Sign in to follow this  
Stanlee

The Grand Ritual Spell Cast List

As someone who frequently finds himself being told about ritual spells ready to cast, I run into a frequent issue: I want to ask around for people who need to be in on a Ritual Spell (it's needed for Benediction, after all) BUT I also don't want it sniped from under me when I do so, by people who might not even need the goal (this has happened).

Previous attempts at this have been made - such as an old thread under the Xanadu subforum - and this seeks to be a list with more visibility, and more use. And self-updating.

There's instructions inside for those who wish to do the Benediction task, those who wish to get a ritual cast, and those who want to help maintain this list.

Do not ask to have your names added or removed in this thread - refer to the List for details

--> Behold! The list! Click here! <--

The online Priestopedia that ANYONE verified can edit!

This solution is far from perfect. If someone wants to help me develop something better, these issues need solving:

1) Names are not auto-removed, meaning people who put a name up then go inactive will linger in that list forever.

2) I now get phone notifications every time someone wants to request edit permissions.

If this list is vandalized again, it will be removed without hesitation.

Edited by Stanlee
  • Like 16

Excellent effort Stan! Very helpful for so many folks.

Thanks a bunch, Stanlee. I put my priest on the list, let's see how this works out.

Unfortunately, this has already been vandalized (caught in a few minutes due to phone notification).

The version has been reverted to before the vandalism, and the sheet locked.

Alternate solutions need to be sought.

Edited by Stanlee

appreciate the great overture  and effort at a solution.  unfortunate already vandalized, precisely part of what necessitated this creation, people deliberately sniping and undermining the spirit of group effort from community towards individual goals

if Players can't solve this ,  perhaps Devs will take note here and remedy the  issue with a reasonable solution

• Like 2

Best I can think of is, with apologies to the person(s) responsible for updating the list, would be to make the list publicly VISIBLE, but only editable by a select few people (staff and/or players).  People can then reply a specific thread or PM those responsible to have themselves added, organizers can send the list of names that can be removed in the same fashion.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Best I can think of is, with apologies to the person(s) responsible for updating the list, would be to make the list publicly VISIBLE, but only editable by a select few people (staff and/or players).  People can then reply a specific thread or PM those responsible to have themselves added, organizers can send the list of names that can be removed in the same fashion.

The issue would then be people not bothering to say if they have it done or not. There's no real way for us to see links without being at the cast site or being told. And even then, being told by someone who isn't that person opens the possibility of lies.

11 hours ago, Stanlee said:

Unfortunately, this has already been vandalized (caught in a few minutes due to phone notification).

Yeah, I had already deleted a picture or two off the list.. Shame that this cannot work by trusting the players..

11 hours ago, Stanlee said:

Unbelievable. Some people are just so far beyond saving :mellow:

Such a shame :( The only way I can think of would be pretty much the way most of the community maps are maintained, an individual or group of trusted folks get permissions on editing the list, players ask on this thread to be added or removed (and only that player, not another player saying they saw/know that person got the ritual done). Not perfect of course and yes folks who agree to help with this have to be able to put some time on the effort to update occasionally but it doesn't have to be a massive job. Yes folks will forget to ask to have their names removed when done, but then they will have to cope with getting messaged every time there is a cast, which  hopefully will remind them to do so :)

• Like 1

Said it before in other conversations and will say it again. Goals or quests that require community participation in any game but that can be sabotaged by only 1 player will never be good game design. Case in point, any player with enough alts can sabotage this journal goal or he can by simple ignorance, not announce a cast and leave people angry and dissapointed. 

Instead of "fixing human behavior" which honestly after the events of the past couple of years, it's pretty clear there's a significant amount of selfish trashy people out there, we should fix the design of the goal itself. I am not a priest nor do I intend to do that particular global cast goal but it relies on the good will of people whilst simultaneously it can be ruined by 1 selfish as*****. 

It's like those games where at the end of a dungeon or raid, the game design allows one player to ninja loot all the rewards leaving dozens of people dismayed by his behavior. Selfishness aside, this needs to be solved by designing systems so they can't be sabotaged by greed or self interest. 

This goal relies too much on the (wrong) assumption that all players will find a way to cooperate when it's clearly not the case else the recent conversations in gchat or this thread would have never happened. 

Fix the goal, you can't fix the players. 

P.S. I'm not bashing OP's attempt to organize this journal goal. I'm simply pointing out, like the hundreds of players before me, that this is a goal that should have never existed in the first place. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 5

Ranting about the goal is misleading. To ninja the global spell proper it needs more than one high faith priest, like Yellowfinger and his gang. To vandalize a publicly accessible list it does take exactly one idiot. And so far we do not have any evidence that it was even an active player, may as well be one of the vengeful scum raging on steam against Wurm.

It should not be too complicated to let a few trusted players maintain the list.

@Keenanhow about posting the caster and linkers to Twitter?

This would allow either myself (since I was mentioning the flaws with the previous list but a willingness to do it) or Stanlee (since he's tried to do it with this thread) to manually approve or tick off people as and when the casts are done.

That way, we'd make sure the list is up to date, relevant and people aren't just lingering on it for months after getting the cast done

"Stanlee casts rite of spring" + whatever at the end

"Aided by X, Y, Z" in a separate tweet made after

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Madnath said:

This would allow either myself (since I was mentioning the flaws with the previous list but a willingness to do it) or Stanlee (since he's tried to do it with this thread) to manually approve or tick off people as and when the casts are done.

That way, we'd make sure the list is up to date, relevant and people aren't just lingering on it for months after getting the cast done

I think a review of the goal would be a better use of our time. I'm not sure if we have a full list of names easily at that point, but I do know that it's fairly easy to modify a journal goal. The main concern I have with modifying this one is that it needs to be replaced with something appropriate, not removed entirely. There are probably suggestions out there that I haven't seen yet, maybe even in this thread as I only took a scan through and noted Elentari's plea to have it removed. I also don't want this thread turning into a feature discussion, but I feel one is needed for this, so be on the watch for that. I'm going to talk to the rest of the dev team on this before making a post.

• Like 7

While a feature discussion may be not on the right place here, I must say that I do not appreciate a removal of global spell from the journal. I participated in five global spells for benediction, 3 for each of my priests, two where one of my priests assisted by summoning, or because it was not clear from start that there would be enough faith for the global spell (it was without him, in the end, but he could help with summons).

Each of those five mini events was a pleasant experience of cooperation between players. I fail to see where that can be easily replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

A good idea and a nice bit of QOL for such a list, but I think for any list that has some level of automation, this issue is self-solving: any system that automatically removes people from such a list (as to cull those who have quit the game, rather than letting them linger forever) will treat those that forget to de-list the same way.

Also please keep discussion about issues with the task/journal to other places, such as the Suggestions forum. As Keenan highlighted, it's a good and necessary discussion (I personally believe each journal task should have 2 more goals, but still require the same number to complete: so you can pick which 2 tasks are bad for you. People complain about the 100 rifts but personally I'm at 1% of 100,000 imps. This lets tasks like this one actually stay, rather than being removed) but I want this thread to be about dealing with what we have, rather than seeking to change it - so long as we still have it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stanlee said:

but personally I'm at 1% of 100,000 imps

I took my Freedom priest to Epic and worked through/completed this goal as a non-priest.  I see you are no stranger to Desertion, so this goal shouldn't be a problem.  Though, if you need woa tools and a place to work, let me know.

Edited by Galatyn

My suggestion is for there to be a long 6 real life month cooldown before being able to participate in a rite cast again.  The same mechanic is already in place for PVP champions.  Maybe even extend it up to 12 real life months.

8 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

My suggestion is for there to be a long 6 real life month cooldown before being able to participate in a rite cast again.  The same mechanic is already in place for PVP champions.  Maybe even extend it up to 12 real life months.

Issue is, that'd impact people who are being used to top up favour, or carrying lower end channeling accounts through the cast on a better account leading it

Another Benediction goal is to reach 90 faith, which is almost 1/3 of the cast.  Also, I know the goals don't have to be completed fully linearly, though there is some dependency/intention involved as if Approbation should be completed before Benediction.  For example Approbation needs 70 faith, while Benediction needs 90 faith.  That being said, Approbation has a 50 channeling goal, which would provide 6 links, plenty needed to cast.  This encourages at least one of the priests to have at least completed this goal.  Conversely, if casting the Rite goal is just expecting a new priest with low faith and channeling a free completion, then maybe it shouldn't be an end-game Benediction goal, but rather in Dedication instead.

I think this would create more community public communication for casting help, as the people who would so readily snipe it would be in cooldown.

Edited by Galatyn

Hey Stan, can we remove Lucidia, Ryuugi, Inari, and Gaspacho from the list please? They got the global cast done. Gaspacho is on there twice somehow :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mowglia said:

Hey Stan, can we remove Lucidia, Ryuugi, Inari, and Gaspacho from the list please? They got the global cast done. Gaspacho is on there twice somehow :P

It is done, but (not as a criticism of you or this post) this is exactly what I wanted to avoid - a sprawling thread of names to add or remove until I get tired of doing so.

I have updated the sheet to reflect a new approach to this, and will soon be editing the OP as well.