Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Calling all Wurm Historians!

WurmOnline_HistoriansPost.png

Have you been around since the early years? What do you feel are the most interesting events in Wurm history?

I've already been gathering the usual stuff (launch dates, server births, major client changes etc) for the 15-year anniversary video, but I just bet that YOUR morsels of history would be much more fun, interesting and tasty! It would be awesome to include them in the video too!

So massage those noggins of yours and see if you can remember interesting stuff that's happened over the years. 

Add them into the thread in the following format:

Year:  (if you can't remember the year, just make a rough estimate or leave blank)
Event:  (feel free to use as many words as you need to describe the event)

Again, I'll need to set a deadline so that I can finalize the plan for the video, so please respond by November the 10th!

Love, Malena

• Like 3

2007: The Balmore Troll Bomb

The village of Libilian Outlaws (https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Settlement:Libilian_Outlaws) had tower and deed chained all the way from N13 (in-game chaos map) to D13. In that time it was quite a feat, no horses, boats, wagons, large carts etc. They were a direct threat to Independent Settlers and other small homesteads around. They also clinched a pivotal regional spawn being trolls. Now at this time trolls were super hard to fight 1v1 and still quite difficult with 2 and were one of the more optimal spawns to train on. At the time I was living in Independent Settlers and I remember Gavin, Tehheretic and Rhapzody acting as drones and going out to search the area. After gathering intel for a few weeks and finally able to gather numbers not to only fight the people who inhabited the village, but to fight off the local troll tribes that resided within the thick forest. After the long walk to LO, we were met by Balmore about 5 minutes away from LO. The group of 20 White Lighters chased the cunning Black Lighter back to deed. After exchanging a few small fights near the LO Front Desk, we had noticed that Balmore was out of local for quite some time. We continued around to the north side of the deed where the dirt walls hadn’t been complete yet… Balmore hit local.. Madt quietly whispered (it was like 3am in England) “Balmore is in local”. Starving (aka Starvingmidget/Geoffrey) who was always loud in Ventrillo screams “OHH MY GOD BALMORE IN LOCAL”. Then we saw him, by himself at the edge of the fruit forest, bobbing and weaving in and out. He then presented himself fully on the single tile gravel road… About 30 trolls followed him and then he banzai crashed into our group with his minions. Ventrillo erupted into screaming, laughter and foul language. Out of all of us only 3 perished, Balmore, Gavin and poor Madt. From that day on Jenn-Kellon decided to just leave LO alone. This event lead up to LO founding Libilian Outlaws Landbridge which held many skirmishes that could be their own stories.

Sorry if it’s too long but the only story that rivals that one is the LoL crew breaking the EMR NAP(for me). Unfortunately I don’t think that many people are around from the Balmore Bomb event, which sucks because everyone there on both sides were great people.

• Like 7

when we went all over the place on a hunt and at the end we received the dragon fang statue , that was the best adventure ever

• Like 5

Who wants to the tell story of when i oppsed and conjoined 2 buildings and the events that took place afterwards?

• Like 1

Christopher recalls the Independence 10th anniversary

I'll add to that the other GM organised events, I'll put those that I remember in a spoiler as the list is long

Spoiler

The Treasure Hunt organised by Enki on Celebration, back in 2016, woven around the backstory of the New Horizons Expeditionary Force.

and the Wurmiversary 2018

The Treasure Hunts by Spellcast, a year earlier, one on each server (forum post links in spoiler, as there are a few).

Spoiler

and the only one I didn't take part in, but included for completeness

And the scavenger hunt on Independence

And those more maze like events

I had forgotten how long ago this one was - there was talk of having further events there, but...

and

I have a feeling that there were more, but...

As special as all those staff created events are, I think the event that I most remember was my first Impalong on Pristine back in 2013.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 2

From November to December 2014 we built the longest stretch of road ever attempted in Wurm, from K11 to K17 on Xanadu.

This was the 1-tile Hellhound Trail (now a massive highway). When we paved the last tile on 28th December, East Xanadu and West Xanadu were finally for the first time connected by traversable road.

1-tile does not sounds as so much of a triumph, but this was through the most desolate landscapes in the game, as there were not a single settlement anywhere near the entire road. Scouting ahead was a problem, since our Fight Skill were ok but not great. At one particular ridge we had to tunnel through without really knowing where we would end up. 

The road builders were Tessy, Ingar, Izzyizzyizzy and myself, with some assistance from Enaifos, Zkovacs and Whippy. A highway already existed from the West coast to K11 (built by Delone), and some roads led rom K17 to the East coast (main highway built by Mortomes and Ryamu). 

Soon after, Milosanx made this video of a full journey from West coast to East coast, of which the 1-tile HH trail is the center part:

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 2

The Labyrinth deed was pretty great, especially since players created it and the GMs got behind supporting their efforts. Love that deed, and the reward for making it through!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Holar said:

2007: The Balmore Troll Bomb

I remember this well! Thought it was a stroke of brilliance back in the day when spawns like Trolls were regional, i remember founding right in the middle of them and being told i was mad, paid off that day 🙂

Edited by Zerobyte
  • Like 3

We were just talking about it the other day: who has the details of when someone emptied their prayer pennies container and lagged the whole server out? Probably back 2014 or so. That was definitely an event!

• Like 2

That time when Rolf turned PVP on for the old home servers!

• Like 3

Facepunch invasions, especially the one on Golden Valley back in 2010 that settled above Blood Gulch on a mountain. It was known as Minges Tirith

4chan invasions

I believe Rolf have even thanked them, as Wurm hit an all time high player count at that time.

Sadly these invasions stopped pretty much after 2011-2012ish with the rise of Minecraft. At least there hasnt been one on the magnitude of the old ones that happened before 2010. 

The semi regular zombie events at Freedom Market hosted by MrBloodworth were great too. Or the infamous siege of Sparta by MR on Chaos, when they spent 30hours+ flattening it to the ground, and where Rolf stepped in to change how disintegrate worked. That really pissed off a lot of players.

I also remember the invincible Nogumps and spirit drakes? That appeared on Freedom shortly after Epic was released and wreaked havoc across the servers. They were so deadly and overpowered that nobody could take them on. Not even fully geared pvpers helped by guards. Only Venom had a chance to kill them.

Edited by nitram20
  • Like 1

I was cleaning out my old photobucket (I downloaded it and uploaded it to imgur, since they're not jerks about sharing images) and found this gem from back when I first started playing:

B0WRTiU.jpg

LOyWqpr.jpg

Edited by LadyCygnet
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NeeNee said:

We were just talking about it the other day: who has the details of when someone emptied their prayer pennies container and lagged the whole server out? Probably back 2014 or so. That was definitely an event!

A very brief description of the specifics - apparently we need to find Emoo to tell the full story! 

I'm not sure if this is the same story or just similar instance of it, but it also involves having a GM have to remove coins from players inventories to keep their client from crashing. 

This bugfix seems to be the point where the issue was addressed by having a max of 100 items in a container, and this comment in particular is meaty: 

I can understand some upset to these changes, but there's no sane reason to be packing around 15,000 iron coins, lol.

Do Wurm players ever do anything for a sane reason though?  Have you met us?? :D

• Like 3

How about the Great server meltdown? cant remember the exact date, my account is dated march 2 2008, so that was when the forums where alive again.

Was Gold one, Wurm was finally pay to play, we had rushed off to Wild server to start LO 2.0, had the best ever location for a PVP deed thanks to bier.

Fun was starting then....you cannot connect....wurm forums gone too! UGH! Panic!!! on IRC, the servers melted, was about a month before everything was fixed and Gold 2.0 began

Edited by Zerobyte
  • Like 1