Sign in to follow this  
Manachan

Just some hot air

100 sheets + 10 tar + 30 ropes + small brazier + 30  hull planks + 5 large nails + 2 ordinary planks + mooring anchor and other accoutrements = ?

1 hot air balloon - piloted like a ship with all the same types of quality limitations for speed (and obtainable altitude)

Imagine the screenshots!

Edited by Manachan
needs more nails
  • Like 5

I like the idea but I don't think hot air balloons fit the time period. Maybe a birds eye view could be made available through a falconry mechanic? I think that's been suggested before.

It's a great idea, though at the same time the biggest issue is that you could use it to bypass walls, and depending on how it works (fuel?) possibly even get stuck within a walled in area.

We don't even have jump in the game and you want them to implement a flying mechanic?

When do you want this "little" feature, in 2023? And how many good suggestions do the dev team not work on to implement such a big thing?

Imagine how much can be done if the same time was spent on literally anything else.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 1

Cannot change directions, as wind in wurm not the same as air streams at altitudes in RL, so therefore cannot plot course.  +1

31 minutes ago, Borstaskor said:

We don't even have jump in the game and you want them to implement a flying mechanic?

When do you want this "little" feature, in 2023? And how many good suggestions do the dev team not work on to implement such a big thing?

Imagine how much can be done if the same time was spent on literally anything else.

Wow, that's quite the massive reaction.  

I would love hot air balloons because I actually do adore them. 

Then again, they might not fit in a medieval world unless we bring in some sort of magic element.  With magic you can be more flexible. 

Make them move quite slow.  Maybe make them have a max height they can reach.  

If over water, make them just hover above. 

For pvp, it would be a good time to bring in new elements. 

Revamp the archery system so that you can have a more interactive experience when shooting in 3rd person. Be able to shoot quite far in the sky.  

Develop new magic spells such as fireball, acid ball and ice ball to cast at long range.  

Be able to shoot from ships and balloons with arrows or magic. 

Also be able to defend against magic and arrows with a new shield magic or potion. That and a new defence system where you can block hits with a shield from arrows by pressing a button at the right time.   If you have ranged attacks then you've got to have some way of defending against them after all. 

Also, how about adding a skill to ropes where you can start to drag a balloon down from the sky if you are near enough.  The more people with ropes attached to the balloon, the faster it comes down.  Then the people inside can be attacked at ground level. 

Personally, I love this idea or anything that would let us fly in the skies! Yes please!

Hrm...  A device I cannot imp (so likely would be unable to use), that would cause absolute havock to my home (I live up a mountain we hedged in to keep critters from wandering off)

But...  It would enrich the game world by giving crafters an endgame form of travel similar in potency to summon soul...

+1 from me, sometimes what we want needs to be put aside for the good of us all.

Simple solution to walled in area issue - make it so that if you land on a deed you do not have permissions for, it teleports you to the nearest perimeter instead ("a sudden gust of wind blows you N/S/E/W")

• Like 1

Or even easier, to what ether proposed : You cannot land on a deed except your own, period. You can land outside its perimeter to avoid any potential issues.  A potentially fair system would be to allow balloons to only land on "landing sites" which can be player constructed 5x5 areas that contain a landing scaffolding. This can prevent potential griefing so you can only land on certain spots. Carp / fine carp skill related, high end construction, can act as a landing beacon. 

This way baloons can be used for exploration while avoiding griefing possibilities. 

Course it opens up other can of wurms when it comes to finding uniques? Depending on speed one could view vast swathes of the map looking for dragons. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

Make hot air balloons like wagoneers, they float above a highway so not to interfere with deeds and have to plot course to another village on that highway

• Like 1