Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: A look at the QoL Update

VI_nov_teaandcoffee.png

Hello Wurmians, and welcome to another issue of the Valrei International! It’s been a whirlwind of a month or so between the shift in Product Management, the QoL update late last month, and the Halloween and skill gain events that are just coming to a close. I for one am ready to settle down with a nice new cup of tea, reflect over the last few weeks, and settle back into my usual more relaxed play style, how about you?

While there’s not a whole lot of news in this issue, I  wanted to talk about some of the great things added and changed in the last update. There was an overwhelmingly long list of patch notes, and a lot of support from many of you with the sheer amount of work involved in bringing about these fixes and updates. Let’s take a look at a few of them, shall we?

WurmForumDivider_Plain.png

WurmOnline_HalloweenUpdate_2021_CoffeTea

One new thing we seem to all have enjoyed so far is the addition of caffeine. With its ability to help with skill gain, many players took advantage of its benefits to make the most of their grinding time during the skillgain event. Not to mention how lovely the new accessories that came along with coffee and tea look, and how many new decor options they bring to the Wurmian’s table!

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

Along with coffee and tea, there have been a lot of QoL updates to animal husbandry, including additional information in the Inspect Animal window. Among these changes are the addition of the rarity color to rare traits in the window, the separation of different resources that can be harvested from an animal, and an estimate on how long it will be until a pregnant animal gives birth.

VI_nov_new_animal_changes.png

Chickens will also now lay eggs on several new tile types!

The trait “It has a chance to produce twins” has also been fixed so that only female animals are capable of having this trait, since they are the only ones able to benefit from it.

WurmOnline_HalloweenUpdate_2021_BugTwins

A long awaited fix is for donkeys to be able to pull carts and wagons, and many more kinds of creatures can now be hitched to hitching posts.

VI_Nov_hitcheddonkies.png

Another thing that has made many players happy is the fix for guards getting stuck in mines, or not always coming when called. There are also three new ways to call the guards, which will hopefully help players who need some assistance receive it swiftly.

WurmOnline_HalloweenUpdate_2021_BugGuard

We have all fallen victim to occasional laziness from the guards at one point or another!

To be honest, if I were to cover all of the changes we would end up with a novel instead of just a Valrei International. You can check out the full list of patch notes here.

I also wanted to remind players who’ve been around for quite some time that Malena is looking for images, videos, and interesting memories and stories from Wurmian history to be included in a celebration of 15 years of Wurm Online. You can find more detailed information on what Malena is looking for by checking out the posts below:

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Top.png

holiday%20event.png

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

And last, but not least, a shout out to a community event coming up for the holidays!  The fourth annual Lunalong will be hosted by Dracaa next month on Xanadu, for Southern Isles residents. You can check out more details on the official Lunalong forum post below:

That’s it for this issue of the Valrei International! I hope you have all enjoyed the festive Halloween events and got some goodies, as well as made progress in some of your skills during the skillgain event.

• Like 42
  • Cat 1

what a lovely update! thanks Demonanightshade :)

Its always much more fun to see the update notes come to life with some atmosphere pics :) 

Rowina

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's working as intended or not.  I'm a new character and I have a guard tower on my deed with 4 guards.  When a MOB attacks me that I need help with, and I call for the guards!, all four guards react properly in chat, letting me know they're on their way. But only 1 or 2 come, and the others stand around. It takes 2, 3, and sometimes 4 calls for guards! for all 4 guards to engage.  

8 minutes ago, Chambertin said:

I'm not sure if it's working as intended or not.  I'm a new character and I have a guard tower on my deed with 4 guards.  When a MOB attacks me that I need help with, and I call for the guards!, all four guards react properly in chat, letting me know they're on their way. But only 1 or 2 come, and the others stand around. It takes 2, 3, and sometimes 4 calls for guards! for all 4 guards to engage.  

Has that still been the case since the 28th of October when the fix came out?

20 minutes ago, Chambertin said:

I believe it is intended for only 2 guards to respond at a time. This will allow you to call 2 guards on one mob, switch targets and call 2 guards to attack another mob (and possibly repeat for a 3rd mob).

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

status report on enabling PoK for defiance for all paths at level 11 while keeping the other bonuses disabled?

is it being considered or have we just forgotten about defiance at this point? do we have a pvp dev still? 

• Like 3

That graphic of the player running past guards with an angry mob of enemies chasing after him really hit me. 🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Has that still been the case since the 28th of October when the fix came out?

Yes, Demona, thank you. I'm reporting it as happening since the update.  All four guards respond in the text window.  But only two guards show up to my call for help.

40 minutes ago, Chambertin said:

All four guards respond in the text window.  But only two guards show up to my call for help.

It has always been like that, so I'm sure it is intended. If you want more guards to attack you have to call again (after waiting for at least 10 seconds). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chambertin said:

As Yaga said... it has always been like that. And it was explained us in the past that this is intentional. The idea is that you don't want to commit ALL the guards to each fight right away, in case another opponent shows up, or someone else in the area needs guards as well. But also like Yaga said, just call the guards again in 10 seconds, and the reinforcements will show up. Very useful against trolls ;) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chambertin said:

I’ve used this feature for the last decade or so, calling 2 guards, changing target and calling another 2, I’ve found it quite good at breaking up mob trains. On normal towers, with over 50ql you get 5 guards, so you can call 3 times. That can be the difference between life and death if you have more mobs than you can handle, you just have to keep running, retargeting and calling more guards until you have 3 tied up fighting, then clean up the rest, or get the heck out of there with your skin and tools intact.

• Like 2

I see presents under the Christmas tree!!!!

Is that a clue? ! ...or just the Christmas tree graphics. But then there is a Christmas package thing in the shelf too. Gift Boxes? Are gift boxes returning?

I see a chaise.. will we finally be able to recline like royalty? I think that's normally the only sitting thing we can not sit in, besides fountains.

I agree there has been a lot of updates.

Good work on the good updates o7

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valdor said:

As Yaga said... it has always been like that. And it was explained us in the past that this is intentional. The idea is that you don't want to commit ALL the guards to each fight right away, in case another opponent shows up, or someone else in the area needs guards as well. But also like Yaga said, just call the guards again in 10 seconds, and the reinforcements will show up. Very useful against trolls ;) 

Different guards from different kingdoms have different weapon specializations if I remember correctly ................... that said............. 

Discovered as a newbie when Q30 was EPIC STUFF RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH and decided to wield a q45 troll club and my FS eventually grew my character into a, back then, WO tough dude............ 

Find dead troll... or cause dead troll (heh heh!) ................. open corpse as container, take troll club...... go to random tower guard..... Look-> Equipment ..... 

Drag troll club to right hand, in other words, equip the darned thing on guard....... ever see 4 armed guards take down a troll?  You feel sorry for the troll for half a moment then cackle evilly!   

Cheers, people who didn't know this, you just turned your tower-guarded deed into a bit of a power house.

• Like 3

Thanks for the update - just a couple of notes though:

1) "likes to pick stuff up" appears to be working for the first time since the update, but I am finding that Fragments, coffee beans and tea seeds seem to be dropping. Is it possible the other items that animals are capable of picking up need to be reloaded? (Just a thought)

2) missing on your events list is the Oak Hill Rodeo and Hoe Down - Being held on Harmony at Oak Hill Ranch - from 11/14 through 11/20 (right around the corner)! Save the Date! 11/14-11/20 OH Rodeo and Hoe Down! - Harmony - Wurm Online Forum

Everything else is amazing and the coffee?! Nectar of the Gods, so glad we have it in game now 😁

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Now that meditation is literally 2x as fast can we please get it on defiance?

This is a fantastic update post.  The images add that fab bit of charm/love for the game.  Excellent!   Keep it up guys 🙂👍

• Like 1

I love the addition of coffee, tea and cacao, but I do have one issue, we cant use cream in our coffee or tea, we cant use sugar, honey, maple syurp or even lemon juice or even basic milk for most of the options.  The other issue is keeping the caffeine buff active. With alcohol we can always take, one more sip to boost alcohol power, with caffeine you have to hope you can lose enough water to keep the buff active and it's highly aggravating to get it full then lose it over nonsense.

2 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

I love the addition of coffee, tea and cacao, but I do have one issue, we cant use cream in our coffee or tea, we cant use sugar, honey, maple syurp or even lemon juice or even basic milk for most of the options.  The other issue is keeping the caffeine buff active. With alcohol we can always take, one more sip to boost alcohol power, with caffeine you have to hope you can lose enough water to keep the buff active and it's highly aggravating to get it full then lose it over nonsense.

Man does have a point.... caffeine tends to be a diuretic and well, can even leave one a drop thirsty.  Maybe have it lower one's water bar according to the caffeine drink's strength. 

(Then create a recipe that involves coffee, electrum, lemon, sugar, and glands, and totally not call it Red Bull because of copyright issues) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

It is actually even seems more weird somehow. For the first hour or so of slow sipping all good, at least water level does not go up. After some time though it is starting to increase for the 1g sips too and soon makes it impossible to drink any more coffee (in my small experience 16-17mins timer kahvesi is enough to allow the water level to drop for at least another sip).

I have never arranged to be punched in my stomach this many times in a spar to throw up as during last week...

• Like 1