile:animal ratio like?

It has been better than 17 for the past 2 days.

At this moment, right after another one died, "The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 17.302326. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure." 

Always better than 15 tiles per animal - and usually better than 16. Because I noticed that with the big AH patch '15' is not it anymore. They start dying when they get much below 16.

The last few days, even with better than 16, they are dying.

Another 2 died since posting 6 hours ago.

I know it is from disease.

But that they have started dropping so fast when nothing else has changed on the deed,......

And, yes, I know I 'could' build 100 1x1 pens instead of my pastures to keep them from piling up on the fences and getting disease, even though they have plenty of open tiles in the center......

But.... no. I don't find that attractive at all.   If that is the option, it isn't really an option. I'll just stop breeding and start culling.

It just makes no sense to me to program movement that piles them up on the fences and in the corners, then program them to become diseased and die because of that programming.

All the disease animals I put in isolation pens, 2x1's with enchanted grass, and groomed at least twice during the day, are still diseased today.

None dead today though. Yet.

Another dead just now.

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 18.072874. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure.

Not breeding any more horses until this stops.

And another.

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 18.146341. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There are 189 creatures currently branded.

Stopped for a few days. Two more today.

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 18.756302. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There are 183 creatures currently branded.

Have not bred any more.

I'm done with it until something is fixed.

And another today.

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 19.076923. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There are 180 creatures currently branded.

I stopped breeding.  Spent the day wandering the server.

Sure enough, any place that has more than a few animals looks like grid paper. Ugly.

I like natural looking pastures. Not going to do that just to get around a poorly envisioned mechanic.

When I looked at my pens this morning, in the strips along the sides of one, there were two tiles out of six that had 4 or more animals on a tile - on 3 of the 4 sides.

While the 4x4 in the center had a total of 5 animals spread across the 16 tiles.

Though I still say something changed last week.  I've had more animals on the deed and many more in these pens for months with no problem.

Perhaps it is that enchanted grass broke. When they become diseased they stay disease for much longer, even when isolated in 1x2 pens.

At any rate, I'm done breeding horses. Not going to fight it.

Hopefully I find something else to hold my interest.

Not that it really matters since it is obvious that large pastures are not desired in Wurm and whatever changed was either intentional or will be ignored, but....

Yet another dead.

I've never had so few animals in these pastures.  Yet they have started dying from disease regularly.

Something changed.

An illustration of poor design decisions.

All that empty space in the center.

In the piles of ponies on the right, one tile has 5 horses,  another has 4, another has 3.

Coding designed to pile them up no matter the size of the enclosure is one thing.

But then coding to kill them when they do what the coding is designed to have them do is wrong.

RfUMAfw.jpg

Edited by Homestead
Further clarification